Beethoven's String Quartets

Started by marvinbrown, July 14, 2007, 02:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

Quote from: Que on September 23, 2007, 03:36:05 AM

Well, $60 or £35 is certainly not cheap for a set of 8 CD's, but it still might be affordable?

At least, you now know where to find it, Mark! :)

Q

Thanks for turning that up, Que. ;)

DavidW

Hey Mark, the mono cycle is cheaper, not as good either performance or sq wise, but still good and way cheaper.  On amazon US at least you can get it for $15 used. :)

George

Quote from: DavidW on September 23, 2007, 07:19:43 AM
Hey Mark, the mono cycle is cheaper, not as good either performance or sq wise...

I think you just lost Mark's attention.  ;D

Mark

Quote from: George on September 23, 2007, 07:58:23 AM
I think you just lost Mark's attention.  ;D

;D

Hey Mark, the mono cycle is cheaper, not as good either performance or sq wise, but still good and way cheaper.  On amazon US at least you can get it for $15 used. :)

Thank you, David. But George is right: I owe it to myself not to compromise on either sound quality or performance. ;)

DavidW

Quote from: Mark on September 23, 2007, 08:16:04 AM
;D

Thank you, David. But George is right: I owe it to myself not to compromise on either sound quality or performance. ;)

Then why were you complaining about the price? ???

Bogey

And based on samples, good enough that this will be my next cycle purchase if and when this happens.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Mark

Quote from: DavidW on September 23, 2007, 09:20:15 AM
Then why were you complaining about the price? ???

Er ... I wasn't. Re-read my posts and Donwyn's - you'll see which set I was referring to. ;)

DavidW

Quote from: Mark on September 23, 2007, 09:30:36 AM
Er ... I wasn't. Re-read my posts and Donwyn's - you'll see which set I was referring to. ;)

Okay I did and it was as I remembered from this morning-- you were complaining about pricing and Donwyn told you to check out the stereo Vegh set saying that it was bargain priced, but it's not.  What have I missed?

Mark

David, for an intelligent guy you can sometimes be a bit dim. ;D

Here's what I posted: I was referring to the price of the Takacs Quartet's set on Decca (which was pretty pricey when I was following it a few months ago). It was Donwyn who mentioned the Vegh in connection with being 'budget conscious' - perhaps that's where you got confused?

Quote from: Mark on September 22, 2007, 04:25:37 PM
Heard some of the Takacs set, and again, liked what I heard. Didn't buy them, though: every time I checked on Amazon, they were either too pricey ... or discontinued.

DavidW

Oh yup that would be it, okay sorry.  Yeah the Takacs is still full price isn't it?

Mark

Quote from: DavidW on September 23, 2007, 10:56:35 AM
Yeah the Takacs is still full price isn't it?

It is. I could've got it cheaper from overseas, but I didn't want to risk the import tax. :(

Anne

Quote from: Scriptavolant on July 14, 2007, 07:42:52 PM
Leaning on much more experienced minds - since I didn't listen to a consistent range of interpretations -, if I had to recommend a recording , I'd go for our great Quartetto Italiano.

Enjoy.

Quartetto Italiano was recommended to me.  I like it very much.

stingo

I've got the Tokyo and the Alban Berg versions - I'll have to return to refill my ears with them soon.

Mark

Ahem ... time for me to correct an error of mine. I've just re-checked which recordings I have of these works, and it would appear I was wrong about my owning the Guarneri. That's the set I'll soon own, once the Brilliant Classics Complete Beethoven boxed set arrives. No, it turns out I've got the Alexander Quartet in all of the Quartets, plus Op. 18 with the Sharon Quartet and all the others with the Medici Quartet. How embarrassing!

longears

Quote from: Mark on September 23, 2007, 02:51:42 PM
Ahem ... time for me to correct an error of mine. I've just re-checked which recordings I have of these works, and it would appear I was wrong about my owning the Guarneri. That's the set I'll soon own, once the Brilliant Classics Complete Beethoven boxed set arrives. No, it turns out I've got the Alexander Quartet in all of the Quartets, plus Op. 18 with the Sharon Quartet and all the others with the Medici Quartet. How embarrassing!

Ah, just a mistake, no biggie...so, Mark--how do you like the Alexander String Quartet? 

Mark

Quote from: longears on September 24, 2007, 05:04:57 AM
... how do you like the Alexander String Quartet? 

They play very well, with real commitment and energy. At times, the higher notes can come across as harsh, sharp or slightly over-bright, but that's a 'fault' of the engineer, not the musicians. I'd say I prefer the Medici Quartet on Nimbus, but that might change once I've heard the Guarneri.

I've had an opportunity since yesterday to sample a little of the stereo Vegh set (the Op. 131, no more), and again, I felt more drawn towards the Medici - for reasons of sonics as much as performance. The Vegh Quartet seem to me to be a little too deliberate, as though they were playing while still 'thinking out' their interpretation. The Medici avoid this and instead imbue the work with a charm and spontaneity that feel much more honest and fluid.

bhodges

Recently I have been listening to the Orion String Quartet's new 3-CD release of the middle quartets, and I enjoyed them thoroughly.  They are fresh and play with great abandon, and the sound quality is excellent.  I especially liked the group's ability to capture the volatile moods of these pieces.  I'm not saying it's "the only" set, but for some listeners they could be a first choice.  (Eventually Orion will release the rest of the cycle.)

--Bruce

Mark

Quote from: bhodges on September 24, 2007, 12:24:38 PM
Recently I have been listening to the Orion String Quartet's new 3-CD release of the middle quartets, and I enjoyed them thoroughly.  They are fresh and play with great abandon, and the sound quality is excellent.  I especially liked the group's ability to capture the volatile moods of these pieces.  I'm not saying it's "the only" set, but for some listeners they could be a first choice.  (Eventually Orion will release the rest of the cycle.)

--Bruce

And their label is ... ?

bhodges

Quote from: Mark on September 24, 2007, 12:54:29 PM
And their label is ... ?

It's on Koch, and just came out in March of this year. 

--Bruce

FideLeo

Not a HIP set, but the next better thing - Gewandhaus Quartet (NCA) - superb sound throughout, and imo an unusual but truly intriguing interpretation.  Available from sources like ebay or amazon uk for around £20.

HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!