"Why beauty matters" by Roger Scruton

Started by Daimonion, March 01, 2013, 03:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daimonion

We have been moved with our discussion to the margin, haven't we?  ;)

The new erato

They had bridges to nowhere in the good old days too, you know:

Daimonion

You are right! In "the good old days", however, I could have endured it;-)

Florestan

Quote from: The new erato on March 06, 2013, 12:56:30 PM
They had bridges to nowhere in the good old days too, you know

Quote from: Daimonion on March 06, 2013, 01:06:03 PM
You are right!

Not quite. In the good old days the bridge of Avignon was complete and in service, although in its late period it was rather dangerous. It's only in the 17th century that it was damaged beyond repair. But at any time between 1185 and 1600 you could have used it to pass from one bank to the other. :D

Above: A crop of a print of the town of Avignon by Georg Braun and Franz Hogenberg published in 1575 as plate 13 in Civitates orbis terrarum Volume 2. The picture shows the Pont Saint-Bénezet over the Rhone viewed from the south with Villeneuve-lès-Avignon on the left and Avignon of the right.

Above: Map of Avignon, 1663. It shows the missing arches.

Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Mirror Image

Why beauty matters? Why wouldn't it matter? It gets you away from the ugliness, nastiness, and vulgarity of this world and into a world that is pure and uplifting. If one cannot appreciate beauty, or whatever you find to be beautiful, then my suggestion would be to find out why you're cold, bitter, and emotionally detached. There are too many people walking around these days with hearts made of stone. If, for once, they would open up to the beauty of this planet and of nature in general, then perhaps, they too, will finally be at peace with themselves.

snyprrr

Karl Henning

Quote from: snyprrr on March 08, 2013, 07:00:54 AM
Self conscious prettiness is ugly.

Musical examples, please?

(* pops some corn *)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Cato

Quote from: Greg on March 08, 2013, 08:48:03 AM
http://www.musicalpaintings.net/

;)

Quote from: karlhenning on March 08, 2013, 09:19:07 AM
(* tee-hee *)

I'm not touchin' that link!

"Saul's music can be described as classical and romantic, and some of his music is meditative and resembles film music."   :o ??? ::)

Actually, there are other ways to describe Saul's music, but we want to be polite!   0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Daimonion

It is what my 8-years old daughter wrote in her private notes (I haven't discussed any art-related issues with her yet):

"Art is not about painting whatever you want? Quite the opposite! Whatever will happen to be treated as art (even garbage) can become a treasure. Mind that in such a case the definition of garbage will not apply to these things any more. One can say that our eye is our own critic (even though this critic does not wear a suit)"

I wonder what Mr Scruton would reply ;)

Florestan

Quote from: Daimonion on March 22, 2013, 01:55:51 PM
It is what my 8-years old daughter wrote in her private notes (I haven't discussed any art-related issues with her yet):

"Art is not about painting whatever you want? Quite the opposite! Whatever will happen to be treated as art (even garbage) can become a treasure. Mind that in such a case the definition of garbage will not apply to these things any more. One can say that our eye is our own critic (even though this critic does not wear a suit)"

I wonder what Mr Scruton would reply ;)

Firstly, it's not quite commendable to peep into your child's private notes. I hated it when my parents did just that. ;D

Secondly, congratulations for having such a smart daughter.  8)

Thirdly, if I were Mr. Scruton I would reply: "Such a notion of art, while natural for an 8-year child, is childish and immature when subscribed to by a mature human being."  ;D
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Daimonion

Hello Florestan! I hope you are doing great!

Concerning my daughter's notes, I have never read any of them without her consent (I can imagine some situations in which I would do this but I do hope they will never happen). Usually she just invites me to take a look (and I think that she wouldn't do this if I poke my nose into them) and the same applied to her (implicit) discussion with Roger Scruton's ideas:-)

Some more of the latter, this time on rock music:

"The music is assembled with a machine-like motion, with repetition as the principal device. Rhythm is generated by percussive sounds which often have little or no relation to anything else that is happening. The music itself may draw attention to this - opening with some mesmeric sound-effect or cheesy crooning, and then bringing in the drum-kit with a barrage of amplified noise, as when a gang which has been waiting quietly on the staircase suddenly breaks down the door" (Scruton, "Modern Culture", 2000, p. 106, emphasis added)

Florestan

Quote from: Daimonion on March 24, 2013, 01:30:59 AM
Hello Florestan! I hope you are doing great!

I really am, thank you. 8)

Concerning my daughter's notes, I have never read any of them without her consent

I'm sure you haven't, I was just tongue-in-cheek.  :D

"The music is assembled with a machine-like motion, with repetition as the principal device. Rhythm is generated by percussive sounds which often have little or no relation to anything else that is happening. The music itself may draw attention to this - opening with some mesmeric sound-effect or cheesy crooning, and then bringing in the drum-kit with a barrage of amplified noise, as when a gang which has been waiting quietly on the staircase suddenly breaks down the door" (Scruton, "Modern Culture", 2000, p. 106, emphasis added)

I can't say he's far off the mark.  ;D

[/quote]

This painting reminds me of a remark a friend of mine made many years ago while we were visiting Louvre. in front of a painting by Jacques-Louis David showing some Romans in battle: "What does this guy mean, that the Romans fought helmet on head and nothing on their penis?" :D