Tcherepnin's Tchreasure Tchest

Started by Brian, March 14, 2013, 06:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato

Quote from: snyprrr on June 11, 2013, 07:38:34 PM
You're really trying to get this to Page 2, aren't you?!! :P

No.  Just reminding people of a great CD, and helping GMG earn a few nickels.

The big attractions on the CD are the two piano sonatas: the Second Sonata from 1961 is a rather spectral work, moody, yet at the same time cathartic.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Cato on June 11, 2013, 12:04:05 PM
I have completed listening to entire CD, which I mentioned a day or two ago elsewhere: highly recommended, either for those who have heard some of Tcherepnin's works, or for those completely unacquainted.

[asin]B007N0SXDQ[/asin]

Also recommended to the skeptics!   0:)

Giorgio is a fine pianist, and also a composer.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

snyprrr

Quote from: Cato on June 12, 2013, 03:55:44 AM
the Second Sonata from 1961 is a rather spectral work, moody, yet at the same time cathartic.

Well, THAT makes me want to hear it!!

Karl Henning

Yes, certainly more on the crisp and spritely side . . . though with Hanson, you may be trending thicker and creamier, eh?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Cato

Quote from: Cato on June 12, 2013, 03:55:44 AM
...: the Second Sonata from 1961 is a rather spectral work, moody, yet at the same time cathartic.

Quote from: snyprrr on June 12, 2013, 06:58:45 AM
Well, THAT makes me want to hear it!!

Somebody placed this performance by Maria Kalamkarian from an old LP (German) of the Second Sonata.

http://www.youtube.com/v/1PyBvpkuo8k

springrite

Quote from: Cato on March 26, 2013, 10:51:02 AM
If you want, one of his top works is the Second Piano Concerto, although the first two symphonies are not bad either.

Not nice to recommend the only PC of his I do NOT have!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Cato

Quote from: springrite on June 12, 2013, 07:46:14 AM
Not nice to recommend the only PC of his I do NOT have!

Such is the danger of GMG!!!   0:)

The various versions available (with the Singapore Symphony and Chetham Symphony) are quite fine: I do prefer the Singapore.  And if you can find it, there is a rare DGG recording of the composer playing #2 and #5 with Rafael Kubelik conducting.

I am not sure they ever sold it as a CD.

Brian

From the Tcherepnin Society homepage:

"In May, 2013 the Grand Piano label released Volume 3 (GP635) of pianist Giorgio Koukl's landmark 8-CD series devoted to the complete solo piano works of Alexander Tcherepnin, produced with the support of the Tcherepnin Society. ... A string of rave reviews greeted discs Nos. 1 (GP608) and 2 (GP632) of Mr. Koukl's series, released during 2012, and Grand Piano plans to issue the remaining CDs of the project by the middle of 2014. Releases have been scheduled as follows: Volume 4 (GP649), September 2013; Volume 5 (GP650), November 2013; Volume 6 (GP651), February 2014; Volume 7 (GP658), April 2014; Volume 8 (GP659), June 2014."

Cato

Quote from: Brian on July 07, 2013, 06:09:40 AM
From the Tcherepnin Society homepage:

"In May, 2013 the Grand Piano label released Volume 3 (GP635) of pianist Giorgio Koukl's landmark 8-CD series devoted to the complete solo piano works of Alexander Tcherepnin, produced with the support of the Tcherepnin Society. ... A string of rave reviews greeted discs Nos. 1 (GP608) and 2 (GP632) of Mr. Koukl's series, released during 2012, and Grand Piano plans to issue the remaining CDs of the project by the middle of 2014. Releases have been scheduled as follows: Volume 4 (GP649), September 2013; Volume 5 (GP650), November 2013; Volume 6 (GP651), February 2014; Volume 7 (GP658), April 2014; Volume 8 (GP659), June 2014."

Save those pennies, Dudes!  Yes, I have been impressed by these performances, and by those works which I have never heard! 

vandermolen

Just discovering this composer, although I think that I had an LP with piano concertos on (RCA?) his father Nikolai wrote a fine tone poem, rather in the spirit of Liadov, called 'The Enchanted Kingdom'. However it is Alexander Tcherepnin's Symphony No. 3 (1952) which has really grabbed me. I read a review mentioning that there were moments reminiscent of Alwyn and Moeran and this was enough for me to order it (inexpensively on Amazon). I have now played Symphony No. 3 many times and have not yet got on to the Piano Concerto No 6 or the Fourth Symphony. Apart from the aforementioned composers, Igor Markevitch's steely compositions come to mind. The thematic material is memorable and at times heroic sounding. I assumed that the triumphant end of the third movement was the end of the Symphony! The Symphony only lasts 26 minutes but contains a wealth of ideas and is, in my view, an inspired and individual work, with an oddly 'Chinese' feel at time (Tcherepnin spent time in China - I mean chronological time and not prison  8))
Well worth exploring:
[asin]B00007GXJ6[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Ken B

Quote from: Cato on March 27, 2013, 11:05:58 AM
Again let me recommend (at least) the first two Tcherepnin symphonies:

[asin]B00002R15J[/asin]

This also offers the Fifth Piano Concerto, which I have grown to like quite a bit throughout the years.

c. 45 years ago I (daringly) told Mr. Tcherepnin that the Second Piano Concerto was superior to the Fifth.  His reaction was very tolerant (he was probably amused), now that I look back at it.

Now I would say that the Fifth shows how his style evolved over the decades.
I just bought this. Popping my tcherry with this composer so to speak. :)

lescamil

Quote from: Ken B on March 14, 2014, 04:49:32 PM
I just bought this. Popping my tcherry with this composer so to speak. :)

Well, I can only hope Tcherepnin was gentle your first time around, heh.
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

Ken B

Quote from: lescamil on March 18, 2014, 11:50:34 PM
Well, I can only hope Tcherepnin was gentle your first time around, heh.
I rather liked the symphonies and will spin that disc again soon.

Cato

A few weeks ago, this CD was released:

[asin]B00HFDKT8S[/asin]

A curiosity: if you type "Alexander Tcherepnin" into Amazon, none of these Giorgio Koukl CD's is listed!

But if you just type "Tcherepnin Piano" then they all appear!

Brian

"This eighth and final volume of the complete Tcherepnin piano music series is devoted to music for children. It ranges from the optimistic Sunny Day from 1915, which the composer found and copied out on the day he died, and the vibrant Episodes, which he brought with him to Paris when exiled from Russia, to the devotional beauties of Histoire de la Petite Thérèse. Alternating the wistful with the highly energetic, the three Suites, Op. 51 explore the possibilities offered by Chinese musical tradition."

Cato

Quote from: Brian on July 31, 2014, 07:16:43 AM

"This eighth and final volume of the complete Tcherepnin piano music series is devoted to music for children. It ranges from the optimistic Sunny Day from 1915, which the composer found and copied out on the day he died, and the vibrant Episodes, which he brought with him to Paris when exiled from Russia, to the devotional beauties of Histoire de la Petite Thérèse. Alternating the wistful with the highly energetic, the three Suites, Op. 51 explore the possibilities offered by Chinese musical tradition."

A discounted set would be nice!  Many thanks for the information!

Scion7

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 26, 2013, 09:33:25 AM
I need to dig out my Tcherepnin box set released on BIS and give a whirl. I don't think I have listened to one note of his music yet. Where should I start?

The box set in question:

[asin]B001JFKVQI[/asin]

Symphony 3 is my favourite - an eloquent work.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Scion7

[asin]B0000521D8[/asin]

Though it is brief, it's interesting. Composed 1976.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Scion7

[asin]B000092R45[/asin]

the Trio (1960) ---------->   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ5g-sMFdBU

preview the Duo (1977) on YT -->    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSUweeyAY2s

One of the more interesting compositions for this instrument-combo.