Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kishnevi

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on February 25, 2014, 04:44:07 PM
Camelcamel alerted me to the fact the Amazon MP price on this was now under $20. 
[asin]B003H2E3D8[/asin]
Although the copy I ordered may have been the only one available at that price.  Sorry, fellas.  >:D
:'(
Turns out the only copy available at that price was not really available.  MP vendor cancelled the order on the grounds that it turned out they didn't really have it in stock.

Given all the other stuff I've ordered this week,  I won't cry too hard. :'(

listener

music from Prague in the 1920's and 30's    all new to me

Burian: Small Overture, Op. 42 About Children
Hába: Nonet Number 2, Op. 41
Ponc: The Wedding Party on the Eiffel Tower, Op. 11
5 Small Pieces, Op. 9   5 Polydynamic Pieces, Op. 3   Cheerful Acrostics, Op. 12
Schimmerling: 6 Miniatures for Chamber orchestra
Ullmann, V: Lieder (6) nach Gedlichten von Albert Steffen, Op.17

"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Todd

Went shopping at a bricks and mortar store for the first time in a year and a half.  There has been an 80%-85% reduction in classical selection from that last visit I made to the same store.  On the upside, the Buchbinder LvB set was only $24.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

HIPster

Quote from: Brian on February 28, 2014, 07:38:40 AM
My "no purchases in 2014" rule included a clause, "...unless the bargain is too good to pass up." I had none of these recordings, and at US $31 including shipping, it qualified. So: purchased!

[asin]B005BZBY1I[/asin]

Well done, Brian!

This one - at that incredible price! - falls into that category.
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Willow Pattern

This set - I listened to a couple of the Discs already and its awesome! :D:

kishnevi

Quote from: HIPster on February 28, 2014, 02:15:48 PM
Well done, Brian!

This one - at that incredible price! - falls into that category.

It's actually not the first time Harmonia Mundi has offered this box at that price.
I got curious, and checked my order history at Amazon UK.   I too ordered it off Harmonia Mundi's Amazon UK Marketplace store, back in June 2012, and looking now I see I paid 18.07 GBP: 14.99 GBP plus 3.08 GBP s/h; the exchange rate at that time apparently turned this into 29.12 USD.

As I recall, there were several other GMGers who also ordered it at that price at that time.
Second chances don't come often,  opportunity normally doesn't knock twice, etc. etc.
IOW, if any of you didn't get it then,  GET IT NOW!

Ken B

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on February 28, 2014, 04:37:46 PM
It's actually not the first time Harmonia Mundi has offered this box at that price.
I got curious, and checked my order history at Amazon UK.   I too ordered it off Harmonia Mundi's Amazon UK Marketplace store, back in June 2012, and looking now I see I paid 18.07 GBP: 14.99 GBP plus 3.08 GBP s/h; the exchange rate at that time apparently turned this into 29.12 USD.

As I recall, there were several other GMGers who also ordered it at that price at that time.
Second chances don't come often,  opportunity normally doesn't knock twice, etc. etc.
IOW, if any of you didn't get it then,  GET IT NOW!
I think pricing in classical music refutes most theories of economics.

The new erato

Chandos offer on europadisc. Time to test the water with Raff:

[asin]B00I5302IO[/asin]

The recent Toccata issue with some very wortwhile chamber muisc by Ben-Haim, made me order this:

[asin]B00CLFYWF6[/asin]

Harry

Quote from: Conor on February 28, 2014, 02:51:08 PM
This set - I listened to a couple of the Discs already and its awesome! :D:

Yes last year I praised this set also into heaven, it's completely awesome.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

Quote from: The new erato on March 01, 2014, 05:27:09 AM
Chandos offer on europadisc. Time to test the water with Raff:

[asin]B00I5302IO[/asin]

Erato my friend, I would be very much interested to hear your view on the Raff, compared to Stadlmaier's take on Tudor.

The new erato

I dont't have the Tudor set (if I did I wouldn't have ordered the Chandos). But there's been some discussion of the two series over at the unsung composers site.

http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,4845.0.html

Harry

Quote from: The new erato on March 01, 2014, 06:18:15 AM
I dont't have the Tudor set (if I did I wouldn't have ordered the Chandos). But there's been some discussion of the two series over at the unsung composers site.

http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,4845.0.html

Well Jarvi's tempi's are certainly much faster as Stadlmaier, which can work both ways. The sound picture is very lush, I hope that does not obscure detail. But as said I have the Stadlmaier, and his tempi sounded to me spot on.  Hmmm, well I will wait until the price drops on that one. He is also recording the Atterberg Symphonies, and I must admit being curious about those too.

ritter

I really should stop going out for lunch in the vicinity of my local brick and mortar shop  ::) but well, here you go:

Yet another tragédie lyrique, by a composer completely unknown to me...

I've always considered Diego Ortiz's Recercadas a masterpiece by any standards, but never got around to buying Savalls's recording of the pieces...well, today I finally did!  ;)

Mirror Image

My order fell through with that Poulenc chamber disc w/ Pascal Roge, so to compensate, and to give me more of an incentive, I bought this this 2-CD set:

The audio samples sounded quite nice. I didn't do much research here, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of sets dedicated to Poulenc's chamber music for winds, so I happily took the risk.

Moonfish

Ansermet: French Music [Decca]

I couldn't resist (but then my finger is automatically drawn to ). Help! Help!
Looks like a great collection of French compositions. I had a few Ansermet recordings previously and they were very enjoyable.  Vive la France!!!

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

North Star

Quote from: Moonfish on March 01, 2014, 03:12:23 PM

Welcome to the forum! You've found all the right threads, I see ;)
That image should be posted in the CDCDCD thread, helps controlling urges..  :laugh:
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Ken B

Quote from: Moonfish on March 01, 2014, 03:12:23 PM

Looks like a great collection of French compositions. I had a few Ansermet recordings previously and they were very enjoyable.  Vive la France!!!

You know about this, right?

[asin]B0041MFIP0[/asin]

>:D >:D >:D >:D

Moonfish

Quote from: North Star on March 01, 2014, 03:20:42 PM
Welcome to the forum! You've found all the right threads, I see ;)
That image should be posted in the CDCDCD thread, helps controlling urges..  :laugh:

Ha ha! yes, indeed. I wish there was a way to delete it....  I have been sniffing in these threads before and you guys are the cause of way too many purchases... (it is easier to blame others!). Seriously, it is enjoyable to read all of the impressions in these forums. Not to speak about the bargain alert sensor level!!!!
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on March 01, 2014, 03:31:27 PM
You know about this, right?

[asin]B0041MFIP0[/asin]

>:D >:D >:D >:D

*squirms* Mmmmm, yes....... <guilty as charged>  ???

and......

[asin] B008NIS38C[/asin]

0:) 0:) 0:) 0:) 0:)
Anna Lappé

Daverz

Quote from: Harry's on March 01, 2014, 06:50:54 AM
Well Jarvi's tempi's are certainly much faster as Stadlmaier, which can work both ways. The sound picture is very lush, I hope that does not obscure detail. But as said I have the Stadlmaier, and his tempi sounded to me spot on. 

I have Butt, Herrmann, Stadlmaier, and Carthy, so I suppose I'll have to get this one, too.