Most Underrated Composers

Started by ibanezmonster, March 27, 2013, 09:52:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on March 29, 2013, 07:17:46 AM
Definitely definitely definitely definitely, Ilaria!! So many great pieces which deserve more recordings. If I'm successful in being a conductor, I would love to promote his music. :)
Quote from: ChamberNut on March 29, 2013, 07:19:31 AM
There Daniel, I had to fix that for you.  I have no doubt in my mind!  :)

It would be fantastic, Skold's music certainly deserves to be recorded more! Haha, I'm sure you'll be successful in being a conductor too, Daniel; and if I become a great pianist, I'll be honoured to help you in performning his piano concertos. ;)
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on March 29, 2013, 08:48:30 AM
It would be fantastic, Skold's music certainly deserves to be recorded more! Haha, I'm sure you'll be successful in being a conductor too, Daniel; and if I become a great pianist, I'll be honoured to help you in performning his piano concertos. ;)

Absolutely!
haha, thank you, Ilaria! Hope so! Of course, that would be great! :D
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Beorn

Is Alkan underrated? Then Alkan.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 28, 2013, 09:35:46 PM
The only other Pettersson work I can stand behind and recommend without reservation is his Symphony No. 6. Like the 7th, this symphony has an amazing journey from darkness to light. Completely brooding and I highly suggest checking out the newer Christian Lindberg BIS recording for this symphony.

You might want to try some Rawsthorne. His three symphonies are aggressive but completely engaging IMHO. Checkout the Lloyd-Jones performances on Naxos.
When I listen to Pettersson's 6th, I just can't help but think how I wish it were the 7th or 8th.  >:D

Rawsthorne's 3 Symphonies are good, and I do have those versions. Maybe I'll get them another listen tomorrow. He's probably another composer I would put on this list if I listened to him more.

Quote from: mszczuj on March 28, 2013, 10:33:15 PM
Matthijs  Vermeulen. Try his 1st Symphony, you find perfect Mahler in it though mixed with Johannes Ockeghem, which of course doesn't make it worse, as Ockeghem is one of the greatest and the most underrated composers ever. The othean symphonies of Vermeulen are not so mahlerian but probably more interesting, especially the 2nd.

And it is not the bad idea to look down to Netherlands while looking for underrated composers as you can find the whole rows of them there. I was impressed especially by Vermeulen and Dieppenbrock, but there is an extremely interesting row of Andriessens as well.
Thanks for the suggestion. Found it on youtube and will listen!  :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Greg on March 29, 2013, 07:05:55 PM
When I listen to Pettersson's 6th, I just can't help but think how I wish it were the 7th or 8th.  >:D

Rawsthorne's 3 Symphonies are good, and I do have those versions. Maybe I'll get them another listen tomorrow. He's probably another composer I would put on this list if I listened to him more.

I know what you mean. Pettersson's 7th is just a masterpiece from start to finish. Nothing is wasted. But the 6th does have many good sections. Rawsthorne's symphonies are just so aggressive. The 2nd does let up a little, but the 1st and 3rd are, I'm sure, quite taxing on the orchestra musicians.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 29, 2013, 07:08:41 PM
Rawsthorne's symphonies are just so aggressive.
That's the first thing that came to mind when listening to them.  ;D

dyn

What does "underrated" mean? So far it seems to mean "composers you like that don't get a lot of recognition by historians/critics/record labels", in which case i imagine "underappreciated" would be a better term. People seem to have a tendency to overrate obscure composers (esp. late-romantic and early twentieth), equalling them to the established greats in quality, which is arguably only rarely the case.

+1 to Ockeghem, Zelenka and Froberger. Some under-appreciated modern composers, imo, include Marc Yeats, Vladimir Tarnopolski, Gérard Pesson, Michael Finnissy, Claude Vivier (who is, however, finding his niche), John Wall, Robert Phillips, Aldo Clementi, Luke Bedford, Costin Miereanu, Ivo Malec, Jean-Claude Risset, etc. i'll try not to overrate any of these people. :|

Moo Yai

It really doesnt bother me that some of the composers I like might be over or under-appreciated by others - Its what I think about their music that matters to me  :laugh:

Ten thumbs

Quote from: Beorn on March 29, 2013, 10:24:16 AM
Is Alkan underrated? Then Alkan.

Certainly Alkan. Friends still ask who he is, and in the same category - Heller.
A day may be a destiny; for life
Lives in but little—but that little teems
With some one chance, the balance of all time:
A look—a word—and we are wholly changed.

vandermolen

Quote from: Greg on March 27, 2013, 09:52:05 AM
I did a search and got nothing... I thought there was already a thread for this.

Several come to mind:
Atterberg
Pettersson
Lachenmann
Braga Santos

Don't know Lachenmann but agree with all the others.

I would add:

Tubin
Frank Bridge
Stanley Bate
Richard Arnell
Rootham
Diamond
Miaskovsky (of course!)
Weinberg
Eshpai
Malcolm Williamson
Hilding Rosenberg
Popov
Egge
Hurum
Lo Presti
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Henk

Cimarosa
Durante
Galuppi
Meyr
Cherubini
Boccherini
Donatoni
Aperghis
Pécou
Heininen

These are in fact favourite composers of mine.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Henk on March 30, 2013, 06:15:01 AM
Cimarosa
Durante
Galuppi
Meyr
Cherubini
Boccherini
Donatoni
Aperghis
Pécou
Heininen

These are in fact favourite composers of mine.

Welcome back, Henk:)

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Conor on March 30, 2013, 02:08:03 AM
It really doesnt bother me that some of the composers I like might be over or under-appreciated by others - Its what I think about their music that matters to me  :laugh:
Except when not all of a composer's works are recorded, or there are not enough good recordings (in non-classical, this doesn't apply, luckily). All the Havergal Brian fans know what I'm talking about...

Moo Yai

Quote from: Greg on March 30, 2013, 06:44:35 AM
Except when not all of a composer's works are recorded, or there are not enough good recordings (in non-classical, this doesn't apply, luckily). All the Havergal Brian fans know what I'm talking about...
Yes, true :)

Henk

Quote from: ChamberNut on March 30, 2013, 06:30:45 AM
Welcome back, Henk:)

Thanks Ray, I'm not determined to stay long, I just post something.

The new erato

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 29, 2013, 07:08:12 AM
Okay, erato, I'm sorry for going on about this, let's just put it behind us.
Yes indeed, same here.

RJR

Magnard
Suk
Martinu
Honegger
Déodat de Severac
Chabrier
Syzmanowski
Hugo Wolf
Villa-Lobos
K A Hartmann
Rodrigo
Frank Martin

John Vale

Gerald Finzi
Howard Hanson
Havergal Brian
Poulenc
Eric Beethoven

12tone.

Underrated composers?

Arnold Bax.  No new cycles!  :-[

vandermolen

Quote from: RJR on June 01, 2013, 06:00:29 AM
Magnard
Suk
Martinu
Honegger
Déodat de Severac
Chabrier
Syzmanowski
Hugo Wolf
Villa-Lobos
K A Hartmann
Rodrigo
Frank Martin

Coincidentally listening to Magnard Symphony 4 - a great work.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).