Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on June 04, 2016, 02:57:11 PM
From the CBS days I agree almost everything Lenny touched turns to gold so to speak, with the exception of Brahms where he is strangely detached.  Tchaikovsky and Beethoven were not up to his high standards either but they had to do more with the really bad recorded sound and balance than with anything Lenny did.

His DG days had more than its share of stinkers...

Every great conductor has to face the reality that not everything they touch will turn to gold.

Daverz

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 04, 2016, 06:26:20 PM
Every great conductor has to face the reality that not everything they touch will turn to gold.

Nevertheless, don't think I can concur about the Columbia Beethoven and Tchaikovsky.  At least not tne Eroica, which I listened to yesterday, and which I thought was a wonderful recording.

[asin]B00000I0W0[/asin]

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 04, 2016, 06:26:20 PM

Can you name a Cantelli recording that isn't at least excellent?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on June 04, 2016, 07:38:13 PM

Ummm...I don't even know who Cantelli is.

Pat B

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on June 04, 2016, 02:57:11 PM
From the CBS days I agree almost everything Lenny touched turns to gold so to speak, with the exception of Brahms where he is strangely detached.  Tchaikovsky and Beethoven were not up to his high standards either but they had to do more with the really bad recorded sound and balance than with anything Lenny did.

I find his 1960s Beethoven a mixed bag. 3, 4, and 8 are among my favorites and 5 is at least very good, but 2 and 7 are only adequate IIRC and 6 is a mess. I haven't heard the 1 or 9. I have too many 9s already (including both of his later ones).

Columbia was not known for great sound but I compared that 8 to his later DG recording and actually preferred the former sonically.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 04, 2016, 07:41:33 PM
Ummm...I don't even know who Cantelli is.
Died in the mid-50's in a plane crash. He was an Italian conductor of much promise, who had just been appointed head of La Scala. In terms of recordings, there really isn't much out there...
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Mirror Image

Quote from: mc ukrneal on June 04, 2016, 09:21:52 PM
Died in the mid-50's in a plane crash. He was an Italian conductor of much promise, who had just been appointed head of La Scala. In terms of recordings, there really isn't much out there...

Thanks for the info, Neal. :)

Daverz

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 04, 2016, 09:33:50 PM
Thanks for the info, Neal. :)

I've only heard the outline of the story given, but not sure I recall listening to any of his recordings.  There's this EMI box

[asin]B006LZN3ES[/asin]

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Ken B on June 04, 2016, 07:38:13 PM
When all your output basically fits on 8 cds it isn't terribly difficult I guess :D

Jokes aside a couple of conductors that I found have NEVER missed:

Gunter Wand (is there anyone who is better at doing Beethoven, Schubert, Brahms and Bruckner ?)
S. Skrowazewski
Michael Gielen
JoAnn Falletta

Mirror Image

Dvorak Supraphon pileup:

And I'm looking forward to every minute of exploration.

Madiel

It'd be quicker to list the ones you didn't buy. I think there are two.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Ken B

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on June 05, 2016, 04:39:00 AM
When all your output basically fits on 8 cds it isn't terribly difficult I guess :D

Jokes aside a couple of conductors that I found have NEVER missed:

Gunter Wand (is there anyone who is better at doing Beethoven, Schubert, Brahms and Bruckner ?)
S. Skrowazewski
Michael Gielen
JoAnn Falletta

Indeed.  ;D a little fun at John's expense ...

Seriously though this guy was the most amazing talent. Listen to his stero Franck, Beethoven 7, Brahms 3 and Schubert Unfinished. All war horses and all amongst the best performances out there. And that from a total of just a few studio recordings.

Ken B

Quote from: mc ukrneal on June 04, 2016, 09:21:52 PM

He was apparently in line for NY job which LB eventually got of course. Toscanini called Cantelli the most talented musician he had ever seen.

Mirror Image

Quote from: orfeo on June 05, 2016, 05:57:17 AM
It'd be quicker to list the ones you didn't buy. I think there are two.

;D Yeah, there were two I didn't get: the solo piano set and the complete SQs.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Ken B on June 05, 2016, 05:57:28 AM
Indeed.  ;D a little fun at John's expense ...

Seriously though this guy was the most amazing talent. Listen to his stero Franck, Beethoven 7, Brahms 3 and Schubert Unfinished. All war horses and all amongst the best performances out there. And that from a total of just a few studio recordings.

The cd set is quit a bargain. I just never pulled the trigger as almost everything on the set I have at least a dozen recordings of so am not really in need of additional recordings. Had there been something not quite as "warhorse" I would have bought the set.

Mirror Image

aligreto

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 05, 2016, 12:43:57 PM

QuoteI really need to slow down, though, orfeo as I'm scaring myself now! ;D I actually envy you in a way that you don't have this 'collector mentality' like I have where my impulses can't be stopped unless I smell the allure of a grilled pork chop. :)

Obviously there were no grilled pork chops being cooked for dinner this evening  :laugh:

Mirror Image

Quote from: aligreto on June 05, 2016, 01:26:51 PM

Obviously there were no grilled pork chops being cooked for dinner this evening  :laugh:

:P