Author Topic: Blind Comparison LIGHTNING ROUND: Mendelssohn Violin Concerto!  (Read 12112 times)

Offline AnthonyAthletic

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Respighi, Mahler, Vaughan Williams, Bruckner & Stravinsky
Re: Blind Comparison LIGHTNING ROUND: Mendelssohn Violin Concerto!
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 05:24:23 AM »
I didn't comment as I spotted Heifetz straight away, hearing Heifetz' tone and bowing is almost a given when you are spotting and indeed looking for him  ;)  Its pretty much on the par of spotting Pavarotti, Callas, Pinza or Janet Baker (to name a few in a different type of comparison  8))....very distinctive!!  The only one I don't have in my collection is the Daniel Hope, and the three I do have in my collection bar the Heifetz, well I didn't spot any of them!

After knowing Heifetz was there, it would be like voting against a loved one and biasing my judgement.  I did like the Hope reading from what I heard, sounded big boned and meaty.

Count me in for the Gaspard....

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 06:23:56 AM »
My current favorite recording of this is Kyung Wha Chung's
Very interesting. Would have been even more interesting to include a Perlman or a Chung,
And based on these I'll be looking up the Chung recording!

Quick question: What program do you use to make the clips?

I imported the files into Audacity, trimmed the clips down to the size I wanted, and saved them as new MP3s with no data attached to them.

Listening the except from #5 again, but I'm still unsatisfied. The technique and dynamics is so good, accurate but the violin sound for me is too clean, lean and one-dimensioned. I think the performer focuses  too much on playing note fast and perfect, in expense of  individuality in sound, that's also the reasons I don't care for Heifetz's performance.  Not my cup of tea, just me ;D
   Thanks  Brian for noticing Daniel Hope's and Cho Liang-Lin's performances. They will be a good addition to my collection.
Interesting that your opinion could vary so much from mind! I find Yang to have a very individual sound, but maybe your opinion would have been different if you'd heard a different part of the concerto.

Incidentally, I'm surprised Heifetz's technical control was praised because I thought I heard some very shaky playing while making the sound clips...

Please continue to do these blind comparisons.  I bet that if we knew the artists in advance, we would not have ranked them the same, which is of course one of the reasons why it is blind.  Very interesting.

Indeed, we've done blind comparisons in the past with pretty fascinating results! I remember a Debussy game (La mer) where Bernstein, Karajan, and every French conductor were rejected.

The next game, which will probably begin in April, is as Anthony says going to be Maurice Ravel's Gaspard de la Nuit. We'll start with a round focused on the first movement, then move on to the next two. The more people who are interested in playing, the more pianists I can include!

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2013, 06:35:52 AM »
I must be late to this party, wot?  Well, I had Annabel Lee to wrap up.

I want to be in for Gaspard, though
: )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline AnthonyAthletic

• Veteran member
    Respighi, Mahler, Vaughan Williams, Bruckner & Stravinsky
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2013, 06:39:04 AM »
Gaspard should be a good one.  Its a work which I really like, but only have 2 or 3 versions of it on CD, and haven't heard it for quite a while.  This will be a real case of getting to know you.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

Offline Beale

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2013, 08:53:08 AM »
RESULTS

Fourth place: Violinist #3 (3.500)

Violinist #3 is...

CHO-LIANG LIN

Glad I liked this. If this is anything like Lin's Sibelius or Prokofiev, then it is a record well worth tracking down.

Third place: Violinist #4 (3.333)

Violinist #4 is...

ANNE-SOPHIE MUTTER

The famous Karajan/sweater recording.

So, a very young Anne-Sophie, in hindsight this all make sense.  8) Nice one.

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2013, 09:05:15 AM »
While #1 was a bit flat dynamically, the tone of the violin and micro-dynamics was very nice.  It sounded like an early 1950s recording, mono.

A Living Stereo recording sounding like mono?  Perhaps it was compressed too much.

Offline madaboutmahler

• Veteran member
  • MAHLER: THE GREATEST!!!!
    • Daniel Hogan - Composer
    Mahler, Elgar, Ravel, Chopin, Schnittke, Dvorak, Vaughan Williams, Schmitt, Karlowicz, R.Strauss, Prokofiev, Shostakovich....
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2013, 12:42:05 PM »
Very interesting results indeed!, and they match my vote exactly!! Would be interested to hear the first two in full, I enjoyed both very much for their more interesting, compelling and warm interpretation in comparison with the other three.

Thanks, Brian. :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Offline Pat B

• Veteran member
  • A=430
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2013, 12:53:31 PM »
Wow! Immediately after voting I checked my copy of Heifetz/Munch (from the Living Stereo 60-disc box, which has red-book CDs but supposedly shares the SACD mastering). I was convinced #1 was NOT that recording because on my CD, Heifetz's sound really dominates the orchestra, and the soloist in #1 sounded more recessed.

And yeah, I called Mutter's vibrato Russian. I recently read Viktoria Mullova's liner notes for her solo Bach (which is excellent), where she discussed her progression from the sound demanded of her at the Moscow Conservatory. Obviously Mutter isn't Russian but I think her playing here fits Mullova's description. I haven't heard Mutter's newer Mendelssohn.

Curiously, my two least favorites in this comparison are the two that I own. But they are also at the bottom of my collection.

I'm putting Yang on my to-buy list.

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2013, 01:44:16 PM »
It's worth pointing out that this was a 1990 issue of the Heifetz; I don't think it was remastered at all and it's certainly not part of the "Living Stereo" line. Different cover too. So I'd guess the people who made the more recent "Living Stereo" edition effected some sonic improvements...?

Offline Carnivorous Sheep

• Baa?
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2013, 09:51:21 PM »
Yang Tianwa's Saraste is indeed fantastic, I must check out this Mendelssohn...
Baa?

Offline Beale

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2013, 04:42:44 AM »
Very interesting results indeed!, and they match my vote exactly!!

This just means you have a 'middle-of-the-road' taste  :P :) ;D  (just kidding)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 03:16:32 AM by Beale »

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2013, 12:03:23 PM »
For those interested, my review is posted. I have to say, that's the fastest they've ever published one of my submissions!

Offline madaboutmahler

• Veteran member
  • MAHLER: THE GREATEST!!!!
    • Daniel Hogan - Composer
    Mahler, Elgar, Ravel, Chopin, Schnittke, Dvorak, Vaughan Williams, Schmitt, Karlowicz, R.Strauss, Prokofiev, Shostakovich....
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2013, 01:32:48 PM »
Great review, Brian! :)

Looking forward to Gaspard!
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven