Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

I just couldn't help myself:

This will be my first Lang Lang recording and I've purposely avoided him until I saw this disc. Now, my interest has definitely peaked. These are two of my favorite PCs with Rattle at the helm and this supposed 'virtuosic firebrand' at the piano. Should be good.

Mirror Image

milk

I'm hoping this will be a gem. Had a heck of a time finding a performance of the Martin to download. I got the CD in the mail today. 

Karl Henning

If my name were "Marc Briquet," my nickname would be "Charcoal" . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

North Star

Got these from post today:
Quote from: North Star on October 17, 2013, 01:07:50 AM
[asin]B00004W553[/asin]
[asin]B000EBD85E[/asin]
[asin]B00004Z3YI[/asin]
[asin]B0000262OH[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

milk

Quote from: karlhenning on October 29, 2013, 04:45:21 AM
Mr. Bloch: Mr. Leggo? I know, wrong spelling and not as good as yours.
Got this one today also:

And this finally came in the mail:

North Star

Coleman Briquet, sounds like Les Six meets jazz..
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Brian

"Bri-kay residence, lady of the house speaking..."

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Dancing Divertimentian

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

kishnevi

Ordered this afternoon (Arkiv is now running a sale on some selected Naxos CDs of which these are some)
Hat tips to Greg, Erato, and Lethe (for the Moeran), and probably others here that I've forgotten about. Other than the Rachmaninov,  I don't have other recordings of these pieces, and in fact, except for Bloch and possibly Casella and Turina,  I have no other recordings from these composers.  Which is why Lethe gets a hat tip....

Daverz

Also Archivmusic:

[asin]B00F8ONWMG[/asin] [asin]B00F8OO3EC[/asin]

milk

I'm enjoying this series too much not to have them all. I decided I like it much better than the Schoonderwoerd (more drama, more color, more verve!). With all the HIP Mozart out there, perhaps it's not getting so much attention. But I think there is much to recommend here.

Sergeant Rock

Schoeck and Schreker recommended by Jens; Rameau recommended by Monkey Greg (and not recommended by Gordon Shumway  :D )

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: sanantonio on October 30, 2013, 05:22:48 AM
That Notturno is fantastic, but it is the only work of Schoeck's that speaks to me.

Quote from: sanantonio on October 30, 2013, 05:54:54 AM
When I wrote that Notturno was the only Schoeck work that spoke to me, I erred. Elegie, Op. 36 is another work of his I like, quite a bit - maybe even more than Notturno.

Nothing by Schoeck has grabbed me, including the Elegie (which is a pretty popular piece around here--the problem is me obviously) but hope springs eternal. I bought the CD mainly for the Schreker but will give the Schoeck a fair listen.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

marvinbrown

Thanks to Opus106  8) I shall soon be the owner of this highly praised set:

[asin]B0000DET84[/asin]

The Alban Berg set is the only COMPLETE recording of the Beethoven string quartets that I have in my collection.  The Vegh recording has been unavailable for so many years and soon on Nov.11, 2013 on Presto Classical it will be released for £26.20 delivered!  So much praise has been heaped on this recording.

marvin

kyjo

Wakefield

Quote from: milk on October 30, 2013, 03:00:07 AM

I'm enjoying this series too much not to have them all. I decided I like it much better than the Schoonderwoerd (more drama, more color, more verve!). With all the HIP Mozart out there, perhaps it's not getting so much attention. But I think there is much to recommend here.

No doubt these Brautigam/Kölner Akademie/Willens disks are uniformly excellent. However, I disagree about the comparison with Schoonderwoerd because I think his Mozart on Accent (the solo keyboard performances included) is one of the most exciting services provided today to the composer's music.

Schoonderwoerd seems dedicated to the labor of rethinking from a historical and critical standpoint every aspect of this music: The very nature of the instruments used, the relation between soloist and orchestra, the size of the orchestra, the origins and original scores of every piece and so. 

That said, although Brautigam and Willens are excellent, artistically and sonically they are a sort of middle point between Bilson/Gardiner and some great performances on modern piano, as Perahia or Schiff. 

"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

milk

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on October 30, 2013, 01:56:24 PM
No doubt these Brautigam/Kölner Akademie/Willens disks are uniformly excellent. However, I disagree about the comparison with Schoonderwoerd because I think his Mozart on Accent (the solo keyboard performances included) is one of the most exciting services provided today to the composer's music.

Schoonderwoerd seems dedicated to the labor of rethinking from a historical and critical standpoint every aspect of this music: The very nature of the instruments used, the relation between soloist and orchestra, the size of the orchestra, the origins and original scores of every piece and so. 

That said, although Brautigam and Willens are excellent, artistically and sonically they are a sort of middle point between Bilson/Gardiner and some great performances on modern piano, as Perahia or Schiff.
I really like the new recording of Schoonderwoerd playing Mozart's keyboard sonatas a lot. I think his take on them is really exciting. The tangent piano and the clavichord sound wonderful and he uses them to great effect. He really makes the music come alive. I never acquired the Bilson/Gardiner concerto set but I do have Immerseel's and and Levin's respective sets. I like Brautigam's gusto...seems like Schoonderwoerd is a bit more delicate and deliberate. I'm glad to have all these in my collection though and I'll still consider picking up the next Schoonderwoerd release.   

The new erato

I ordered this as all sources declares it significantly better than the Haim version which I have. And of course the cantata series on Glossa are all brilliant.