Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

Quote from: ritter on June 21, 2024, 07:50:50 AMWe've been invaded and I haven't been informed?

We will be installing McDonald's and Starbucks on every block. You can thank us later. ;)

ritter

Quote from: DavidW on June 21, 2024, 08:00:37 AMWe will be installing McDonald's and Starbucks on every block. You can thank us later. ;)
They're already here (on almost every block)...

Madiel

Quote from: Spotted Horses on June 21, 2024, 06:54:03 AMThe USPS handles shipping packages from Spain to Australia?

Honestly I wouldn't put it past them, it wouldn't be the weirdest postal experience I've had.

But we draw the line at Starbucks. Their failure in Australia is taught in marketing courses.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Maestro267

Quote from: ritter on June 21, 2024, 08:02:37 AMThey're already here (on almost every block)...

Speed and efficiency!

Elgarian Redux

Having been swept away by the Anna Moffo recording of La Rondine, I searched for a copy of this 10CD boxed set - and found one 2nd hand for £13, apparently the last one available in the entire universe.

Spotted Horses

Koechlin Chamber Music collection, SWR

Was drawn into Koechlin's chamber music by the string quartets. Starting to listen to this SWR set on streaming, found that there are numerous pieces of interest.

The physical box set is nla, but it can be obtained as a lossless download with a digital booklet. It costs $19.77 on Qobuz, $63.25 on presto classical (CD resolution FLAC). It would not have been a temptation at the presto price point. I think I'm done even checking presto for download availability.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Brian

Quote from: Brian on May 26, 2024, 05:01:01 PMArkivmusic had the Solomons Haydn box on Weekend Special, and then I added more new stuff until I hit free shipping at $150.

Bonus: Arkivmusic does not charge sales tax for my state. hmmmmmm....  :o might not be wise on their part, but saved me about $14!

Compared to Amazon, total list price savings across the four boxes is just $1, but the no tax thing...well, that's certainly good to know!

Exactly a month later, the Lloyd and Steinberg have shown up and been appreciated, but there is no trace of the Solomons Haydn...wonder what is happening on that...

JBS

Quote from: Brian on June 26, 2024, 07:16:55 PMExactly a month later, the Lloyd and Steinberg have shown up and been appreciated, but there is no trace of the Solomons Haydn...wonder what is happening on that...

Time for an email...btw, did you spring for the Mitropolous set?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

KevinP

Ordered yesterday:

Arrived yesterday:

Popping my Pettersson and B.Tchaikovsky cherries. Others are works I know. (I don't know all the works in the woodwind box, of course.)

Todd

First purchase in a few months.

Danel I is my reference set.  Time to hear if Danel II supplants it.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: KevinP on June 26, 2024, 08:38:53 PM

Thumbs up for this splendid symphony. Amazed that this is the only recording available. Thank God it is wonderful.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

ritter

From Ludwig Beck in Munich:

Good to have a modern recording of the ballet original version of Schmitt's La Tragédie de Salomé. Alain Altinoglu was excellent in Honegger's Jeanne d'Arc (live from Montpellier, on DVD), so I expect him to be very good here as well. I know the Chant élégiaque for cello in its version with solo piano accompaniment, but the orchestration is new to me.

I'm not much of a Copland fan, but my recent reading on Lincoln Kirstein's American Ballet Caravan, which commissioned and premiered Billy the Kid, has awakened my curiosity for the complete ballet. The other piece on the disc, the ballet Grohg,  is from the composer's time as a student of Mademoiselle Boulanger, and was withdrawn (with some of the music recycled in later works)

The new erato

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 27, 2024, 09:50:44 AMThumbs up for this splendid symphony. Amazed that this is the only recording available. Thank God it is wonderful.
So it didn't bomb?

André

Quote from: Brian on May 26, 2024, 05:01:01 PMArkivmusic had the Solomons Haydn box on Weekend Special, and then I added more new stuff until I hit free shipping at $150.

Bonus: Arkivmusic does not charge sales tax for my state. hmmmmmm....  :o might not be wise on their part, but saved me about $14!

Compared to Amazon, total list price savings across the four boxes is just $1, but the no tax thing...well, that's certainly good to know!

The Haydn Solomons box set is a great complement to the usual Parisian-London symphonies sets. It may be incomplete but what's in it is first rate stuff. Great playing, great sound.

André

Just bought from JPC, 3 discs on the elusive/expensive (but not this time !!) Camerata Asia label of music by Isang Yun. One of my favourite modern composers.

I already know some of these works, but Yun's cd output is widely duplicated, so it's not like there was a ton of options - especially since JPC'S 'specials' are so short-lived: blink or sneeze and you have to wait another 2-3 years 🫣

Brian

Quote from: André on June 30, 2024, 01:19:57 PMThe Haydn Solomons box set is a great complement to the usual Parisian-London symphonies sets. It may be incomplete but what's in it is first rate stuff. Great playing, great sound.

Thanks and so delighted to see you here again! I hope the Solomons set arrives in my mailbox now that you have returned here  :)

André

Quote from: KevinP on June 26, 2024, 08:38:53 PMOrdered yesterday:

Arrived yesterday:

Popping my Pettersson and B.Tchaikovsky cherries. Others are works I know. (I don't know all the works in the woodwind box, of course.)

The Bach B minor mass under Bernius is a wonder to behold. The B. Tchaikovsky symphony is a wonderful piece, I'm sure you'll enjoy it (vandermolen is a big fan 😉).

André

Receinved today. It came as a surprise, I had forgotten about that purchase 😮. One of my very favourite contemporary composers:

I know the piano quartet (from the Naxos issue), and I have the first 13 string quartets, but the rest is new. Meyer is IMO the most important polish composer of the last 50 years, a totally distinct voice from his elders Lutoslawski, Penderecki and Panufnik.

Roasted Swan

Ah the joy of Charity Shops.......

All 3 sets (total of 18 CD's) for £8.00

ritter

Just ordered:

I think this is all the Copland I'll ever need. OTOH, it is rather convenient to have it all in this set, with the added allure of the original covers.