Beethoven's String Quartets

Started by marvinbrown, July 14, 2007, 02:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mszczuj

Quote from: Scarpia on August 14, 2013, 06:01:38 PM
When a dissonant note appears you have the choice.   Play it gently, make it seem like a coloration of the consonant note,  emphasize its resolution rather than the dissonance itself, or play it with emphasis to make the dissonance stand out.  Making the latter choice emphasizes the edginess of the music without departing from the score. 

But it is Beethoven, it is predominantely linear. If you think of dissonances as its subsatnce you miss where it goes. When you play Grosse Fuge as the vehicle for dramatic dissonances you have no chance to find that it should (or at least could) be played as great cosmic dance crowning the most beautiful serenade.

George

Guys, by gritty I meant if you close your eyes and imagine the performers, they aren't wearing pressed tuxedos, but rather AC/DC T-shirts and dirty old jeans. 
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Mandryka

Quote from: George on August 17, 2013, 04:15:56 AM
Guys, by gritty I meant if you close your eyes and imagine the performers, they aren't wearing pressed tuxedos, but rather AC/DC T-shirts and dirty old jeans.

And that's how you hear the Endellion? Or did you get that one for other reasons?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

DavidW

There are many ensembles that don't wear tux's to concerts, but they don't dress like a garage band either.  There are ways to dress smartly without looking like you came from the 19th century.

It doesn't sound like you want gritty, rather you want the spontaneity and drive that you would get from people informally getting together to have a jam session like you find in rock or jazz.

George

Mandryka

Quote from: George on August 17, 2013, 06:18:47 AM
Pretty much, yes.

Suggest a track for me to hear, one where this gritty quality is evident.

Mandryka

Quote from: mszczuj on August 16, 2013, 07:03:00 PM
But it is Beethoven, it is predominantely linear. If you think of dissonances as its subsatnce you miss where it goes. When you play Grosse Fuge as the vehicle for dramatic dissonances you have no chance to find that it should (or at least could) be played as great cosmic dance crowning the most beautiful serenade.

This is an interesting reply. Which performances do you feel succeed at integrating  133 with 130 as you describe?

George

Quote from: Mandryka on August 17, 2013, 07:04:58 AM
Suggest a track for me to hear, one where this gritty quality is evident.

Take your pick, I heard it on any of the tracks I listened to.

Wakefield

It's approximately what I think when I'm listening to the Alexander String Quartet playing the middle quartets from its complete cycle on Arte Nova.

Well, if I'm totally honest, the image is this: There is a string quartet competition in New York City (I don't know why exactly in New York). The favorite group is the Julliard String Quartet which is not really the Julliard Quartet, but the Leipziger Streichquartett, an ensemble totally perfect in a traditional, conservative way. But suddenly appears this group from nowhere, The Bronx, for instance; totally revolutionary and youthful. And they are the Alexander Quartet ... You know, something like a Karate Kid tournament.  :D
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Opus106

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on August 17, 2013, 09:42:33 AM
It's approximately what I think when I'm listening to the Alexander String Quartet playing the middle quartets from its complete cycle on Arte Nova.

Well, if I'm totally honest, the image is this: There is a string quartet competition in New York City (I don't know why exactly in New York). The favorite group is the Julliard String Quartet which is not really the Julliard Quartet, but the Leipziger Streichquartett, an ensemble totally perfect in a traditional, conservative way. But suddenly appears this group from nowhere, The Bronx, for instance; totally revolutionary and youthful. And they are the Alexander Quartet ... You know, something like a Karate Kid tournament.  :D

Perhaps you were planning to post all that at the other thread? ;) ;D
Regards,
Navneeth

Wakefield

Quote from: Opus106 on August 17, 2013, 10:40:54 AM
Perhaps you were planning to post all that at the other thread? ;) ;D

;D :D ;D

No doubt, it would be an appropriate place.  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

George

Wakefield

Quote from: George on August 17, 2013, 11:23:36 AM
LOL, you guys!

Do you know the Alexander String Quartet, George? If not, maybe you should give a try to its first set.  :)
-- Voltaire

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

George

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on August 17, 2013, 11:34:35 AM
Do you know the Alexander String Quartet, George? If not, maybe you should give a try to its first set.  :)

I have a CD of theirs that has two of the Late Quartets on the Arte Nova label.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Annie on August 17, 2013, 02:47:34 PM
I still don't get it.

Well, truth to tell, I don't, much, either.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Peregrine

Yes, we have no bananas

kishnevi

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on August 17, 2013, 11:34:35 AM

Playing that set even as I post,  I'd say "gritty" is a useful way to describe their performances.  At the moment, I've got Op. 95 on, to be followed by Op. 127, so I'm at the point bridging the Middle and the Late Quartets. 

springrite

Quote from: Annie on August 17, 2013, 11:57:28 AM
From now on, if I ask for a recommendation of the most fantastic recording of a quartet please while recommending keep in mind that, by fantastic I meant, if you close your eyes the performers appear muscular, toned and naked

Without the first two (muscular and toned), make sure they are not only fully clothed but in TUX!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

DavidW

Quote from: Annie on August 17, 2013, 11:57:28 AM
From now on, if I ask for a recommendation of the most fantastic recording of a quartet please while recommending keep in mind that, by fantastic I meant, if you close your eyes the performers appear muscular, toned and naked

Post of the day imo. :laugh: