Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que, ritter (+ 1 Hidden) and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Moonfish

Quote from: Que on December 30, 2014, 11:47:11 AM
Excellent deal! Glad that people find their way to that Vivaldi series. :)

For those who liks a reminder of the sets out there:
http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,1322.msg821987.html#msg821987

Q

Que,
The GMG community seems to overall have great love for the Naive Vivaldi recordings. I am glad that the label is making them affordable so one can dip one toes in the recent Vivaldi torrents. Besides, I am a sucker for vocal music...   :-\
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

[asin] B00064AF7I[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on December 30, 2014, 11:42:18 AM
I thought you were saving your money, MI?
Is there a word for this? Berliozed?    ;)

Well, I came to my senses. ;D

Cosi bel do

The price of the Bernstein Edition 2 went down to 64€ today on Amazon.it... But went up again tonight  :o

So here's where I am in my little game of overbuying recent boxes. I added boxes I bought (DHM 2; Bach/Isoir; Festetics/Haydn; and preordered Boulez DG box) and also the Accent one. I really hope seeing it at a fair price on the Western market... Or seeing it anyway, on Importcds for instance.
I am still hoping for a bargain on the Boulez Sony set and the Ozawa too. I definitely want them. Need them.

- The Art of Accent
Ansermet box 1
Ansermet box 2
Ansermet box 3
Bach/Isoir
Bernstein DG vol. 1
Bernstein Sony orchestral & concertos
- Boulez Columbia
Boulez 20th Century (pre-ordered)
DHM box 2
Festetics/Haydn
- Goberman/Haydn
Martinon/Sony (pre-ordered)
Monteux
- Ozawa
Richter Universal
Richter Sony
Seon

2014 will have been a great year for this. Now for 2015 I can't expect less than:
- a Charles Munch box (or even 3 boxes, one from EMI, one from Naive, one from Sony), though I don't know if I would really need it if I consider all I already have;
- a Eugene Ormandy mega box (oh it's coming for sure);
- others comprehensive boxes I expect from Sony: Mitropoulos, Francescatti, Serkin;
- a Stokowski/Decca newer edition;
- a big box in Vivarte/Accent/DHM style but with Arcana, and another one with Alpha (of course there's practically no hope there, Outhere wants to keep believing we're all still in the 90s)... Also Warner should do the same with the EMI/Virgin Veritas catalogue...
- after giving back the old Talich and Isoir recordings from Calliope, La Dolce Volta should also release again the Thiry/Messiaen, at least (even if many others are worth it, by André Navarra, by the Ensemble Philidor...);
- a Universal box with all the Boulez recordings for Accent;
- what about the recordings by Leonhardt on Philips?
- and of course Fricsay vol. 2 and Bernstein/DG vol. 2 (I might buy it after all).

André

Franco Fagioli, countertenor: Porpora il Maestro. 80 minutes of countertenoring in florid baroque arias .

Mozart, Schubert, Stravinsky: 2-piano works / transcriptions. The latter being of course The Rite of Spring  :o. Martha Argerich, Daniel Barenboim, pianos. DGG, live from the Berlin Philharmonie, 2014.

Mirror Image

Just bought these which will be continuing with the Berlioz madness:

Now, I have no more Christmas money. ;D

Moonfish

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 30, 2014, 05:44:59 PM
Just bought these which will be continuing with the Berlioz madness:

Now, I have no more Christmas money. ;D

There is always next year..!   8)
Please let us all know how your Berlioz journey comes along! He is not a composer I have listened much to beyond the famous SF so I am interested in your impressions.
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: Discobolus on December 30, 2014, 03:19:55 PM

So here's where I am in my little game of overbuying recent boxes. I added boxes I bought (DHM 2; Bach/Isoir; Festetics/Haydn; and preordered Boulez DG box) and also the Accent one. I really hope seeing it at a fair price on the Western market... Or seeing it anyway, on Importcds for instance.
I am still hoping for a bargain on the Boulez Sony set and the Ozawa too. I definitely want them. Need them.

2014 will have been a great year for this. Now for 2015 I can't expect less than:
- a Charles Munch box (or even 3 boxes, one from EMI, one from Naive, one from Sony), though I don't know if I would really need it if I consider all I already have;
- a Eugene Ormandy mega box (oh it's coming for sure);
- others comprehensive boxes I expect from Sony: Mitropoulos, Francescatti, Serkin;
- a Stokowski/Decca newer edition;
- a big box in Vivarte/Accent/DHM style but with Arcana, and another one with Alpha (of course there's practically no hope there, Outhere wants to keep believing we're all still in the 90s)... Also Warner should do the same with the EMI/Virgin Veritas catalogue...
- after giving back the old Talich and Isoir recordings from Calliope, La Dolce Volta should also release again the Thiry/Messiaen, at least (even if many others are worth it, by André Navarra, by the Ensemble Philidor...);
- a Universal box with all the Boulez recordings for Accent;
- what about the recordings by Leonhardt on Philips?
- and of course Fricsay vol. 2 and Bernstein/DG vol. 2 (I might buy it after all).

Discobolus,
Ah, we are both suffering from classical boxinosis. Achoooo!!!!  Your predictions for 2015 make me feel excited as well as fearful. [Al, are you reading this?]. A Francescatti set would be glorious. It would be nice (as you stated) if the Accent box became available in the US and Europe. Why the restriction?  Regardless, will we be cured in 2015? Will there be a vaccine? Is there hope..?     ::)
Anna Lappé

Cosi bel do

By the way, I don't know if anyone here ever ordered on HMV Japan (that is actually not affiliated to HMV anymore but to Lawson, a local company). But I'm currently living the WORST experience ever on any order I placed on a retail website.

I placed the order 2 months ago. Everything was supposed to ship in 10 days, but I really had to wait 6 weeks. Then everything was supposed to be delivered before Christmas. But the delivery failed today for the FOURTH time. After the 2 first failures, I tried to contact the delivery company but they only told me I should go to an office 10 kilometers from my home (and I don't live in the countryside, I live in the heart of the old Paris).
Then, it failed again a 3rd time, and I received a call informing me that the address was incomplete. It was : only the first word of the street name was printed on the package, and of course several streets in Paris start with the same words (even with the same ZIP code). So I was waiting for this delivery to happen today, but it failed AGAIN, it seems they incorrectly copied my instructions, or didn't have time to take these into account.
So here I am, again, on the delivery website, adding the basic informations (street name !) to this package. I checked of course, nothing was wrong originally with what I wrote at the time of the order, all the information is full and complete.

I contacted the customer service at HMV and they simply refused to acknowledge any responsibility. I sent them 3 messages explaining how they did mistakes, and how it is not acceptable to pay what I paid in delivery, to order 2 months in advance, and to see such failures in the end. All they said was to see that directly with the delivery company, that it's not their problem. They even answered one of the 3 messages with an automatic message saying they will consider my sugestions for their website (when I had selected "problem" and not "suggestion" in the first place).
I mean THEY mislabeled the address and everyone is guilty except them? Really?

The order was around €150 total, including €40 for delivery!

So, I can't be clearer than that: NEVER ORDER ON HMV.CO.JP!

Cosi bel do

Quote from: Moonfish on December 31, 2014, 12:05:43 AM
Discobolus,
Ah, we are both suffering from classical boxinosis. Achoooo!!!!  Your predictions for 2015 make me feel excited as well as fearful. [Al, are you reading this?]. A Francescatti set would be glorious. It would be nice (as you stated) if the Accent box became available in the US and Europe. Why the restriction?  Regardless, will we be cured in 2015? Will there be a vaccine? Is there hope..?     ::)

I know the vaccine: buy'em all, hoping you'll have everything soon. I mean everything, really, all the recorded classical music of the last century or so. It's not impossible anymore. :P

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on December 31, 2014, 12:05:43 AM
Discobolus,

I am, I am! Discobolus has a point, but it's finally sinking in how much I have that I haven't listened to.  I literally have a stack of boxes that I haven't touched yet.  I started playing some stuff from my barely touched Toscanini box from a year and a half ago, and it's really, really good.  I'm still on the wagon for now ;)
It's all good...

Cosi bel do

But that's also good if you consider it a challenge. A few months ago I considered the issue of all I had to listen to and decided it was a question of discipline. Listen to at least 2 or 3 new CDs everyday and no collection could resist you more than a few months. I know that even with a dozen boxes waiting for me, I must not have more than 500 CDs I haven't listened to yet. If I keep this pace I'll have finished them all in less than 6 months.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Discobolus on December 31, 2014, 05:20:02 AM
But that's also good if you consider it a challenge. A few months ago I considered the issue of all I had to listen to and decided it was a question of discipline. Listen to at least 2 or 3 new CDs everyday and no collection could resist you more than a few months. I know that even with a dozen boxes waiting for me, I must not have more than 500 CDs I haven't listened to yet. If I keep this pace I'll have finished them all in less than 6 months.

I was on a "box binge" for about 18 months.   I also download a lot.  Last time I counted (and it was a long time ago) I came up with around 3500 CDs. I play 3 to 4 new CDs a day, easily, but it will still take years just to sample everything, and I have boxes that I loved so much the first time around I can't wait to get back to them (Vivarte, Teldec, Das Altewerk, Erato, etc).  Anyway, dig in and enjoy! You won't be sorry...but it is still like trying to reach the end of a treadmill.  I was getting more than a box a week for a pretty long time, but I still couldn't keep up.   Even a kid in a candy store will eventually become satisfied :D
It's all good...

Cosi bel do

Well, when I say 2-3 new CDs a day that leaves some time to listen again to those you love. At least that works fine with me. According to what I read, I think we have approximately the same boxes :)

Mookalafalas

I'm afraid we are failing in "Thread Duty". Do you know the "box blather" thread? We should be over there, probably ;).
It's all good...

Karl Henning

Happy New Year's, lads!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mookalafalas

It's all good...

Mirror Image

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on December 30, 2014, 11:53:38 PM
There is always next year..!   8)
Please let us all know how your Berlioz journey comes along! He is not a composer I have listened much to beyond the famous SF so I am interested in your impressions.

Will do, Moonfish. You never heard Berlioz's Harold In Italy, Romeo et Juliette, or the Requiem? Wow!!!!

ritter

Last acquisitions in 2014 just arrived:

[asin]B008DK3Q96[/asin]

[asin]B001PLNEYC[/asin]

Best wishes for 2015 to all GMGers!!!  :)