Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 21, 2015, 11:55:50 AM
TWU = That's What's Up
I thought it stands for That was unexpected (usually in an ironical sense), per Karl's coinage.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

ritter

Jumping on te Ginastera bandwagon:

[asin]B000CCUA9C[/asin]
Both op. 26 and op. 33 are new to me....

André

Op. 33 is a beast  :o. I have it under Turovsky, who uses the scorched earth technique.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Daverz

Quote from: ritter on September 21, 2015, 02:04:50 PM
Jumping on te Ginastera bandwagon:

[asin]B000CCUA9C[/asin]
Both op. 26 and op. 33 are new to me....

There was a fabulous Lp of the Concerto per Cordes with Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra.  ...and now I read that Ginastera wrote it for Ormandy and the Philadelphians.

North Star

This was too good a bargain to miss, even though I do have more than enough on the way already to keep me busy for a long time.
[asin]B000FG4KBE[/asin]

My photographs on Flickr

kishnevi

Second row near dead center for this which managed to fly under my radar until this morning.
http://baileyhall.org/signature-series/item/jerusalem-quartet
For $25.

There is a link to the JQ website, with a listing of concerts through June 2016 for anyone interested in hearing them.

Bailey Hall is a secondary concert site in Fort Lauderdale, which is why the ticket was so cheap.

Ken B

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on September 22, 2015, 11:28:53 AM
Second row near dead center for this which managed to fly under my radar until this morning.
For $25.

There is a link to the JQ website, with a listing of concerts through June 2016 for anyone interested in hearing them.

Bailey Hall is a secondary concert site in Fort Lauderdale, which is why the ticket was so cheap.

Wow. Reasonable prices. An idea so crazy ...

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on September 22, 2015, 11:28:53 AM
For $25.

Excellent, the price and the program. Two thirds my ideal chamber concert.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

listener

at my local b&m
César FRANCK:  Piano Concerto no.2 in b, op.11,  Les Djinns, Symphonic Variations
François-Joel Thiollier, Martijn van den Hoek, piano    Arnhem Philharmonic   Roberto Benzi, cond.
GLIÈRE:  Piano works:  6 Morceaux op.26, , 3 Mazurkas op. 29,  3 Morceaux op. 19, selections from op. 43, 47 and Preludes op. 30
Corinna Simon, piano
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Ken B

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 23, 2015, 12:03:39 PM
Excellent, the price and the program. Two thirds my ideal chamber concert.

Sarge

? You want to hear those pieces played by a sextet?

Brian

Quote from: Ken B on September 23, 2015, 07:05:42 PM
? You want to hear those pieces played by a sextet?
If he's like me, he wishes the Bartok were something else.

Ken B

Quote from: Brian on September 23, 2015, 07:58:33 PM
If he's like me, he wishes the Bartok were something else.

Bartok 5 is one of the few quartets I have heard live. Blew me away. But I concede on disc I play it much less than Haydn or Dvorak. I think maybe in concerts I want something more emotional and aggressive; I like a little poise most of the time.

My cold Brian is holding. For now. Is there a fingers crossed emoticon?

Wieland

The new Belcea Quartet CD is out (at least in Germany) and in my hands. I will report.

Contents:
Webern Langsamer Satz + Fünf Sätze op.5
Berg Lyric Suite
Schönberg Transfigured Night (feat. Nicolas Bone & Antonio Meneses)

[asin]B015QKCJ66[/asin]

ritter

Apparently, the only more or less readily available book on Alberto Ginastera (ordered from AmFr - and I think I bought the last copy in stock  :-[):
[asin]2296036457[/asin]

And this rather odd DVD. Pierre Boulez conducts the Orchestre de Paris in Sacre and the Symphony of Psalms, both performed as ballets with horses  :o by the Compagnie Zingaro (led by Bartabas). Boulez's own Dialoque de l'ombre double is also included...
[asin]B001CCHQCK[/asin]

North Star

Quote from: ritter on September 24, 2015, 06:44:40 AM
Apparently, the only more or less readily available book on Alberto Ginastera (ordered from AmFr - and I think I bought the last copy in stock  :-[)

And this rather odd DVD. Pierre Boulez conducts the Orchestre de Paris in Sacre and the Symphony of Psalms, both performed as ballets with horses  :o by the Compagnie Zingaro (led by Bartabas). Boulez's own Dialoque de l'ombre double is also included...
Very nice, Rafael8) Would be interesting to know what you think of the Ginastera book.

The DVD does sound quite odd indeed. I don't think I would care seeing a ballet of Symphony of Psalms in the first place, let alone one involving horses.  ???

My photographs on Flickr

ritter

The Sacre is available on YouTube (here the horses do seem to blend in rather nicely  ;D). Voilà:

https://www.youtube.com/v/XrOUYtDpKCc

I really can't imagine how the Symphony of Psalms will be...very intriguing  ???

kishnevi

Decided to go for this when CamelCamel showed it under $80 (although tax and shipping brought it up to $88)

Seems to have been the only copy under $99