Beethoven's String Quartets

Started by marvinbrown, July 14, 2007, 02:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RJR

I just discovered this morning what compilation of Beethoven contains all the string quartets performed by the Hungarian Quartet:
http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&source=hp&biw=1009&bih=575 q=EMI+BEETHOVEN+THE+COLLECTOR%27S+EDITION&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&fp=af35a2ce7494df89

It's somewhere around CD 34, if I remember correctly.

RJR

To Mandryka,
I am presently listening to the Hungarian Quartet play the slow movement of Op. 18 #1. I would upload you the file so you could hear it but I don't know how. It might fit pretty close your criteria of sounding like one of the late quartets.

Todd

Quote from: RJR on January 26, 2011, 05:39:08 PM
I just discovered this morning what compilation of Beethoven contains all the string quartets performed by the Hungarian Quartet:

That set includes the stereo cycle.  The mono cycle is available at Amazon, and it has also been reissued via ArkivMusic.  How to get just the stereo cycle I wonder?
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

RJR

To Todd,
These recordings are in aiff format, stereo.

Todd

Quote from: RJR on January 26, 2011, 06:03:07 PMTo Todd, These recordings are in aiff format, stereo.

The link produces the Google Canada site for me.  I'm interested in where I can buy just the stereo cycle; if this site allows that, can you post a new link?
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

RJR

Quote from: Todd on January 26, 2011, 07:44:36 PM

The link produces the Google Canada site for me.  I'm interested in where I can buy just the stereo cycle; if this site allows that, can you post a new link?

This link should work. There's a review as well.

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2007/apr07/Beethoven_edition_3877392.htm

Sorry it took so long. I went to bed shortly after posting the info. I just woke up a few minutes ago.

RJR

To Que,
The lack of a HIP LvB SQ cycle is frustrating and puzzles me. There are far too litlle HIP SQ's around or they are not recording enough. There is so much available in HIP, but SQ's is still quite of a problem. Haydn is covered, but LvB...

The instruments of the Hungarian Quartet players are:
Z Szekely-Vln Stradivarius (Michelangelo) 1718
M Kuttner-Vln Petrus Guarnerius (Saint Theresa) 1704
D Koromyzay-Viola Michel Decanet (Venice) 1766
G Magyar-Cello Alessandro Gagliano (Naples) 1706

I guess that they aren't HIP, are they?

George

Quote from: RJR on January 26, 2011, 05:46:56 PM
To Mandryka,
I am presently listening to the Hungarian Quartet play the slow movement of Op. 18 #1. I would upload you the file so you could hear it but I don't know how. It might fit pretty close your criteria of sounding like one of the late quartets.

If you now how to rip the file to your computer, then www.mediafire.com is an easy way to upload. You can PM me for help if you need or want any.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Mandryka

I managed to find the Hungarian Quartet's 1966 recording on demonoid so I downloaded the Op 18s.

I've listened only to the adagio of 18/1 -- I'd say it sounds like a very good mainstream performance -- it does sound a bit like the Heiliger Dankgesang though
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

RJR

Quote from: George on January 27, 2011, 06:58:33 AM
If you know how to rip the file to your computer, then www.mediafire.com is an easy way to upload. You can PM me for help if you need or want any.
What do you want? The whole shebang?

RJR

Quote from: Mandryka on January 27, 2011, 10:15:57 AM
I managed to find the Hungarian Quartet's 1966 recording on demonoid so I downloaded the Op 18s.

I've listened only to the adagio of 18/1 -- I'd say it sounds like a very good mainstream performance -- it does sound a bit like the Heiliger Dankgesang though
I was surprised at how much it reminded me of the spirit of his late quartets. I haven't listened to this set for many years, especially the Op. 18s. I spent more time on Op 59 through to Op 135. I'm going to revisit the Op 18s again soon.

George

Quote from: RJR on January 28, 2011, 06:20:25 PM
What do you want? The whole shebang?

I don't want anything. I was just trying to help you out.  :-\

Mandryka

Quote from: dirkronk on January 20, 2011, 09:20:47 AM
Agree totally. Old fashioned performance style, to be sure, but in the very best sense...and a depth of understanding of the music that's impossible to ignore.

BTW, I assume you meant op.130 as the Sony-licensed performance? (Columbia, later Sony, held the rights to #7 op.59/1 from 1942 and 13 op.130 from 1941.) Or is there a different op.132 performance that I'm unaware of?

Ever since the days of vinyl (yep, still have my copy from then), I've seldom been able to put on that op.130 without sitting mesmerized all the way through the performance...and frequently wishing for an instant replay!

Quote from: david-jw on January 19, 2011, 02:45:40 PM

Anyone who loves the late quartets has to experience the Busch, now complete with Op 132 liscenced from Sony and very cheap on EMI GROC (although the 133 is the Busch string ensemble not the quartet). Sublime in a word :)

Quote from: dirkronk on January 18, 2011, 08:22:20 PM

In any event, it's my opinion that anyone seriously listening to LvB quartets MUST get all the Busch Quartet performances

Dirk

I like the way they go for the tunes -- but for me I sometimes want a bit more drama and a bit more clarity. In the Op 130 which Dirk likes so much,   Juilliard's live recording suits me a bit more  because it's exciting -- there's a sense of a great live concert. And I like the Hagens'  transparency (the voices treated more equally), and the way they  highlight  what they think are key moments.

The last thing I want to do is knock the Busch's. I like them and I'm keeping my CDs. And I think it's true that anyone interested in this music on record should try to hear what they do.

BTW, the Hagens have really rekindled my interest in this music recently.

The new erato

Quote from: Mandryka on January 31, 2011, 02:50:59 AM

I feel slighted:

Quote from: erato on January 19, 2011, 11:45:37 PM
I like the Takacs (generally) too....but one have no right to own any Beethoven SQ disc before the Busch is aquired.

Mandryka

Quote from: erato on January 19, 2011, 11:45:37 PM
I like the Takacs (generally) too....but one have no right to own any Beethoven SQ disc before the Busch is aquired.

Right. That does it. I'm getting some glasses.

dirkronk

Quote from: Mandryka on January 31, 2011, 02:50:59 AM
The last thing I want to do is knock the Busch's. I like them and I'm keeping my CDs. And I think it's true that anyone interested in this music on record should try to hear what they do.

I long ago gave up the silly notion that one group would suffice in Beethoven's quartets. Can't happen. Once you're truly captivated by the music, you want to experience a complete range of its expression...but after that, let's face it, your very personal preferences will come into play. And these days, there's probably a different group out there to match each individual's "druthers."

Still, I think that everyone can benefit from a basic background in how great artists of the past approached these pieces, even if they opt not to purchase the old guys for their own personal archive. This is why, whenever the topic arises on boards like this, I'm forever urging people to hear my own "holy trinity" of groups: the prewar Busch, the wartime Budapest, and the early 1950s Hollywood. Follow these, in this order, and they pretty much allow you to track the evolution of performing style. The Busch Qt. delivers amazing depth of understanding along with blatant portamento and other remnants of old-fashioned style. The Budapest in their live wartime performances show similar depth with intonation and style already foreshadowing more modern quartet playing. And the Hollywood, while arguably not quite at the same depth as the other two groups, offer such dead-on intonation and beauty of ensemble that they carve their own little niche and set a high bar for subsequent performing quartets. Of course, not one of these groups gives us a complete set of the quartets (sorry, but IMO the later Budapest full cycle wasn't on the same interpretive level as their live wartime numbers), so everyone's on their own in finding a personal fave.

As I've hinted often enough, I'm still looking for mine. And yes, Mandryka, among others, I have been listening to the Hagen as they gradually put their interps out there for us. You're right, they're well worth a listen...but I guess they haven't yet wowed me to the same extent as you. We'll see if that changes when I go back and listen a few more times.

Cheers,

Dirk

George

Yes, dirk, Sarge told me awhile ago that he believed everyone should have at least one from each category:

1. Historical - Busch, Budapest, etc
2. Beautiful/great sound - Italiano, etc
3. Modern - Julliard, etc

Works for me. :)

Florestan

Quote from: George on January 31, 2011, 10:48:29 AM
Yes, dirk, Sarge told me awhile ago that he believed everyone should have at least one from each category:

Works for me. :)

Now, it's all those etc's I'm interested in...  ;D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

jlaurson

Quote from: George on January 31, 2011, 10:48:29 AM

If the Juilliard--any of their cycles--is "Modern", then that says less about the Juilliard Quartet and more about which war Sarge is actually a veteran of.
In unrelated news: Sarge has recently expressed fascination with these new fangled breech-loading arms.  ;D

George

Quote from: jlaurson on January 31, 2011, 01:27:53 PM
If the Juilliard--any of their cycles--is "Modern", then that says less about the Juilliard Quartet and more about which war Sarge is actually a veteran of.

Next to the Italiano, the 1964-1970 Julliard set sure sounds modern to me.