What is this piece

Started by StephenNunn, February 18, 2013, 10:39:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenNunn

I had a cassette, late 90's early 20's. It's main work was Brahms 4th. It had a one movement additional piece, quite stirring, a bit martial and dam busters dramatic that I remember the tune but not the name. I think it was conducted by Karajan, and possibly the Berlin Phil, and might have been via EMI.

I don't think it was by Brahms, certainly not the tragic or academic. Thought it may be by Saint Saens but cannot find it online. May relate to Romeo Juliette, but that's possibly wistful thinking.

Any thoughts?

Brian

This page lists the complete Karajan EMI recordings. Now, obviously these are new CDs so they could have totally rearranged what music is paired with what other music, but the Brahms Fourth now appears on a CD with Franz Liszt's Les preludes. It's not fun and light-hearted or anything, but it is martial and incredibly dramatic. Give it a listen on YouTube.

StephenNunn

Many thanks for that suggestion. I listened to it on the tube but alas it is not the elusive tune I'm seeking. On the other hand I had forgotten how good the preludes are so at least I've rediscovered that!

pjme

How about Sibelius' Karelia? ( alla marcia)

P.

StephenNunn

Thanks for the suggestion, but not Sibelius K suite. As I recall it is one piece work, and its crescendo a little more martial.

StephenNunn

I've got it! Actually after a huge tidy of the loft I found the cassette. It was Dvorak, Scherzo Capriccioso Op.66, with Dvoraks 4th in D minor. So whilst wrong about it being linked to Brahms, at least I had "4th symphony" correctly in mind.