Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Finally, Simone Stella recorded a complete set of Johann Gottfried Walther's organ music, 12 cd for 30 euros, on the Zanin Organ in Padua.

http://walboi.blogspot.nl/2015/09/a-miracle-johann-gottfried-walthers.html?spref=tw
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Que

Quote from: Harry's corner on September 24, 2015, 10:40:27 PM
Finally, Simone Stella recorded a complete set of Johann Gottfried Walther's organ music, 12 cd for 30 euros, on the Zanin Organ in Padua.

http://walboi.blogspot.nl/2015/09/a-miracle-johann-gottfried-walthers.html?spref=tw

A 12 CD set of organ music by a German Baroque composer (a cousin of JS) I have only heard  of - oof!! ???

I guess I need to envestigate.... :) Pity Brilliant (again) doesn't use authenic German organs though..... ::)

Q

Harry

Quote from: Que on September 25, 2015, 04:47:58 AM
A 12 CD set of organ music by a German Baroque composer (a cousin of JS) I have only heard  of - oof!! ???

I guess I need to envestigate.... :) Pity Brilliant (again) doesn't authenic German organs though..... ::)

Q

Yes that is my only regret too. that it is only the Zanin organ, beautiful as it may be. But then again its a totally unique recording, not too expensive. Stella is a fine organist, so what he needs extra is a good recording engineer, and some spiritual guidance, I am waiting eagerly on some sound samples. If they are good in both cases I will despite my small misgiving buy the set.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Que

Quote from: Harry's corner on September 25, 2015, 04:57:08 AM
Yes that is my only regret too. that it is only the Zanin organ, beautiful as it may be. But then again its a totally unique recording, not too expensive. Stella is a fine organist, so what he needs extra is a good recording engineer, and some spiritual guidance, I am waiting eagerly on some sound samples. If they are good in both cases I will despite my small misgiving buy the set.

I agree! :)

Stella is a great performer and if the music is nice enough - I will be interested to sample it as well - I guess an Italian period instrument "after German style" is good enough.   :)

Q

aligreto

I have and like Beethoven Symphonies 1-8 under the direction of Hickox so, being a completist, I eventually finish off with No. 9.

Wakefield

I guess I need to envestigate.... :) Pity Brilliant (again) doesn't use authenic German organs though..... ::)

Q

But they use authentic Italian organs; I mean organs of indubitable Italian lineage. Well.... maybe here "authentic" is used in other way.  ;D
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

The new erato

Ordered these from mdt

[asin]B000VS8UM6[/asin]
[asin]B0107T9G3K[/asin]
[asin]B0000AN4FI[/asin]

71 dB

Ok, I decided to do something about my "stagnant" Weinberg exploration. I'm not sure I like Weinberg with choir or/and singing, but there's plenty of Weinberg without those things! The questions is what I will think of that Myaskovsky Violin Concerto... ::)

[asin]B0018OKH0U[/asin]
[asin]B0000DJEM3[/asin]
[asin]B009F2CWOQ[/asin]
[asin]B00GK8P0RO[/asin]
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Jo498

A couple of days ago I received my only september order with a bunch of used discs:

Telemann: Tageszeiten cantata (times of the day) Max (Capriccio)
The virtuoso harpsichord - Rameau (A. Heiller/Vanguard)
Handel: Concerti op.3 (Minkowski) - Water Music (Koopman) (Warner Ultima)
Mozart: Divertimento K 334 (Vegh/Camerata Salzburg) (Capriccio)
Bartok: Violin sonatas + Contrasts (Pauk, Jando, Berkes) (Naxos)

I think Koopman's water music is too chamberish and does not really add anything to what I already have, but the all the others are pretty good. As mentioned in another thread, Heiller does not play a historical instrument but it sounds quite nice (and with a few good effects) to my ears.
"Contrasts" is a fun piece and so far I had only had the historical premiere recording with the composer, Szigeti and Goodman which is in rather limited sound.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on September 26, 2015, 03:56:53 AM
Ok, I decided to do something about my "stagnant" Weinberg exploration. I'm not sure I like Weinberg with choir or/and singing, but there's plenty of Weinberg without those things! The questions is what I will think of that Myaskovsky Violin Concerto... ::)

[asin]B0018OKH0U[/asin]
[asin]B0000DJEM3[/asin]
[asin]B009F2CWOQ[/asin]
[asin]B00GK8P0RO[/asin]

Great haul, 71 dB. I really like that concerti recording on Chandos.

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 26, 2015, 05:42:11 AM
Great haul, 71 dB. I really like that concerti recording on Chandos.

Well, The Chandos disc certainly looks interesting and is a SACD! I listened to the Naxos disc with Symphony 19 on Spotify today just before ordering these CDs and I liked it a lot. Now I am listening to the Naxos disc with Symphony 12 and enjoying it just as much. So, Weinberg IS my cup of tea, at least without choirs and singing.  :) Weinberg's music seems to "correct" the problems I have with Shostakovich. It sounds sweeter and more luscious compared to Shostakovich's dry sarcasm I don't always swallow easily. Weinberg's music has a strange mesmerizing feel to it.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

ritter

I blame this on North Star  ;) (thanks, Karlo:) ):

[asin]B0063JALOW[/asin]

Karl Henning

Quote from: North Star on September 21, 2015, 12:01:12 PM
I thought it stands for That was unexpected (usually in an ironical sense), per Karl's coinage.

Perhaps my usage is a novelty!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: North Star on September 19, 2015, 02:00:19 PM
*putting all breakables away from the table before Karl sees this*[/b]

Safety first!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on September 26, 2015, 09:47:54 AM
Well, The Chandos disc certainly looks interesting and is a SACD! I listened to the Naxos disc with Symphony 19 on Spotify today just before ordering these CDs and I liked it a lot. Now I am listening to the Naxos disc with Symphony 12 and enjoying it just as much. So, Weinberg IS my cup of tea, at least without choirs and singing.  :) Weinberg's music seems to "correct" the problems I have with Shostakovich. It sounds sweeter and more luscious compared to Shostakovich's dry sarcasm I don't always swallow easily. Weinberg's music has a strange mesmerizing feel to it.

I wouldn't want to be without Shostakovich, but Weinberg is an excellent composer in his own right. The problem with Weinberg seems to be the quality of some of his music isn't on the same consistent scale as Shostakovich's whether you favor one over another is a different matter, but I just think Shostakovich tapped into that Soviet psyche and what it meant to be a Russian living in those grueling Stalin years. Weinberg can be a bit more lyrical than Shostakovich, but, again, I like both composers, but I'll always choose Shostakovich as his music is more in-line with my own personality and, more importantly, how I feel. If I had to pick a favorite Weinberg work it would be his Symphony No. 5 (Kondrashin performance only). The slow movement alone is a miniature masterpiece. I may even prefer this symphony to Shostakovich's own. :-\ :)

Thread duty:

Of course I already own the Part in it's original format, but I could no longer resist owning in this deluxe treatment. 8)

listener

Q
If you've kept LP equipment, E. Power Biggs recorded 6 of the concerto/transcriptions on the Silbermann organ of Freiberg, Saxony.   I saw the number of 111 recordings on a list for Biggs, there's a reissue-in-waiting.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Mirror Image

ritter

Another piano purchase this weekend, in order to explore a part of Roger Session's output I am completely unfamiliar with:

[asin]B000BRP1VK[/asin]

Mirror Image

Mirror Image

Just bought: