My new website (opinions please)

Started by XB-70 Valkyrie, March 20, 2013, 10:56:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XB-70 Valkyrie

Hi folks,

I have been wanting to publish a webpage for years, but I have finally been motivated to do it by an upcoming exhibition of my images (electron micrographs) of protozoa at the Exploratorium museum in San Francisco. This permanent exhibit measures 4' x 12' and features 11 of my micrographs. The print was mounted on a piece of Aluminum sheet metal and mounted on a wall in their Life Sciences room. The museum has moved to the piers and, following a lengthy construction period, will open on 17 April. I will post a detailed figure legend and other information about these organisms shortly.

Anyway, a couple of months ago I knew nothing about building a webpage, but with the help of WordPress, BlueHost, and some reading I was able to figure it out. This is just a simple WordPress template, but I really like the way it looks.

If you are  into art, science, and art/science things, you may find something interesting in the blog. I will eventually post CD reviews, etc. as well.

I am also in the job market, so if you know of anyone who would be interested in my skills, please let me know.

Anyway, here it is: kevinjcarpenter.com

Thanks for your comments.

Kevin

Here is an example of the type of images featured in the Exploratorium exhibit:

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

North Star

Seems very interesting, Kevin! Natural sciences (particularly chemistry) and Photography, especially b/w, are some of my biggest interest (guess what the third is...) Will definitely check out your site in more depth later.
(I found Atget from one of your posts, btw, thanks :) )
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

bhodges

Hi Kevin,

Congrats on the exhibit - spectacular photos! - and the blog looks great. I know a number of people who have used WordPress and they are unanimously happy with the results. (I would probably opt for it, if I weren't using TypePad - also easy to use for non-technical types.)

Nice Goethe quote on the homepage, too.

--Bruce

Szykneij

Excellent job, Kevin!

I'm not a science guy, but I enjoyed the blog. Great pictures, too!
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

david johnson

Very fine!  I did not know termites liked eating dirt  :)

Daverz

That the protists in the termite's gut have their own symbiotic bacteria reminds me of Jonathan Swift's verse:

"So nat'ralists observe, a flea
    Hath smaller fleas that on him prey;
    And these have smaller fleas to bite 'em.
    And so proceeds Ad infinitum."