Beethoven's String Quartets

Started by marvinbrown, July 14, 2007, 02:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david-jw

Quote from: Scarpia on September 28, 2010, 01:02:59 PM
I have no idea what would possess people to systematically "compare" different performances of a work.  Normally I scatter listening over different composers and performers but if I get at all systematic it is to listen to a single performer doing different works by the same composer.

I find that comparison illuminates- particularly with the late quartets, which are so enigmatic, ambiguous and emotionally complex.

Different performances challenge my perceptions and act as foils to each other helping me to hear the work in new ways.

I've basically listened to three core sets for many many years, wanted to challenge my imprinted views, started buying alternative sets and once I started became enthralled by the journey of having the experiencing of these works rejuvinated, hence the size of the task at hand  :)

AndyD.

Quote from: George on September 28, 2010, 10:24:11 AM
Smart move, I almost burned out on the sonatas myself.

You know, this will sound very strange, but I haven't listened to my favorite quartet in a year come November. I reserve opus 132 for a certain time when I am experiencing, or have recently experienced, something bad in my life. Not that I will be following this practice always, but that's just how I feel about that quartet. It really has a mystical power, at least for me (of course, it could be argued that "mysticism" is purely subjective, but I'm sure most of you know what I mean).

The last time I listened, I had almost lost my girl, and the piece completely overwhelmed me with gratitude that I still had someone that really loved and cared about me in this world. It affirmed everything, in one fell swoop. And I don't care who thinks that's schmaltzy (most people who would are miserable anyway). 

People say that Beethoven's 9th has the power to change the world. Well, in my little world, it's the Heiliger Dankesang.

Of course, I listen to to all the other middle and late string quartets on a regular basis  ;).
http://andydigelsomina.blogspot.com/

My rockin' Metal wife:

Brian

Thoughts?:

At 18 euros (Amazon France) fairly attractive.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Brian on October 31, 2010, 01:13:55 PM
Thoughts?:

The set has a great reputatiton. For the price, seems like a good deal. Keep in mind the recording is from the 50's, so you may want to sample first.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

(poco) Sforzando

Thoughts?:

I grew up on the Budapest's 1958 set, which was on Columbia LPs and had a great reputation even though the first violinist's intonation had begun to suffer somewhat as the group got older. And at times their ensemble could get ragged, as in the rapid-fire exchanges during the Presto of 131. Since I foolishly parted with many of my LPs years ago, I don't have the set any longer, but flaws aside, I considered it to be great music-making. However, they recorded the series several times, and if this is the earlier 1950 set with Gorodetsky, I'd say it's a gamble worth taking.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

RJR

Scarpia

Quote from: RJR on December 09, 2010, 12:06:04 PM
The Hungarian String Quartet.

I had that, good performances, absolutely execrable sound quality.  I could not justify tryinig to listen to it when there are lots of modern ensembles that play just as convincingly with infinitely superior audio engineering.

Mandryka

Anyone know this one from Quatuor Turner?

I've got an agenda -- I'm looking for a set of Op 18s which plays down the relation with later Beethoven -- in the slow movement of Op 18/1 for example. And which plays up the classical, playful, relatively youthful spirit of the music.

Sugestions appreciated.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Brian

Quote from: Mandryka on December 20, 2010, 11:40:25 AM
Anyone know this one from Quatuor Turner?

I've got an agenda -- I'm looking for a set of Op 18s which plays down the relation with later Beethoven -- in the slow movement of Op 18/1 for example. And which plays up the classical, playful, relatively youthful spirit of the music.

Sugestions appreciated.

Well, I've got the complete cycle by the Endellion Quartet (can be had cheaply in places - mine was $30) and they play with enough concessions to period practice and enough of a "rough and ready" attitude that I thought Op 18 sounded really Haydn-y. If you're a fan of Amazon MP3 then not only can you sample each track free, you can download the whole cycle for 13 pounds  :o

Gurn Blanston

Gosh, I'm not up for going through 39 pages of comments to find this, so I'll just be like a newbie and ask. :)

I just got the Borodin set on Chandos, haven't listened to it yet. Any comments or observations on this set? I've been quite looking forward to it (which I rarely do with non-PI, but such is their rep), but want to block out some quality time for listening to it. :)

8)

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Peregrine

Quote from: Mandryka on December 20, 2010, 11:40:25 AM

Sugestions appreciated.

I always thought the Italian Quartet did this well, but it's a while since I listened and can't obtain the discs at present. Whilst not really enjoying their set as a whole, their Op.18 always struck me as just about perfect. Very well recorded and played.
Yes, we have no bananas

Scarpia

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 20, 2010, 12:21:29 PM
Gosh, I'm not up for going through 39 pages of comments to find this, so I'll just be like a newbie and ask. :)

I just got the Borodin set on Chandos, haven't listened to it yet. Any comments or observations on this set? I've been quite looking forward to it (which I rarely do with non-PI, but such is their rep), but want to block out some quality time for listening to it. :)

8)

I have also acquired that set recently (for a very attractive price) but have not had time to listen.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 20, 2010, 12:21:29 PM

Gurn - cannot comment on the Borodin SQ in these works - I've had the Takacs SQ as a complete set for years (old BMG Club bargain buy), and most recently acquired the 'new' Alexander SQ set (pic added above) - I've commented on this set before - am I the only one who owns this excellent offering?  Have not done any price comparisons lately but should be 'thrown' into the mix for consideration.  Dave  :D

Todd

Thoughts?:

I'll have some soon.  Santa just delivered my set today, but I cannot begin listening until the 25th. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

jlaurson

Quote from: SonicMan on December 20, 2010, 02:23:12 PM
Gurn - cannot comment on the Borodin SQ in these works - I've had the Takacs SQ as a complete set for years (old BMG Club bargain buy), and most recently acquired the 'new' Alexander SQ set (pic added above) - I've commented on this set before - am I the only one who owns this excellent offering?  Have not done any price comparisons lately but should be 'thrown' into the mix for consideration.  Dave  :D

No, you are not... I find the early quartets (op.18) of the Alexander excellent; good enough to stand up to any of the competition... but from thereon matters pedestrian an neither the middle nor late quartets can compete with a hole host of sets... certainly not the magnificent Takacs. Not a fan of the late Borodin recordings, either; the playing wasn't as good anymore as it should have been...

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan on December 20, 2010, 02:23:12 PM

Dave,

I have the Alexander cycle too, it was an impressive throw-in in that Sony 60 disk Beethoven box a couple years ago. I agree with Jens on this, their Op 18 is as good as anyone, the later ones are certainly not bad, nor are they memorable. I have the Italians in the Late ones, and even though the knowledgeable collector I bought them from didn't care much for them, I like them a lot. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

jlaurson

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 20, 2010, 05:11:22 PM

I have the Alexander cycle too, it was an impressive throw-in in that Sony 60 disk Beethoven box a couple years ago. I agree with Jens on this, their Op 18 is as good as anyone, the later ones are certainly not bad, nor are they memorable.

You are talking about the Alexander's First cycle; Sonicman and I about their Second... but good to hear (or not) that little has changed, since... except the instruments...

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: jlaurson on December 20, 2010, 05:27:43 PM
You are talking about the Alexander's First cycle; Sonicman and I about their Second... but good to hear (or not) that little has changed, since... except the instruments...

Aha, didn't know there were 2! The picture on the cover wasn't a telltale in this case. :)  What did you mean about the Borodin's cycle? That the late ones weren't as good, or that the cycle is late in their career so not at their peak? :)

8)

jlaurson

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 20, 2010, 05:53:32 PM
What did you mean about the Borodin's cycle? That the late ones weren't as good, or that the cycle is late in their career so not at their peak? :)

...the latter.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: jlaurson on December 20, 2010, 05:27:43 PM

... yes, but the choice of the instruments is not a minor part of the new recording. The Ellen M. Egger quartet of instruments is just gorgeous and the sound quality of the new cycle is unbeatable.  :)