Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

king ubu

Quote from: Que on December 02, 2014, 11:41:23 AM
There are a few more options: Lubimov (Erato), Brautigam (BIS), Van Oort (Brilliant) and Badura-Skoda (Naïve,  OOP).  :)

Q

I know ... but I don't think I need 'em all  ;)

Would get PBS in a minute if I could, though.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Que

Quote from: king ubu on December 02, 2014, 11:55:32 AM
Would get PBS in a minute if I could, though.

Me too!  :)  (sorry for the misunderstanding)

Purchased today:

[asin]B009PHRIAE[/asin]

My listening pile grows and keeps getting better. Now I need some time to actually listen to all that stuf before the year is out.... ::)

Q

Mirror Image

Just bought my 19th (or 20th) Sibelius symphony cycle:

Bought this for $24 (incl. shipping). Not a bad deal at all.

Moonfish

Maazel 

Supposedly cursed by bad sound, but I guess I will find out.....  :-\

[asin] B0056K4V04[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

I couldn't resist:

Bought this for $84 via Presto Classical. One of the best deals I've seen for this set. Now, I own most of the sets of Messiaen. The only ones I'm lacking are the EMI and Naive sets.

André

Quote from: king ubu on December 02, 2014, 01:38:40 AM

plus the first of a bunch of Supraphon items, again courtesy of Presto's:

[asin]B00KLPXLG4[/asin]

This is one of the most bewitching violin boxes on the market. Haendel is magnetic whatever she plays. If only it was sold here  :'(

kishnevi

Ordered late last night from Arkivmusic's Cybermonday sale...so late that there was no point in posting the $15.79 price for the Wagner box to the SDCB thread.  For which deleriction of duty I cry mea maxima culpa.

Ken B

.[asin]B007WB5DI4[/asin]

king ubu

Quote from: Que on December 02, 2014, 11:58:04 AM
Me too!  :)  (sorry for the misunderstanding)
No problem! I have many Mozart recordings, but mostly on piano ... and I feel like I've got about enough for the time being (don't know Lubimov or Brautigam at all yet, but I'm eyeing the later's Beethoven set - though again there I've got more than enough - just very little on period instruments).

Quote from: André on December 02, 2014, 04:22:29 PM
This is one of the most bewitching violin boxes on the market. Haendel is magnetic whatever she plays. If only it was sold here  :'(
Agreed! Only have one of her single Supraphon "In Prague" discs so far (Glazunow/Wieniawski/Stravinsky if I'm not mistaken - all that's in the box, but spread among various discs), but I have some other recordings of hers - Enescu's third sonata with Ashkenazy was one of my big entry points into classical. And there's a disc on Vocalion including the Mendelssohn concerto ... and her late solo Bach of course.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

eoghan

Popped into the Music & Video Exchange (in Notting Hill in London) and bought some dirt cheap LPs (some as little as 10p).

Leonard Bernstein at the piano playing the Ravel concerto (superb) and the second Shostakovich (not bad either if a little heavy in places)
Brendel - 1977 recording of LVB sonatas #3 & #11
Martinu - Symphony No 1/Inventions (Czech PO/Neumann)
Arrau doing LVB sonata #1 and concerto #2 (with Concertgebouw/Haitink)
Strauss - Four Last Songs etc (Schwarzkopf/Berlin Radio SO/Szell)
Schumann - piano and cello concertos (Richter and Rostropovich)
Marriner with a selection of baroque pieces including a Telemann viola concerto
Murray Perahia playing Mozart's first four concertos
Elgar - Symphony No 1 (LPO/Handley)
A double LP of Frans Bruggen playing Italian sonatas (Corelli, Verecini, Barsanti, Frescobaldi, Vivaldi, etc)
Wilhelm Kempff with a selection of short Germanic morcels
Michala Petri playing several recorder concertos (Vivaldi, Sammartini, Handel, Telemann)
Barto - The Miraculous Mandarin (NYPO/Boulez)
Britten - Canticles (Pears, Britten, etc)
Debussy - Images/Childrens Corner (Benedetti Michelangeli)

Plus, because I was feeling flush, I splashed out a fiver on a Suzuki CD of Bach cantatas :P

Wanderer

Delivered yesterday and today:

[asin]B004RCMMJ4[/asin][asin]B00HCSRTO8[/asin][asin]B00NJARO02[/asin][asin]B00NJARPGA[/asin]

Moonfish

The Monteux box arrived today. It just took two days from Japan to California! Amazon.jp are truly amazing in terms of delivery.
This is very enticing.....

[asin] B00MAPMAFQ[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

EigenUser

Quote from: Ken B on December 02, 2014, 06:39:02 PM
.[asin]B007WB5DI4[/asin]
I'm curious what you think of it when you get it. EERM is my favorite Messiaen ever, but the Tombeau and Hymne are two Messiaen rarities that are very impressive -- more in the vein of L'Ascension.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

André

Mahler: the 10 symphonies; Das Lied von der Erde. Eliahu inbal Frankfurt RSO. Licensed to Brilliant Classics by Denon Records.

I had downloaded 7-8-9 and came to the conclusion that these were among their respective works' best interpretations, superbly played, translucently recorded (and these were just mp3). Exactly the type of honest, probing, unhistrionic approach thant puts me directly in touch with Mahler. Hopefully the rest will live up to this trio's expectations.

kishnevi

Quote from: André on December 03, 2014, 04:38:23 PM
Mahler: the 10 symphonies; Das Lied von der Erde. Eliahu inbal Frankfurt RSO. Licensed to Brilliant Classics by Denon Records.

I had downloaded 7-8-9 and came to the conclusion that these were among their respective works' best interpretations, superbly played, translucently recorded (and these were just mp3). Exactly the type of honest, probing, unhistrionic approach thant puts me directly in touch with Mahler. Hopefully the rest will live up to this trio's expectations.
I have the physical set.  For me, it has the best overall quality:  no individual recording is my preferred performance of an individual symphony, but a general high level and no misses in the bunch.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on December 03, 2014, 12:34:29 PM
The Monteux box arrived today. It just took two days from Japan to California! Amazon.jp are truly amazing in terms of delivery.
This is very enticing.....

[asin] B00MAPMAFQ[/asin]

Sweet looking set. I went ahead and put that and the Fricsay box in my Amazon.jp cart.  $181 for both, shipped.  My CD allowance will allow me to get both by Christmas week.  Surely that means it is fated to be... :-\
It's all good...

Ken B

Some Prokkers
[asin]B000088SWY[/asin]

[asin]B000000AVQ[/asin]

kishnevi

Quote from: Ken B on December 03, 2014, 06:45:16 PM
Some Prokkers
[asin]B000088SWY[/asin]

Who are the performers? Amazon US only credits it to Ensemble 404 URL not found.

North Star

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on December 03, 2014, 06:51:05 PM
Who are the performers? Amazon US only credits it to Ensemble 404 URL not found.
change the address to ... .co.uk/... ;)

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

kishnevi

Quote from: North Star on December 03, 2014, 07:13:36 PM
change the address to ... .co.uk/... ;)

Thanks.  Odd that the cover image showed even when the link led to a broken link.

I have the Vengerov in that set, but none of the others.
Thread duty
My Monday night order from Arkivmusic landed today; because of the Wagner box (I suppose) they sent it via FedEx, so it was waiting for me at my doorstep when  I got home tonight.  Which I hate because the ants get into the package and I have to clean them off right away.