Beethoven's String Quartets

Started by marvinbrown, July 14, 2007, 02:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

Quote from: donwyn on September 22, 2007, 04:13:15 PM
I guess I'm satisfied enough with what I have: Vegh, bits from Takacs, Vlach, Hollywood, Hagen, Yale.

Have any of these crossed your path, Mark?

Heard some of the Takacs set, and again, liked what I heard. Didn't buy them, though: every time I checked on Amazon, they were either too pricey ... or discontinued. ;D With all the recommendations here for the Vegh, I wonder if I need to hear these. After all, I have two sets with which I'm happy.

George

Quote from: Mark on September 22, 2007, 04:25:37 PM
Heard some of the Takacs set, and again, liked what I heard. Didn't buy them, though: every time I checked on Amazon, they were either too pricey ... or discontinued. ;D With all the recommendations here for the Vegh, I wonder if I need to hear these. After all, I have two sets with which I'm happy.

You have Alexander and ?

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Mark on September 22, 2007, 04:25:37 PM

Oh, well, if you're budget conscious (who isn't? ;D) the Vegh stereo set is actually available at a pretty affordable price (last I checked). Might not be the last word in bargain-bin pricing but still pretty decent.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

longears

Quote from: Mark on September 22, 2007, 03:26:50 PM
Any reason why these guys haven't been mentioned in this thread (until now ;D)?

Just listening to them now, and I like what I hear. :)
They're not on a major label with all the promotional folderol that goes with it.  I like them very much, but they're one of the hometown teams so I'm prejudiced.  We usually catch them a few times a season.  This year we've a subscription to their Beethoven series in Berkeley.  Op. 59, 74, 95.  Their Shosty cycle a few years ago was superb!

DavidW

I'd chime in here and voice my admiration for Vegh Q, but apparently Bill had me covered. ;D

George

Quote from: DavidW on September 22, 2007, 05:36:21 PM
I'd chime in here and voice my admiration for Vegh Q, but apparently Bill had me covered. ;D

At this point, saying the Vegh's stereo set is wonderful would be like saying Beethoven is wonderful.  :D

DavidW

I was about to reply to my own post and say "oh yeah Corey, well I..." and then I'm like wait that's not Corey, that's me.  Damn, stupid avatar. ;D

George

Quote from: DavidW on September 22, 2007, 06:12:17 PM
I was about to reply to my own post and say "oh yeah Corey, well I..." and then I'm like wait that's not Corey, that's me.  Damn, stupid avatar. ;D

It could be worse you know. You could have chosen Ingrid Bergman as your avatar and Bogey could have chosen the one you currently have. Then you and Corey would be making out in Bogey's avatar.   ;)

Kullervo

Quote from: George on September 22, 2007, 06:19:33 PM
It could be worse you know. You could have chosen Ingrid Bergman as your avatar and Bogey could have chosen the one you currently have. Then you and Corey would be making out in Bogey's avatar.   ;)

Too bad we don't share a Kim Novak avatar, otherwise I'd make a Vertigo reference so fast...

George

Quote from: Corey on September 22, 2007, 06:25:53 PM
Too bad we don't share a Kim Novak avatar, otherwise I'd make a Vertigo reference so fast...

;D

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: DavidW on September 22, 2007, 06:12:17 PM

Lay ten dollars on me and I won't change my avatar to Cary Grant! ;D

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

George

Quote from: donwyn on September 22, 2007, 06:36:47 PM
Lay ten dollars on me and I won't change my avatar to Cary Grant! ;D

I'm changing mine to Alfred Hitchcock, I'll control you all.  >:D

DavidW

Quote from: George on September 22, 2007, 06:38:08 PM
I'm changing mine to Alfred Hitchcock, I'll control you all.  >:D

There avatar changed, less confusion for all. ;D

George

Quote from: DavidW on September 22, 2007, 06:42:22 PM
There avatar changed, less confusion for all. ;D

;D

Who will dare choose the female lead from Psycho as their avatar?

Bogey

Mark, if you do not give the Végh stereo cycle a test drive I will simply SCREAM!
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

Quote from: Bogey on September 22, 2007, 07:04:36 PM
Mark, if you do not give the Végh stereo cycle a test drive I will simply SCREAM!

;D

Mark

Quote from: donwyn on September 22, 2007, 04:36:39 PM
Oh, well, if you're budget conscious (who isn't? ;D) the Vegh stereo set is actually available at a pretty affordable price.

Searched Amazon, but draw a blank. ???

marvinbrown

Quote from: Mark on September 23, 2007, 12:41:16 AM
Searched Amazon, but draw a blank. ???

Yes I tried that too while I was searching for a Complete set of Beethoven's string quartet and could not find the Vegh recording at an affordable price.

marvin

Que

Quote from: marvinbrown on September 23, 2007, 03:28:52 AM
  Yes I tried that too while I was searching for a Complete set of Beethoven's string quartet and could not find the Vegh recording at an affordable price.

marvin

Well, $60 or £35 is certainly not cheap for a set of 8 CD's, but it still might be affordable?

At least, you now know where to find it, Mark! :)

Q