Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: Spotted Horses on June 12, 2024, 07:29:58 AMI looked this up and noted that it is a mono recording. You consider this a cut above the Eric Parkin recordings, Lyrita and Chandos (which I have but have not gotten around to listening to)?

No I would not say that. I plan to return to Eric Parkin after spending time with Rowlands which will be the acid test.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on June 11, 2024, 11:29:03 PMI got it wrong, PD. I am in fact three issues short on LP! Confusingly Lyrita do not distinguish between issues apart from LP number, which are RCS 15/23/24/28/29. I have 15 and 28. The set of three CDs (REAM.3112) is complete.
According to one site (Discogs), at least on their later reissues (early '70's) they had a volume number listed on the edge of the LP cover.  From the images that I was able to pull up, it looks like the only thing that they did differently was regarding the listing of the works in that gold box.

Hope that you enjoy your CDs!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Just bought off Discogs:

This will be my third set of the Zemlinsky SQs and, actually, I've been looking for this 2-CD set with the Schoenberg Quartet on Chandos for quite some time.
"You cannot set art off in a corner and hope for it to have vitality, reality, and substance." ― Charles Ives

Traverso

Reger

Finally took the step to purchase this massive box of 17 CDs with Reger's organ works.
It feels wrong to ignore Reger's music as it deserves more attention.
I shall listen to it in small portions. :)

JBS

Quote from: Traverso on June 13, 2024, 05:54:39 AMReger

Finally took the step to purchase this massive box of 17 CDs with Reger's organ works.
It feels wrong to ignore Reger's music as it deserves more attention.
I shall listen to it in small portions. :)

I was wondering about that set.
But it would be a luxury purchase, since I already have the other two complete sets.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Traverso

Quote from: JBS on June 13, 2024, 07:47:13 AMI was wondering about that set.
But it would be a luxury purchase, since I already have the other two complete sets.

I saw that this set had received good reviews, the price of 50 euros including shipping makes it a no brainer for me.

Without wanting to go back too far in the history of the performance of Reger's organ works, the year 2002 should be remembered, when the Italian organist Roberto Marini managed to perform Reger's complete organ work in his home country in sixteen recitals. In 1996 he had already focused on the 'integral' of Bach's organ works. The Reger recordings began in 2010, a colossal project that was completed in 2013 and has now been reissued by Brilliant Classics. No less important is the new critical-scientific work edition of the Max-Reger-Institut that was the basis for it, but also that Marini mainly used organs from the Reger period, instruments that are characterized by their orchestral richness of color and dynamic expansive possibilities, with Reger's (possible) sound performance as a starting point. As a result, quite a few organs were involved, with the organ of St. Florian, the cathedral in Fulda, the basilica in Ottobeuren, St. Martin in Dudelange, the Erlöserskirche in Bad Homburg, the Evangelische Stadtkirche in Giengen an der Brenz, the Moritzkirche in Halle, St. Johann and the Reformierte Stadskirche in Schaffhausen. On the Internet you can easily find the specific characteristics of the organs used and their church environment.

Technically Marini is the perfect organist, but also in terms of the level of performance, the interpretation, one could not wish for a better advocate of this colossal oeuvre. Marini's excellent choice of organ obviously also played an important role. They clearly play music with a lot of love and affinity with this music, surrounded by soothing acoustic warmth and atmosphere. The advantage of the chosen instruments is also clearly evident in the recording: the organ sound is beautiful, varying from the beautifully colorful, often 'soft' but stable-concise foundation that is created with the 8-foot registers to the mighty crescendi that Marini creates. knows how to elicit the organs. 'Partiturtreue' is paramount for Marini: there is no ''geschmiert' ' or tampering anywhere, as is clear from the (unfortunately even older) editions that were available to me, but in this respect they are no less telling. The conclusion cannot be anything other than that these organ works, which are inspired by German Late Romanticism, are given the best conceivable performance.

Can the music world, can we, do without the music of Max Reger? No, that is possible and we cannot do that. If you are not (yet) convinced of this: listen to the first CD of this magnificent release.

VonStupp

Josef Rheinberger
Sacred Music

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

JBS

The Amazon price for this has dipped back to $70, so I pulled the trigger. I'll probably donate my copy of the older version to the local Friends of the Public Library.
The main inducement is the much better packaging.

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on June 13, 2024, 07:05:06 PMThe Amazon price for this has dipped back to $70, so I pulled the trigger. I'll probably donate my copy of the older version to the local Friends of the Public Library.
The main inducement is the much better packaging.

Interesting. I actually gave this set to a fellow forum member after I had acquired the EMI iteration. I guess the quasi or wannabe collector in me wanted to hang onto the relic.
"You cannot set art off in a corner and hope for it to have vitality, reality, and substance." ― Charles Ives

JBS

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 13, 2024, 07:31:18 PMInteresting. I actually gave this set to a fellow forum member after I had acquired the EMI iteration. I guess the quasi or wannabe collector in me wanted to hang onto the relic.

The paper sleeves on the old version always irked me. They did switch out a couple of performances, but not many. Am I correct in thinking they didn't remaster anything for the new set?
But I did wait over a year to get it. I hope they get around to doing the same thing with the old Elgar Collector's Edition, which had the same cheap packaging.

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on June 13, 2024, 07:46:55 PMThe paper sleeves on the old version always irked me. They did switch out a couple of performances, but not many. Am I correct in thinking they didn't remaster anything for the new set?
But I did wait over a year to get it. I hope they get around to doing the same thing with the old Elgar Collector's Edition, which had the same cheap packaging.

Yeah, nothing has been newly remastered. The paper sleeves aren't great by any stretch, but the collectability of the set is why I kept this one and gifted the newer one.

Mirror Image

Just bought on @Mandryka's recommendation:

JBS

JBS

And a small order from Presto

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on June 16, 2024, 02:11:19 PMAnd a small order from Presto

I bought the Tippett when it came out and I still haven't got around to listening to it yet. Vänskä's Mahler is quite good, but I haven't really sunk my teeth into his cycle yet.

Wanderer

Madiel

Catching up on this thread for the first time in about 7 weeks.

I've sent one package of souvenirs and Knick-knacks home from Spain (to my parents) and it arrived safely. I'm thinking of sending a second. But reading about how the USPS can announce it's disposed of a package has me  :o  :o  :o
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Madiel on June 21, 2024, 06:03:07 AMCatching up on this thread for the first time in about 7 weeks.

I've sent one package of souvenirs and Knick-knacks home from Spain (to my parents) and it arrived safely. I'm thinking of sending a second. But reading about how the USPS can announce it's disposed of a package has me  :o  :o  :o

The USPS handles shipping packages from Spain to Australia?

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

ritter

Quote from: Spotted Horses on June 21, 2024, 06:54:03 AMThe USPS handles shipping packages from Spain to Australia?

We've been invaded and I haven't been informed?

Brian

Quote from: ritter on June 21, 2024, 07:50:50 AMWe've been invaded and I haven't been informed?
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition American invasion!