Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Octave

Quote from: Scarpia on October 02, 2013, 07:25:24 AM
It may be my favorite set overall, although for individual symphonies there are other recordings I favor.
Any why would you cancel an order because someone else hates it.  No matter what recording you mention, someone will ridicule it.

Thanks for the response, Scarpia; you actually replied just as I was erasing the post.  The concern was just conscience prodding me.  Gotta stop making snap purchases.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

TheGSMoeller

Just bought this, because I need more horns, baby. I gotta have more horns!

Mirror Image

Just bought:

Bought all four volumes. As you can see, I don't buy in intervals like Sarge. ;) :D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 02, 2013, 07:51:50 AM

Monkey Greg, the forum's horniest member.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Drasko

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 02, 2013, 07:51:50 AM

... and you get beautiful string portamenti in scherzo of Dvorak 8th for free.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 02, 2013, 07:54:59 AM
Monkey Greg, the forum's horniest member.

Sarge

Keep my private life out of this!    ;D

Drasko

Quote from: Annie on October 02, 2013, 07:55:27 AM
It's not the best Karajan's Dvorak #8. As far as I know, this one was recorded for video simultaneously and sound and VPO are not in good shape at all...horns were not intended that way I guess  ;)

Are you sure you're not talking about mid 80s recording? That one is as well with VPO and released on DG and Sony VHS/DVD. This Decca one is from 1961, recorded by Culshaw at Sofiensaal. I'm not sure they did a video back then.

The new erato

Quote from: Scarpia on October 02, 2013, 07:25:24 AM
It may be my favorite set overall, although for individual symphonies there are other recordings I favor.

Any why would you cancel an order because someone else hates it.  No matter what recording you mention, someone will ridicule it.
Haitink's Das Lied is one of the greats.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Drasko on October 02, 2013, 08:11:12 AM
Are you sure you're not talking about mid 80s recording? That one is as well with VPO and released on DG and Sony VHS/DVD. This Decca one is from 1961, recorded by Culshaw at Sofiensaal. I'm not sure they did a video back then.

The liner notes (by Richard Osborne) make no mention of a simultaneous film being made. In fact, he says the recording continued to be revised over the next four years, not being released until 1965. That's a damned long time to have a film crew on standby  :D  As to Annie's claim that the WP was not in good shape then...well, just consider the stupendous, indeed, legendary recordings that orchestra made in the late 50, early 60s.

Sarge

Parsifal

Quote from: Annie on October 02, 2013, 08:34:10 AM
You should forgive a lady who has witnessed the deadliest conflict in the history of mankind even though she is not the typist  ;)

You're talking about the dust-up on the "most underrated composer" where someone inexplicably failed to show reverence to kyto?  Yes, it was brutal.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Scarpia on October 02, 2013, 09:22:21 AM
You're talking about the dust-up on the "most underrated composer" where someone inexplicably failed to show reverence to kyto?  Yes, it was brutal.

HA!!

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Annie on October 02, 2013, 09:29:39 AM
You are one of the main characters here not letting music lovers discuss anything valuable, attacking with your narrow information and view, which I'm sure not your intention

If you mean a good dose of sarcasm isn't appreciated from time to time you're sadly mistaken.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Brian

Quote from: Annie on October 02, 2013, 09:29:39 AM
No, honey. I was talking about the actual WWII. I was merely 11 when hell let loose.

Forgive me for asking, but you were 11 on September 1, 1939, or you were 11 for Pearl Harbor?

Parsifal

Quote from: Annie on October 02, 2013, 09:29:39 AMYou are one of the main characters here not letting music lovers discuss anything valuable, attacking with your narrow information and view, which I'm sure not your intention

I had no idea I had the power to prevent music lovers from discussing anything valuable.  I wonder how I do it.

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on October 02, 2013, 09:32:36 AM
If you mean a good dose of sarcasm isn't appreciated from time to time you're sadly mistaken.

Happy to oblige!

Papy Oli

A little Dvorak order :

[asin]B0033KR5Z2[/asin]

[asin]B00BX2JFTQ[/asin]
Olivier

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Papy Oli on October 02, 2013, 02:18:04 PM
A little Dvorak order :

[asin]B0033KR5Z2[/asin]

Good man  8)

Sarge

Papy Oli

Olivier

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Papy Oli on October 02, 2013, 02:27:23 PM
you have a lot to answer for...  :P

"Who, me?" says Sarge, as he slowly backs out of the room, suitcase in hand.

Octave

Olivier, I have been loving that Stamitz Quartet set.  It's my first time through all the Dvorak quartets, and it's been a treat.

[asin]B006KAWI2C[/asin]
Arthur Rubinstein: COMPLETE ALBUM COLLECTION (Sony, 144cd)
Thanks to Todd for the heads up on a good price at Importcds; mine shipped today.
I've liked all the Rubinstein I've heard, but only spent real time with a bunch of his Brahms and his ~60s Chopin recordings.

[asin]B001NBS5NE[/asin]
Haydn: COMPLETE SYMPHONIES [Dennis Russell Davies] (Sony, 37cd)
No thanks to Brian for sucking me back in.  Even if I end up not liking, I think I'll learn a lot going through them all, "again" or otherwise.

[asin]B00000IG2X[/asin]
Handel: CANTATAS [Véronique Gens & Les Basses Réunies] (Virgin)
Someone here recommended this to me, sorry I forget who...thanks!
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Parsifal

Quote from: Octave on October 02, 2013, 08:51:30 PM[asin]B00000IG2X[/asin]
Handel: CANTATAS [Véronique Gens & Les Basses Réunies] (Virgin)
Someone here recommended this to me, sorry I forget who...thanks!

Might have been me:

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,21520.msg713112/topicseen.html#msg713112