Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonfish

Boult's mono cycle  - Vaughan Williams

[asin] B00007A3E2[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: Moonfish on November 09, 2014, 10:36:23 AM

[asin] B00007A3E2[/asin]
Monofish returns!

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on November 09, 2014, 10:37:37 AM
Monofish returns!

Yeah, historical recordings rock!!!!!    :-* :-* >:D
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

mc ukrneal

Finally ordered a few. The Monteverdi box was less than $40 at importcds in their 10% sale. Ends today or tomorrow.
[asin]B00L5J4QHS[/asin]
[asin]B000I2KJB0[/asin]
[asin]B0041HU41I[/asin]
[asin]B00KKXTN3M[/asin]
[asin]B00L99SXQY[/asin]
[asin]B005FMQBH4[/asin]
[asin]B00M2D7MDQ[/asin]
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Harry

Marvelous haul, love every one of them, the Foulds is on my list too. And yes the Bertali, one of the best discs I heard this year.
A lot of good listening here. And well the Monteverdi box is self recommending. :)
Enjoy.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Bogey

Quote from: Moonfish on November 09, 2014, 10:36:23 AM

[asin] B00007A3E2[/asin]

An incredible set there.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Mookalafalas

No purchases exactly, but the big Bernstein box finally rolled in. What a whopper! Terrific amount of interesting repertoire. My only concern is the frequency with which Gould comes up in the concertos :(. I'll try to listen with an open mind, but I generally prefer him to stay in his Bach-box. Of course like everyone, I've got a couple of 5-star alternatives for each of those anyway. 
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on November 09, 2014, 04:22:09 PM
No purchases exactly, but the big Bernstein box finally rolled in. What a whopper! Terrific amount of interesting repertoire. My only concern is the frequency with which Gould comes up in the concertos :(. I'll try to listen with an open mind, but I generally prefer him to stay in his Bach-box. Of course like everyone, I've got a couple of 5-star alternatives for each of those anyway.

Everbody but meeeeeeeeeeeeeee.  :'(

Brian has been taunting me ruthlessly!

Brian

Quote from: Baklavaboy on November 09, 2014, 04:22:09 PM
Dude. I've listened to like 7 of the CDs this weekend, and have successfully avoided Gould. (Isn't he only in like 3 concertos?) So far every single one has been gold! Right now, Rossini and Suppe overtures. This guy was good at everything. :)

Ken B

Quote from: Ken B on November 09, 2014, 04:38:03 PM
Everbody but meeeeeeeeeeeeeee.  :'(

Brian has been taunting me ruthlessly!

Quote from: Brian on November 09, 2014, 04:43:35 PM
Dude. I've listened to like 7 of the CDs this weekend, and have successfully avoided Gould. (Isn't he only in like 3 concertos?) So far every single one has been gold! Right now, Rossini and Suppe overtures. This guy was good at everything. :)

BASTARD!

;) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Artem

Found a used copy at my local store:

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Brian on November 09, 2014, 04:43:35 PM

I have the 5-disc player loaded up now.  Sonic heaven.  I put on the Bach, since it's disc one, with pretty low expectations. But even this is really sweet. Lenny just had really good taste--elegant, refined, with just the right touch of sentiment (of course having Isaac Stern visit for the violin parts doesn't hurt anything).  I have Bartok, Barber, and some Spanish music cued.
   I pity the poor suckers who are still waiting for this box to arrive, seething as they hear how much everyone else is enjoying it, constantly jumping up to peep through the blinds, only to find that the hoped-for UPS man is really just the neighbor's 8-year-old... :'(
It's all good...

PaulR

Just got back from the conference and bought FAR too many books and these two sets from Harmonia Mundi:

[asin]B00L5J4PYC[/asin][asin]B00LMDUFVI[/asin]

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on November 09, 2014, 06:44:47 PM
I have the 5-disc player loaded up now.  Sonic heaven.  I put on the Bach, since it's disc one, with pretty low expectations. But even this is really sweet. Lenny just had really good taste--elegant, refined, with just the right touch of sentiment (of course having Isaac Stern visit for the violin parts doesn't hurt anything).  I have Bartok, Barber, and some Spanish music cued.
   I pity the poor suckers who are still waiting for this box to arrive, seething as they hear how much everyone else is enjoying it, constantly jumping up to peep through the blinds, only to find that the hoped-for UPS man is really just the neighbor's 8-year-old... :'(

Thread duty:
So impressed with his Mahler I forked over eleven whole dollars for
[asin]B004H6P2LU[/asin]
I think this is my ninth Brahms symphony cycle  ???

listener

Importcds.com  ordered direct to save amazon's basic charge applied to each item,
DVD   René Clair's Italian Straw Hat to replace my awful VHS copy and Itami's Tampopo because it too is a classic
Cds include BIZET Le Docteur Miracle   ROPARTZ: 'Cello Rhapsody etc., the organ of Osterhanninge and a tour of 7 organs in the area of Newburyport Mass..  SAVE10 is the sale code to get 10% off their already low prices
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Brian

Good choice, Ken; Levine's Brahms is not just good, but distinctive and unlike the others.

listener - I did enjoy Le Docteur Miracle. Not profound, but a lot of fun.

Moonfish

Quote from: Baklavaboy on November 09, 2014, 06:44:47 PM

+1

Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

Just bought for $24 via Presto Classical:

This set has definitely flown under my radar on more than a few occasions and once I found this deal on Presto, I couldn't refuse.

Cosi bel do

Finally decided myself...

Now targeting the Seon and Monteux boxes. I'm sure the newer Bernstein on Sony, and the third Ansermet set, will see their prices fall in the future...

Cosi bel do

Quote from: Ken B on November 09, 2014, 07:17:21 PM
Thread duty:
So impressed with his Mahler I forked over eleven whole dollars for
[asin]B004H6P2LU[/asin]
I think this is my ninth Brahms symphony cycle  ???

Also you shouldn't miss Levine's Schumann cycle which I really find wonderful :