Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The new erato

This appeared in the mailbox today. Now I need to figure out what to do with it.

Todd

Quote from: The new erato on October 31, 2013, 10:23:00 AM

I ordered this as all sources declares it significantly better than the Haim version which I have. And of course the cantata series on Glossa are all brilliant.

I'm torn.  On the one hand, I want you to report back; on the other, if you report that the recording is as good as the cantata series, that's more money I will have to spend during a busy holiday season.  That Ms Invernizzi is involved almost guarantees the outcome.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Brian

Quote from: The new erato on October 31, 2013, 10:26:41 AM
This appeared in the mailbox today. Now I need to figure out what to do with it.

Set of coasters? Prop up a wobbly table?

The new erato

Quote from: Brian on October 31, 2013, 11:13:56 AM
I'll fetch a saw and get me a wobbly table, Good idea!

Wakefield

Quote from: milk on October 30, 2013, 09:58:06 PM
I really like the new recording of Schoonderwoerd playing Mozart's keyboard sonatas a lot. I think his take on them is really exciting. The tangent piano and the clavichord sound wonderful and he uses them to great effect. He really makes the music come alive. I never acquired the Bilson/Gardiner concerto set but I do have Immerseel's and and Levin's respective sets. I like Brautigam's gusto...seems like Schoonderwoerd is a bit more delicate and deliberate. I'm glad to have all these in my collection though and I'll still consider picking up the next Schoonderwoerd release.   

I tend to agree with all of that, even the more delicate and deliberate playing of Schoonderwoerd in the piano concertos.

BTW, I had forgotten those piano concertos played by Robert Levin. Do you know how many solo concertos were recorded by Levin/Hogwood?
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Florestan

I'm back in bussiness.  :D

[asin]B001WKHZH8[/asin][asin]B002NWRMRC[/asin]
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Florestan on November 01, 2013, 03:40:07 AM
I'm back in bussiness.  :D

[asin]B001WKHZH8[/asin]
Despite liking the period and the group (and having a host of good reviews), that is just one disc I just cannot seem to find any empathy for. It is quite odd and I still can't put my finger on the problem.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

The new erato

Quote from: mc ukrneal on November 01, 2013, 04:30:51 AM
Despite liking the period and the group (and having a host of good reviews), that is just one disc I just cannot seem to find any empathy for. It is quite odd and I still can't put my finger on the problem.
I did like it a lot at last listen. I'm good at alliterations.

kyjo

Quote from: Florestan on November 01, 2013, 03:40:07 AM
[asin]B002NWRMRC[/asin]

There's a string orchestra version of the Octet? I must hear it!

Todd

While perhaps not the greatest pianist in any repertoire I've heard, I decided to basically buy everything Leon McCawley has recorded that I don't already own.  I went with his newest Barber instead of his first effort.  I also tossed in a bit of Handel, because, well, the Glossa series is basically perfect.

[asin]B004CZ6HM4[/asin]

[asin]B00D8AIU7Y[/asin]

Brian

Quote from: Todd on November 01, 2013, 05:52:49 PM
While perhaps not the greatest pianist in any repertoire I've heard, I decided to basically buy everything Leon McCawley has recorded that I don't already own.

So you already have the Brahms, Beethoven Choral Fantasy, Mozart sonatas, and Schumann?

TheGSMoeller

Wakefield

"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Todd

Quote from: Brian on November 01, 2013, 07:44:57 PM
So you already have the Brahms, Beethoven Choral Fantasy, Mozart sonatas, and Schumann?

Didn't see the Choral Fantasy when I perused Amazon, otherwise yes.  I think I can live without another Choral Fantasy for a while.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: James on November 02, 2013, 07:05:35 AM
Ride & Dancetracks: Remix are excellent off of this one.

I got a chance to sample it on Spotify, and it was Ride that captured my attention. A unique concept magnificently executed. I'll spend more time with the other works when the disc arrives.

Octave

Quote from: The new erato on October 31, 2013, 10:26:41 AM

Quote from: Brian on October 31, 2013, 11:13:56 AM

Wait, are those recordings no good?  I was thinking of getting this collection, but I don't remember any warnings about it.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

The new erato

I haven't listened to it, so it was a joke meaning "how  in the world am I going to find the time to listen to it"?

The new erato

However big a backlog I may have; I still ordered these from europadisc to keep them happy:

[asin]B00E3D7Y0E[/asin]
[asin]B00COU06Y4[/asin]