Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on March 28, 2015, 04:56:09 PM
2 more purchases:

Very nice, Conor. I own both of these sets and they still remain sealed. ::) I'll get around to them (one year). ;) ;D Do you own the CPO sets of Milhaud? If you don't, I highly recommend those. Milhaud's VCs and his Symphony No. 6 are still my favorite works from his pen.

Green Destiny

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 28, 2015, 06:18:17 PM
Very nice, Conor. I own both of these sets and they still remain sealed. ::) I'll get around to them (one year). ;) ;D Do you own the CPO sets of Milhaud? If you don't, I highly recommend those. Milhaud's VCs and his Symphony No. 6 are still my favorite works from his pen.
Thanks MI :) - I do own the CPO set of Milhaud symphonies although I haven't listened to it in a while - currently playing Symphony No. 1 from this set. Very nice - I think I must revisit this music soon!.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on March 28, 2015, 06:21:40 PM
Thanks MI :) - I do own the CPO set of Milhaud symphonies although I haven't listened to it in a while - currently playing Symphony No. 1 from this set. Very nice - I think I must revisit this music soon!.

Sounds good. When you get to Symphony No. 6 let me know. :)

Green Destiny

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 28, 2015, 06:58:03 PM
Sounds good. When you get to Symphony No. 6 let me know. :)

Will do - yes No. 5 and 6 are my favourites from the cycle too :D

Green Destiny

Bit of an expensive weekend for me  :o ;D - got this set too:

Out of stock in UK amazon so I bought from IT amazon for the first time. So I got the French and Russian boxes now - not sure I need the European tradition one but well see :)

Chris L.

Time to dive into Telemann, a baroque composer that I'm not that familiar with.

ritter

From AmFr, this new collection of recordings with the Orchestre National de France:
[asin]B00SZ0ONZ0[/asin]
...and the catalogue of the Boulez exhibition in Paris (and not paying  much attention to all that absurdity and impertinence being flung around in the "Composer Discussion" forum on this towering figure in music  >:( ):
[asin]2330047967[/asin]

Mirror Image

André

Wagner's Ring (Karajan DGG), Berlioz' Requiem by Paul McCreesh and the Gabrieli Consort  (Archiv) and Bruckner's symphonies 8 and 9 (Schuricht and the WP).

André

(...) Ladies and gentlemen, back to Today's Purchases.

The Chicago Symphony Martinon box. Unbeatable price (I hope, 'cause it's on its way) from Amazon UK.

Mirror Image

Just bought this set for $6:

Basically, these are most of Armin Jordan's traversals of Ravel previously issued on Erato.

Que

Quote from: André on March 30, 2015, 05:58:27 AM
(...) Ladies and gentlemen, back to Today's Purchases.

We are back! 8)

The result of some off line bargain hunting today:

Q

aligreto

I do not know the work of Claudio Merulo so I have invested in these two double CD sets to get me started....

Que

Quote from: sanantonio on March 30, 2015, 09:22:19 AM
Wow, that's an impressive group.  Looks like you're delving more deeply into the Spanish renaissance.  Charles Levins is new to me.  Happy listening!

:)

Thanks. :)

I was lucky that the bargain store that I frequent just got some stock in from the Spanish La ma de guido and Verso labels.
Good times... 8)

Q

Que

Quote from: aligreto on March 30, 2015, 11:45:24 AM
I do not know the work of Claudio Merulo so I have invested in these two double CD sets to get me started....

Looks good. Let us know! :)

aligreto

Quote from: Que on March 30, 2015, 12:23:37 PM
Looks good. Let us know! :)

Will do; looking forward to exploring a new [to me] composer.

Harry

Quote from: Que on March 30, 2015, 12:14:11 PM
Thanks. :)

I was lucky that the bargain store that I frequent just got some stock in from the Spanish La ma de guido and Verso labels.
Good times... 8)

Q

I told you before I envy you greatly for this store.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

André

Following Peter's palmares of Planets recordings, the Dutoit and Elder discs promptly found their way to my mailbox. Thanks, PPP !  ;)

Another type of purchase, but one which will definitely break my listening habits: we bought a small cottage by the lake. Didn't have to break the piggy bank or beg the banker for a loan, which is the cherry on the sundae. Summer weekends will definitely not be the same !

Mirror Image

Christo

Quote from: André on March 30, 2015, 01:10:12 PMFollowing Peter's palmares of Planets recordings, the Dutoit and Elder discs promptly found their way to my mailbox. Thanks, PPP !  ;)

I was less lucky, as I found out that I already owned five out of the first six of PPP's favoured performances - and could only order for the Sargent 1958, the only one missing.  :)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948