Beethoven's String Quartets

Started by marvinbrown, July 14, 2007, 02:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mszczuj

Quote from: Mandryka on August 17, 2013, 07:08:22 AM
This is an interesting reply. Which performances do you feel succeed at integrating  133 with 130 as you describe?

I'm afraid we must still wait for such a performance. So far least irritating interpretation I've heard is the pianoforte one:

[asin]B004KDO2WA[/asin]

Mandryka

Quote from: mszczuj on August 18, 2013, 02:23:34 PM
I'm afraid we must still wait for such a performance. So far least irritating interpretation I've heard is the pianoforte one:

[asin]B004KDO2WA[/asin]

Well that one doesn't integrate 133 with 130 at all, since there is no transcription of 130 unfortunately!
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

mszczuj

Quote from: Mandryka on August 19, 2013, 06:56:02 AM
Well that one doesn't integrate 133 with 130 at all, since there is no transcription of 130 unfortunately!

But it is a first little step towards thinking about Die Grosse Fuge as if it was not obviously the most agressive work of the Classial Era.

Brian

Quote from: mszczuj on August 18, 2013, 02:23:34 PM

[asin]B004KDO2WA[/asin]

There is another pianoforte one.

[asin]B008N66L2Y[/asin]

Mandryka

Quote from: Brian on August 19, 2013, 07:08:22 AM
There is another pianoforte one.

[asin]B008N66L2Y[/asin]

But just op 133, right? Mot 130 and  133 together. It was mzsczuj's conception of how the two might relate which got me interested. I don't much care for the piano reduction, which is a bit like putting a lion in a cage. There's a good performance of the caged lion by Ursula Oppens and Paul Jacobs. I can let people have the Flacs if anyone cares.

Mandryka

Quote from: mszczuj on August 19, 2013, 07:07:59 AM
But it is a first little step towards thinking about Die Grosse Fuge as if it was not obviously the most agressive work of the Classial Era.

Right. I missed that post.

I'd better actually listen to that performance on Naxos. Will do.

You may like the second recording of the GF that The Tokyo quartet made.

Tyson

Am I the only one that loves the Cleveland Quartet?  Granted I am an audiophile, but still...
At a loss for words.

david-jw

For gritty I would go 1980s Lindsay quartet.

xochitl

Kodaly Quartet for dirt under the fingernails  ;D

jlaurson

The new erato

Quote from: jlaurson on September 02, 2013, 01:20:53 AM
jock itch.
An expression I've always wanted to read in a classical music review.

George

Quote from: North Star on August 14, 2013, 01:15:44 PM
I like the Endellions a lot, and I would think that you'll like it, too, George.

You are correct!! Enjoying it now. Again, many thanks to Brian.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Itullian

Takacs quartet are pretty gritty I think.
When all else fails, listen to Thick as a Brick.

Bogey

Bringing over this post concerning Budapest recordings from Todd so that it does not get lost in the "Listening Thread".  Thanks, Todd.

Quote from: Todd on September 08, 2013, 06:58:09 PM

Yes, there are three cycles, though I'd not read until now about the ensemble using the LOC instruments for the first cycle - they did use them for the cycle out on Bridge.  In addition, there are the earlier recordings on Columbia, released on Sony Masterworks Heritage.  If memory serves there are some earlier single recordings, too.  I agree that the early 50s mono set is the best overall, and it is readily available now on United Archives via Amazon, Presto, etc.  The Bridge set has some fine playing, but it is hampered by now ancient broadcast sound quality.  The 1940s recordings reissued on Masterworks Heritage generally sound better than the Bridge recordings, and are some of the finest transfers of old chamber recordings I've heard.

40s recordings:

50s Mono Cycle:

Stereo Cycle:

Bridge LOC cycle:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

Quote from: Bogey on September 08, 2013, 08:03:51 PM
Bringing over this post concerning Budapest recordings from Todd so that it does not get lost in the "Listening Thread".  Thanks, Todd.

Quote from: Todd on September 08, 2013, 06:58:09 PM

Yes, there are three cycles, though I'd not read until now about the ensemble using the LOC instruments for the first cycle - they did use them for the cycle out on Bridge.  In addition, there are the earlier recordings on Columbia, released on Sony Masterworks Heritage.  If memory serves there are some earlier single recordings, too.  I agree that the early 50s mono set is the best overall, and it is readily available now on United Archives via Amazon, Presto, etc.  The Bridge set has some fine playing, but it is hampered by now ancient broadcast sound quality.  The 1940s recordings reissued on Masterworks Heritage generally sound better than the Bridge recordings, and are some of the finest transfers of old chamber recordings I've heard.

40s recordings:

50s Mono Cycle:

Stereo Cycle:

Bridge LOC cycle:

So Todd, which are my Columbia lps?  (No dates on them.)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Todd

Quote from: Bogey on September 08, 2013, 08:05:42 PMSo Todd, which are my Columbia lps?  (No dates on them.)

The cover work says complete cycle, so it would be the early 50s mono cycle, or the red cover box on United Archives.  The complete set to own.  The 40s recordings are perhaps better in a few single performances, and faster across the board, but it is not a cycle.  I eliminated any possible dilemmas by buying all of the recordings.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Bogey

Quote from: Todd on September 08, 2013, 08:11:31 PM

The cover work says complete cycle, so it would be the early 50s mono cycle, or the red cover box on United Archives.  The complete set to own.  The 40s recordings are perhaps better in a few single performances, and faster across the board, but it is not a cycle.  I eliminated any possible dilemmas by buying all of the recordings.

Excellent maneuver. :)  Thanks for the above post.

jlaurson

>NOTES FROM THE 2013 SCHUBERTIADE ( 7 ) • HAGEN QUARTETT BEETHOVEN CYCLE I

Of Serious and Harp-playing Beethoven Cows

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2013/09/notes-from-2013-schubertiade-7-hagen.html

As hard as it is to trade the countryside, the sun, and the smell of grass and herbs  (essential experiences for anyone attending the Schubertiade) in for a concert hall, it has to be done: Duty calls...

Edit: LINK fixed.

Opus106

Naïve seems to be answering a few prayers this year.

At bargain price:

[Click on image to go to Presto's page.]
Regards,
Navneeth

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot