Author Topic: The future of GMG....  (Read 18877 times)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
  • Currently Listening to:
    ...Mist floating above the water...
Re: The future of GMG....
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2013, 08:22:43 AM »
I think John (Mirror Image)'s abstinence from CD purchase alone will save enough money to run GMG.

:P
“Works of art make rules; rules do not make works of art.” - Claude Debussy

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2013, 10:52:54 AM »
As Paul said we will find a solution to the problem one way or another, I have no desire to see GMG go, just because.....

Offline ChamberNut

• Veteran member
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2013, 01:45:53 PM »
Bug-finding notwithstanding, why wouldn't we actually cull the threads on some of the older pages in each section to free some space as well:

E.g.
Name that tune is 10 pages - cull the last 5
Introductions is 18 pages - cull the last 9
Diner is 173 pages - cull the last 50 or something like that
etc...

Actually delete the Old Listening/Purchasing thread in 2/3 months time as well ?

Bit drastic for sure but how many times would we actually go back to those ? That could maybe help and keep the General / Recordings / Composers as they are, which is the bread and butter of GMG...

PS : I didn't disregard Composing and Opera/Vocal on purpose... :-[ you see what I mean I hope...  :P

I agree, Papy.  We could probably cull any post prior to 2010, let's say?  Something like that.  Or what you suggested above.  Or delete posts from old deleted accounts, or any post with an image that is older than (such and such a date)?

The only images I post (usually), I think, are linked to a website link, or an ASIN link.  And, ALL of my purchases on Amazon.ca in the last few years have been GMG linked, thus a small part of that goes to GMG.

I am in the process of updating my PayPal, so that I can become a GMG subscriber again.  I rather just do straight credit card, but PayPal is the only option, so I need to recreate or update my existing PayPal account.

Online Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2013, 01:54:21 PM »
I agree, Papy.  We could probably cull any post prior to 2010, let's say? .

You're joking, right?  ???  You want to permanently destroy what Gurn, for example, has created in the Haydn threads? Or eliminate Luke's masterly postings on Havergal Brian? Oh no, you really have to be joking!

I suppose I'd agree about some threads (the purchase thread maybe) but even a thread like the Eating thread is valuable to some. Mrs. Rock, last weekend, went through all the posts...and had a great time doing so.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Online North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2013, 02:00:56 PM »
You're joking, right?  ???  You want to permanently destroy what Gurn, for example, has created in the Haydn threads? Or eliminate Luke's masterly postings on Havergal Brian? Oh no, you really have to be joking!

I suppose I'd agree about some threads (the purchase thread maybe) but even a thread like the Eating thread is valuable to some. Mrs. Rock, last weekend, went through all the posts...and had a great time doing so.

Sarge
+1

There are hordes of valuable information on posts from now-deleted accounts - e.g. Elgarian's, Karl's and Luke's (and not just on Brian - Ravel, Janacek, Martinu, Tippett, etc etc, too)  old ones, for example.  There are lots of sheet music uploads in the recognition game thread, though.

Unfortunately there are some posts of value in the WAYLT thread, too.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2013, 02:32:15 PM »
I don't think we will need to outright destroy old posts. As DavidW mentions, most forum software has a mechanism for creating plain text-file copies of old threads.

Offline ChamberNut

• Veteran member
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2013, 03:42:08 PM »

Sarge

Well, it was just a suggestion.  I don't find I go back and look at really old posts, but perhaps many others do.  Just trying to suggest ways of making the site easier to manage for Rob, that's all.  :)

Offline Sammy

• Veteran member
    Bach and Boris Tchaikovsky
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2013, 04:29:53 PM »
Well, it was just a suggestion.  I don't find I go back and look at really old posts, but perhaps many others do.  Just trying to suggest ways of making the site easier to manage for Rob, that's all.  :)

I thought it was an excellent suggestion - don't look back.

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2013, 04:51:58 PM »

I think the Diner would be an excellent place to start. There are threads there that could stand to end up in a digital dustheap somewhere; anywhere else!  :)

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Offline ChamberNut

• Veteran member
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2013, 04:55:38 PM »
I think the Diner would be an excellent place to start. There are threads there that could stand to end up in a digital dustheap somewhere; anywhere else!  :)

8)

Most definitely!  :)

kishnevi

« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2013, 08:16:29 PM »
Instead of deleting old posts,  I'd suggest deleting dormant threads--say any thread which hasn't been posted to in the preceding 24 months (that's an arbitrary number, more for illustration than suggestion)--any period which seems to indicate that no one has any current interest in it.  Perhaps a text only, read only archive might work for such threads. 

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2013, 08:22:52 PM »

On to the Diner!  (except the jazz thread ;))
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2013, 08:31:52 PM »
Hey Rob, have you contacted other forums (ie jazz) to see how the cull their stuff.  I know like listening threads are just dumped by some, or at least I think so.  Some seem to be dumped monthly.  Also, is the posting of more videos doing it?  You probably already thought of these things, but thought I would throw them out. 
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2013, 09:32:20 PM »
Like Papy suggested, get rid of the read-only listening and purchases threads. I doubt many people will bother going back to read those while they do contain some interesting commentary, if those two threads are taking up a lot of space then can them and this goes for any locked or read-only thread. The same applies to every thread in the diner. That whole section should be done away with IMHO. There are plenty of other forums people can go to to talk about films, books, other genres of music. I would also get rid of the "Buy, Swap, Sell," "Name That Tune?" and "Classical YouTube Library." In my opinion, these are useless sections that don't really add much to the overall forum. The "Polling Station" is kind of a fun part of the forum but is it really a part of the forum that contains much substance? Probably not. Anyway, just some suggestions.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2013, 11:23:05 PM »
I found the news disturbing. Of course, if money is the issue we'll chip in.

Though it does sound more of a technical problem - I hope there are some tech-savy members that can help Rob out? :)

Getting rid of extra weight reminds me of the story in a song called the "sleigh ride to Omsk". An entire family is on its way to Omsk through the snow by sleigh and is pursued by a pack of hungry wolves. To keep them at bay, one family member after another is thrown out. First the grand parents, then one by one the kids. When Omsk is finally near, only the father is left. The wolves get him too, just before the sleigh reaches the gates... :(

Anyway, I don't know how much space inactive member accounts take up? :)

Q

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2013, 06:10:51 AM »
Like Papy suggested, get rid of the read-only listening and purchases threads. I doubt many people will bother going back to read those while they do contain some interesting commentary, if those two threads are taking up a lot of space then can them and this goes for any locked or read-only thread. The same applies to every thread in the diner. That whole section should be done away with IMHO. There are plenty of other forums people can go to to talk about films, books, other genres of music. I would also get rid of the "Buy, Swap, Sell," "Name That Tune?" and "Classical YouTube Library." In my opinion, these are useless sections that don't really add much to the overall forum. The "Polling Station" is kind of a fun part of the forum but is it really a part of the forum that contains much substance? Probably not. Anyway, just some suggestions.

Be honest, John: if it were up to you, you would keep only the Delius and Shostakovich related threads (okay, maybe Koechlin, too).  ;D ;D ;D
I compose music because I must give expression to my feelings, just as I talk because I must give utterance to my thoughts. --- Rachmaninoff

Online North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2013, 06:17:38 AM »
Be honest, John: if it were up to you, you would keep only the Delius and Shostakovich related threads (okay, maybe Koechlin, too).  ;D ;D ;D
I was just going to post that John would cull the Mozart thread, too, before I saw this ;D.

Certainly there are lots of old threads that deserve the axe, but destroying everything before a certain date or something like that wouldn't work.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2013, 06:17:40 AM »

And the Purchases Today. I can't even imagine the deluge we are in for in March and December.
Regards,
Navneeth

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2013, 08:18:01 AM »

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2013, 08:18:42 AM »
I was just going to post that John would cull the Mozart thread, too, before I saw this ;D.