Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Karl Henning

"Mistry" sounds like something you don't (or, may not) want to happen in court  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

aligreto

Quote from: karlhenning on August 05, 2016, 09:06:30 AM
"Mistry" sounds like something you don't (or, may not) want to happen in court  8)

When I bought it first I misread the Mistry for Misty and thought how appropriate given the cover artwork  :laugh:

Karl Henning

Quote from: aligreto on August 05, 2016, 09:09:44 AM
When I bought it first I misread the Mistry for Misty and thought how appropriate given the cover artwork  :laugh:

Yes!

Separately, the best thing of Bax's which I have yet heard is the trio for flute, viola & harp;  so I have high hopes for the Piano Quintet and String Quartet.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

aligreto

Quote from: karlhenning on August 05, 2016, 09:19:05 AM

Separately, the best thing of Bax's which I have yet heard is the trio for flute, viola & harp;  so I have high hopes for the Piano Quintet and String Quartet.

I have not heard that one Karl. I am a little light on Bax's chamber music; hence the purchase above. Duly noted on that Trio  ;)

Autumn Leaves

Quote from: orfeo on August 05, 2016, 02:41:22 AM
Enjoy. I certainly have.

Thanks, looking forward to hearing this one :)

Mirror Image

Just bought:

I remember hearing Gould's Billy the Kid years ago (on LP I believe) and I remember being completely knocked out by the realism of the audio quality and just the brilliance of Gould's interpretation. I never heard a Billy the Kid that has affected me in the same way as Gould's. Okay, so Gould doesn't have the New York Philharmonic or Cleveland Orchestra as his disposal. So what! The playing is never less than committed and this performance has guts.

Mirror Image

Just bought:

Bought this mainly for Schuman's Violin Concerto, which I needed a better performance of but the Ruggles and Piston will be nice additions.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 05, 2016, 02:12:21 PM
Just bought:

Bought this mainly for Schuman's Violin Concerto, which I needed a better performance of but the Ruggles and Piston will be nice additions.
Not that you really have that many choices...

Mirror Image

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on August 05, 2016, 02:57:25 PM
Not that you really have that many choices...

No, but the other performance I own (I forget the violinist's name) isn't too good. I listened to a bit of this Zukofsky performance on YouTube and it sounded fantastic.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 05, 2016, 03:16:18 PM
No, but the other performance I own (I forget the violinist's name) isn't too good. I listened to a bit of this Zukofsky performance on YouTube and it sounded fantastic.
Probably this one as it is the most readily available:

https://www.amazon.com/William-Schuman-Concerto-Triptych-Variations/dp/B00005AYEH/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1470443815&sr=1-1&keywords=philip+quint

It is not very good agree, a rather ho-hum and uninspired performance. Schuman's VC doesn't play itself and is rather long and needs all the help it can get. Funny a lot of the Naxos American Classics series like this one none of the performers are American.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: karlhenning on August 05, 2016, 09:06:30 AM

Ha!!

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Autumn Leaves

Just snagged this beauty - thanks to Karl for posting it:

Mirror Image

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on August 05, 2016, 04:42:00 PM

https://www.amazon.com/William-Schuman-Concerto-Triptych-Variations/dp/B00005AYEH/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1470443815&sr=1-1&keywords=philip+quint

It is not very good agree, a rather ho-hum and uninspired performance. Schuman's VC doesn't play itself and is rather long and needs all the help it can get. Funny a lot of the Naxos American Classics series like this one none of the performers are American.

Alright, this is actually the performance I was talking about:

The violinist is Robert McDuffie. One of the most uninspired performances I've heard and Slatkin's performance is terribly slack and uninteresting.

HIPster

Vivaldi/Modo Antiquo

[asin]B00F00A97Y[/asin]

On my list for a while.  ;)
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Ken B

To my eternal shame, since I have so much I haven't listened to (I have almost as many unheard discs as MI has unheard Sibelius disks  >:D) I bought the L'oiseau-Lyre Classical and Romantic box. 50 CDs.

Que

Quote from: HIPster on August 05, 2016, 07:22:13 PM
Vivaldi/Modo Antiquo

[asin]B00F00A97Y[/asin]

On my list for a while.  ;)

I will be interested to hear your impressions! :)

Q

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 05, 2016, 06:30:01 PM
Alright, this is actually the performance I was talking about:

The violinist is Robert McDuffie. One of the most uninspired performances I've heard and Slatkin's performance is terribly slack and uninteresting.

That is a pity.  I mean, on the one hand, it is good that another conductor took an interest in the piece;  but a shame that the piece was apparently done a disservice.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on August 05, 2016, 04:42:00 PM

That is indeed the first recording I heard of the piece.  Revisiting it today.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Fitzcarraldo

Stravinsky - Rite of Spring - Bernstein/New York Philha. O.
Prokofiev - Violin concertos - Schlomo Mintz/Abbado/Chicago Symphony O.
Beethoven - Triple concerto - Oistrakh/Rostropvich/Richter/Karajan/Berlin Philha. O.
Sibelius - Symphony 4 - Karajan/Berliner Philha.
Sibelius - Symphony 5 - Karajan/Berliner Philha.
Chopin - 24 préludes, op.28 - Pollini
Tchaikovski - Symphony 5 - Rostropvich/LSO
Tchaikovski - Symphony 4 - Rostropvich/LSO
Tchaikovski - Symphony 3 - Rostropvich/LSO
Shostakovich - Symphonies 1 & 9 - Haitink/London Philha. O.
Vivaldi - Concertos lute and mandolin - Farber/Orchestre de chambre du Wurttenberg, Heilbronn
Popular music from the time of Henry VIII - Hilliard Ensemble + membres du New London Consort