Previous topic - Next topic

jlaurson

Quote from: Brian on April 12, 2013, 10:55:24 AM
Aren't there a lot of Suske Quartet fans? Cuz reissue:

Wouldn't the fans already have it?

Brian

eumyang

Quote from: snyprrr on July 08, 2009, 09:52:56 PM
Is anyone familiar with the Melos Quartett Stuttgart playing the Late Quartets on some cheapie label?

Did they record the Late SQs for DG? or is this some 70s recording that has been repackaged?

It's very cheap!
I know that this was an old question, but I didn't see anyone answer it in this thread.

The Melos Quartet recorded the Beethoven cycle twice.  The first was for Intercord, in the 60's on LP, and the second was for DGG, in the 80's.  What snyprrr probably found was a re-release of the Intercord recordings on CD.  Here's one from Op. 18 Nos. 1 & 2: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000005A8B/ .  This cycle wasn't very good -- of course, the Melos recorded it only a few years after they were established.

I don't think Intercord re-released all of the cycle on CD -- I've looked.  Now why would I be looking when I said that it wasn't good?  Sentimental reasons.  The Melos' 1st cycle was the first ever cycle I listened to.  I currently have the Melos' cycle on DGG, so it would be an interesting comparison.

Geo Dude

I'm looking for a cycle--or individual middle and late quartets if necessary--with a 'modern' playing style; in other words some vibrato is fine but I'd prefer that it not be used constantly.  Any suggestions?

Also, how is the Talich recording, sound aside?

George

Quote from: Geo Dude on May 03, 2013, 01:12:15 PM
I'm looking for a cycle--or individual middle and late quartets if necessary--with a 'modern' playing style; in other words some vibrato is fine but I'd prefer that it not be used constantly.  Any suggestions?

Juilliard (unfortunately OOP)

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Complete-String-Quartets-Box/dp/B00006OA6A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367616468&sr=8-1&keywords=juilliard+beethoven
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Brian

You might want to dabble in the bold, even brazen Artemis Quartet; they certainly dust off the music, but play without coarseness. Here are some sample clips. (The complete box is available.)

Wakefield

Quote from: Brian on April 12, 2013, 11:26:16 AM
Yeah, but I don't.

Neither do I and no doubt I'll buy it.

BTW, has somebody listened to the Belcea Quartet (ZZ Territoires)?  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

jlaurson

Takács, no question.
Opus 18
Middle Quartets
Late Quartets

...except they're a bit a pain to collect, not being boxed or available on re-releases. Never got any love from Decca... the quartet even financed the making of these recordings, unbelievable though that seems, given their quality and how it should have been a feather in Decca's cap.

Then also Prazak, which offers a box and SACD 5.1...

Talich ain't that old... very direct, immediate sound.
A splendid, easily underestimated reading... more armchair than high-octane Prazak and Takács, but not outright old fashioned, either.
http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2012/12/best-recordings-of-2012-6.html

Parsifal

I'd say this is "modern" sounding, but you seem to be more sensitive to vibrato than I am.

[asin]B001E99GQA[/asin]

Same for this

[asin]B0057JWVKQ[/asin]

Better listen to samples for vibrato-check.

Geo Dude

Quote from: George on May 03, 2013, 01:29:28 PM
Juilliard (unfortunately OOP)

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Complete-String-Quartets-Box/dp/B00006OA6A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367616468&sr=8-1&keywords=juilliard+beethoven

Thanks for the tip.  It seems that if I buy the middle and late quartets individually I can swing it for a bit under $40 for the pair.  Not ideal, but something to consider.

Quote from: Brian on May 03, 2013, 01:32:07 PM
You might want to dabble in the bold, even brazen Artemis Quartet; they certainly dust off the music, but play without coarseness. Here are some sample clips. (The complete box is available.)

Hmm, this doesn't sound too bad.  It might be what I'm looking for.

Quote from: jlaurson on May 03, 2013, 01:34:24 PM
Takács, no question.
Opus 18
Middle Quartets
Late Quartets

Then also Prazak, which offers a box and SACD 5.1...

I have the Takács recording of the late quartets and find it a bit too aggressive for my taste.  The Prazak is interesting but really expensive and at this point SACD sound is not beneficial to me so I might have to pass on that one until later.

Just for the record, when I refer to 'old-fashioned' I don't mind mellow or introspective; I'd like that in the late quartets, I'm just not fond of groups that bury the music in constant vibrato.  (I had a really bad experience yesterday with the Verdi Quartett and Brahms' sextet as a result of that, actually.  It would be only a slight exaggeration to say that the sound was as thick as mud.)

Parsifal

Quote from: Geo Dude on May 03, 2013, 01:46:18 PMJust for the record, when I refer to 'old-fashioned' I don't mind mellow or introspective; I'd like that in the late quartets, I'm just not fond of groups that bury the music in constant vibrato.  (I had a really bad experience yesterday with the Verdi Quartett and Brahms' sextet as a result of that, actually.  It would be only a slight exaggeration to say that the sound was as thick as mud.)

That's odd, because if you had asked me for unsentimental Brahms, I might have suggested just those recordings.

Geo Dude

Quote from: Parsifal on May 03, 2013, 01:47:48 PM
That's odd, because if you had asked me for unsentimental Brahms, I might have suggested just those recordings.

I don't think it's sentimental, per se, just very thickly textured.  I listened to the L'Archibudelli recording afterwards and there was a world of difference and I normally don't hear a distinction that large when it comes to period vs modern string chamber recordings.  (Just to make sure we're on the same page I'm talking about the Op. 18/Op. 111 pairing.  I haven't heard the other one.)

By the way, the Endellion samples sound quite nice and the price is right.  After a bit more sampling this might be the one. :)

Brian

I can confirm the Endellion use very little vibrato and are HIP-influenced (but not really HIP, I suppose). They do play rather roughly, so you'd have to tolerate a lack of technical perfection. Still, I got my copy for something like $25 and it includes the string quintets and all the unfinished quartets, fragments, and manuscripts, so that's a plus.

Geo Dude

Based on the samples I take your point on the rough playing; I think I might hold off until I can spend the extra $15 or so on the Artemis Quartet.

jlaurson

Quote from: Geo Dude on May 03, 2013, 01:46:18 PM
I have the Takács recording of the late quartets and find it a bit too aggressive for my taste.  The Prazak is interesting but really expensive and at this point SACD sound is not beneficial to me so I might have to pass on that one until later.

Well, if you don't like the Takács for that reason, then no need to bother with the Prazak, really... which take the Takács approach and hone it.

What, though, do you mean by modern, then? Technically supreme, low on vibrato, but not too aggressive? Hmm... how much sensuousness do you want or not want?

Does it need to be exciting?  :D

Geo Dude

Quote from: jlaurson on May 03, 2013, 02:13:17 PM
What, though, do you mean by modern, then? Technically supreme, low on vibrato, but not too aggressive? Hmm... how much sensuousness do you want or not want?

Does it need to be exciting?  :D

Some sensuousness is fine, appreciated even, as long as it's not at the level that results in a sound aimed at making Beethoven into like a post-romantic composer.  As for exciting...difficult question.  I'm looking for a bit of punch with the middle quartets but something more introspective in the later works.  Yes, I know, I'm difficult to help. :P  Thank you for trying, though.

On that note, thanks to everyone who made suggestions. :)

San Antone

Alexander String Quartet
Gewandhous String Quartet

Sammy

Quote from: Geo Dude on May 03, 2013, 01:46:18 PM
Just for the record, when I refer to 'old-fashioned' I don't mind mellow or introspective; I'd like that in the late quartets, I'm just not fond of groups that bury the music in constant vibrato.  (I had a really bad experience yesterday with the Verdi Quartett and Brahms' sextet as a result of that, actually.  It would be only a slight exaggeration to say that the sound was as thick as mud.)

I know what you mean.  A thick and frequent vibrato makes my skin crawl.

J.A.W.

I think the Artemis set would be what you're looking for. Excellent playing, not soaked in heavy vibrato.
Hans

kishnevi

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on May 03, 2013, 01:32:16 PM
Neither do I and no doubt I'll buy it.

BTW, has somebody listened to the Belcea Quartet (ZZ Territoires)?  :)

I have the first volume, and liked it enough to put the second volume (just released) in my shopping cart for my next order from Presto.  I'm fairly sure Todd thinks well of it.  But it has not (at least, based on the first volume) replaced my personal favorites,  Quartetto Italiano (who initiated me into Beethoven's quartets with their volume of the late quartets),  Takacs, and Artemis.

BTW, the Belcea don't play them in chronological order.