Beethoven's String Quartets

Started by marvinbrown, July 14, 2007, 02:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Quote from: Florestan on September 20, 2017, 06:02:02 AMMy thoughts exactly.

At this time, I do not plan on buying the set.  The Voces Quartet do have a YouTube channel, so interested listeners can sample their playing completely free from guilt, if that's a problem.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Florestan

Quote from: Todd on September 20, 2017, 06:17:56 AM
At this time, I do not plan on buying the set.  The Voces Quartet do have a YouTube channel, so interested listeners can sample their playing completely free from guilt, if that's a problem.

Thanks for the useful Youtube tip.

AFAIC, there is no problem at all. It's just that, given your well-documented propensity to listen to, and review, obscure Beethoven recordings (obscure as in not widely known or marketed, not as in any indication of quality) I (wrongly) assumed you might have had a chance to listen to Voces' Beethoven.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Todd

Quote from: Florestan on September 20, 2017, 06:44:49 AMAFAIC, there is no problem at all. It's just that, given your well-documented propensity to listen to, and review, obscure Beethoven recordings (obscure as in not widely known or marketed, not as in any indication of quality) I (wrongly) assumed you might have had a chance to listen to Voces' Beethoven.

I did write "at this time".  Right now, piano sonatas and violin sonatas remain my main LvB foci.  That may change when I run out of recordings of my current foci.  That's almost the case with the former.  Basically, there are only four currently available sonata cycles that I do not possess, and of those, two do not interest me.

Florestan

Quote from: Todd on September 20, 2017, 06:51:38 AM
I did write "at this time". 

Oh, sorry, I must have missed that. So many posts here.  :D

Right now, piano sonatas and violin sonatas remain my main LvB foci.  That may change when I run out of recordings of my current foci.  That's almost the case with the former.  Basically, there are only four currently available sonata cycles that I do not possess, and of those, two do not interest me.

Why? I'd have thought you were an omnivorous animal when it came to Beethoven.  :)

Todd

Quote from: Florestan on September 20, 2017, 06:57:27 AM
Why? I'd have thought you were an omnivorous animal when it came to Beethoven.  :)

Easy, the cycle with Malcolm Bilson includes multiple pianists, which doesn't interest me at all, and based on Shoko Sugitani's LvB concerto cycle, I am not willing to pay the high price necessary to get her sonata cycle.  If it is reissued as a bargain box, I'll snap it up.

Florestan

Quote from: Todd on September 20, 2017, 07:02:37 AM

Easy, the cycle with Malcolm Bilson includes multiple pianists, which doesn't interest me at all, and based on Shoko Sugitani's LvB concerto cycle, I am not willing to pay the high price necessary to get her sonata cycle.  If it is reissued as a bargain box, I'll snap it up.

Fair cop, sir! I stand corrected.

premont

Quote from: Todd on September 20, 2017, 07:02:37 AM

Easy, the cycle with Malcolm Bilson includes multiple pianists, which doesn't interest me at all,..

Well, it is still Beethoven after all (isn't this what you are looking for), and some of the pianists - not the least Bilson himself - are certainly worth a listen, and the release is also organologically interesting.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Todd

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 20, 2017, 01:45:11 PMWell, it is still Beethoven after all (isn't this what you are looking for)

It's not what I'm looking for; what I'm looking for is how one pianist interprets the entire cycle.  (Allowances are made for things like dying before the cycle could be completed.)

kishnevi

Quote from: Jo498 on September 19, 2017, 10:48:04 PM
The Artemis single issues were not complete. I remember people being quite angry that they had to buy the box if they wanted op.74 (I think) because this had not been issued as a single or double.
The original issue of the Emerson was a 7-disc-box. Somewhat later came a double with the middle quartets in DG's Beethoven edition and a little after that the Trio with the late quartets as well as a single with op.132 and another one in the "DG century". The middle quartets have since then appeared in the "Duo" series and the whole box in the "postage stamp" series as well as in the Emerson DG omnibus box.

Bah humbug. I never noticed that until now!  But it is op 74 that is missing (I just checked my copies).  Too bad, as I have no intention of buying the set since I have the individual CDs.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on September 18, 2017, 12:03:45 PM
I've completed my most ambitious discography to-date:

A Survey of Beethoven String Quartet Cycles

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2017/09/a-survey-of-beethoven-string-quartet.html

A heck of a lot of work -- and VERY appreciative of any corrections and additions! (Todd!?!)

Updated: With the Cleveland Quartet's first cycle on RCA, which I had overlooked.

This means there are now 68 cycles listed, 62 of which are truly complete.

Todd

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on September 29, 2017, 06:03:18 AM
Updated: With the Cleveland Quartet's first cycle on RCA, which I had overlooked.

I didn't even know about that one.  Thanks, now I have another unicorn to chase.  Writing of unicorns, per Tully Potter, the Beethoven Quartet recorded a complete cycle in stereo, but it never made it outside the USSR.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Todd on September 29, 2017, 06:13:43 AM

I didn't even know about that one.  Thanks, now I have another unicorn to chase.  Writing of unicorns, per Tully Potter, the Beethoven Quartet recorded a complete cycle in stereo, but it never made it outside the USSR.

Intriguing. Must have been recorded between 1965 and 1977. And then there's the Quatuor Schaeffer / Schäffer Quartett, which recorded a cycle in very early stereo. I'm finding traces and a few pix in internet searches -- and Forgotten Records seems to have re-issued it.

Todd

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on September 29, 2017, 07:27:11 AMand Forgotten Records seems to have re-issued it.

A French outfit, huh?  Figures.  The French and the Japanese do reissues better than everyone else.  I perused some of the catalog and noticed the Pascal and Koeckert quartets have some reissues, and some LvB Cello Sonatas with Maurice Gendron and Jean Francaix (!) are available, too.

SwanLake

Quote from: Wanderer on September 08, 2014, 10:42:01 PM
I don't know, but it's a quite magnificent set and deservedly praised.

I just ordered the this set.  Looking forward to hearing it.  My favorite is still the Telarc recordings of the Cleveland Quartet.  I also love the Quartetto Italiano on Philips

SwanLake

I also have the Borodin on Chandos and it is very nice too.  Love all of the sets.  I can't pick a favorite really

SwanLake

Parsifal

Don't overlook the Vermeer! (on Teldec, now Warner)

(I can hear all of the groans emanating from throughout the world as I make this comment...)

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on September 18, 2017, 12:03:45 PM
I've completed my most ambitious discography to-date:

A Survey of Beethoven String Quartet Cycles

A heck of a lot of work -- and VERY appreciative of any corrections and additions! (Todd!?!)

Update: Melodiya has, prompted by this survey, checked the archives and found the Beethoven Quartet cycle and is discussing internally as to giving it its first digital (re)issue. Neato.

SwanLake

I hope so.  I would love to hear them.

Todd

I stumbled upon another cycle today: The Shanghai Quartet on Camerata.  Discography here.