Author Topic: Beethoven's String Quartets  (Read 208925 times)

Offline Holden

• Veteran member
Re: Beethoven's String Quartets
« Reply #1020 on: September 11, 2021, 10:09:25 PM »
My go to headphones at the moment are the Audeze LCD1 and spatially, they really separate the instruments in the soundstage. However, on a hunch, I've pulled out my beloved Sennheiser HD580s to listen to the Vegh LvB SQs. While they don't go as deep in the lower end as the LCD1s there is a wealth of tone and timbre that imparts something to the music that I haven't heard before. Like with the Audeze's, the instruments are sitting in their own space and there is a sense of liquidity that really makes this glorious music. I'm listening to Op 130 at the moment and will move on to Op 132. I might make the 580s my SQ listening cans.

Something tells me I should start listening to these via my HiFi set up.
Cheers

Holden

Offline Raymond

« Reply #1021 on: September 20, 2021, 06:51:18 AM »
Iv'e not noticed any comments on the Quatuor Ebene's complete quartets, the performances they gave in various cities.  It had good reviews, but I'm suspicious about no comments. Or have I missed them?

Online Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #1022 on: September 20, 2021, 07:07:52 AM »
Iv'e not noticed any comments on the Quatuor Ebene's complete quartets, the performances they gave in various cities.  It had good reviews, but I'm suspicious about no comments. Or have I missed them?
Hmm, I'm not sure what thread it's in but there was quite a passionate multipage discussion about the Ebene, with people who are strongly in favor and people who are strongly opposed.

Offline T. D.

• Veteran member
« Reply #1023 on: September 20, 2021, 09:59:30 AM »
Hmm, I'm not sure what thread it's in but there was quite a passionate multipage discussion about the Ebene [Beethoven], with people who are strongly in favor and people who are strongly opposed.

I also recall the discussion (maybe more than one) but forget the thread(s).
Among other places, here? https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php?topic=29935.0
I'm pretty sure the "brickwalling" was discussed in additional threads, maybe "recordings you are considering". Someone posted informative graphics.
I was close to purchasing the set, but the frequency compression turned me off.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 10:02:17 AM by T. D. »

DavidW

« Reply #1024 on: September 20, 2021, 10:25:02 AM »
I agree with Herman that the Artemis Q recordings are just amazing.  And having Prazak, Gewandhaus and Takacs I have so many wonderful choices that I haven't sought anything else out.  I think I want to here Leipzig and Ebene.

Offline Spotted Horses

• Formerly Baron Scarpia
« Reply #1025 on: September 20, 2021, 11:55:14 AM »
I agree with Herman that the Artemis Q recordings are just amazing.  And having Prazak, Gewandhaus and Takacs I have so many wonderful choices that I haven't sought anything else out.  I think I want to here Leipzig and Ebene.

The Artemis does not record Beethoven's replacement finale for Op 130. If that is your only set you don't have a recording of the last complete movement that Beethoven wrote for string quartet. (And it is a brilliant piece of music, whether or not you prefer it to the Grosse Fugue as the finale of Op 130.)

Offline hvbias

« Reply #1026 on: September 20, 2021, 02:51:19 PM »

They have some live recordings on Youtube and there used to be a live cycle available on arte.tv for free, I downloaded all of them and my preference is for that live video cycle over the CD in terms of interpretations. Combined with the compression in mastering caused me to skip the CD cycle. I don't think either the video or CD are top tier in the late quartets.

My full breakdown: https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,20.msg1382519.html#msg1382519

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #1027 on: September 20, 2021, 04:10:13 PM »

I'm glad I have the set. It's a crowded field, so I won't be silly enough to say it's superior to all those other alternatives.
The sonics gave me no problem, but I have a cheap CD player which is beneficial in this situation: only real bad sonics are obvious when I use it.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Online Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #1028 on: September 20, 2021, 04:24:46 PM »
Also the compressed dynamic range is really great if you want to pack some CDs in the car on a road trip. Crank it up enough to cover road noise, and you'll never have to touch the dial.

Offline aukhawk

• Veteran member
  • Oh no! Someone catted my avatar!
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bach to Björk
« Reply #1029 on: September 21, 2021, 01:39:58 AM »

This discussion, where several people share their opinions of the sound quality, has already been referenced above:
https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,29935.0.html

There is also this, which is more performance-led and overall more positive:
https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,30443.0.html

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Myaskovsky, Schnittke, Pettersson and others
« Reply #1030 on: September 21, 2021, 04:04:40 AM »
So I finally picked up recordings of the late quartets recently. I didn't realise until I got home that one of them was 1940s mono recordings but it is what it is.