Is this possible on the piano? updated (once)

Started by Guido, July 15, 2007, 01:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guido

Quote from: lukeottevanger on July 19, 2007, 02:34:21 PM
[Re. Petruskha transcription...]

Ah yes, that one. Years since I last ploughed through it! This must be one of the most difficult 'standard' pieces out there - it's perfectly clear how one needs to play it, but its just so tricky under the fingers..  :o Makes Guido's Rite look like a five finger exercise!

Clearly, all the pianistic difficulties I cleverly worked into the score were due to my sensitive understanding of Stravinsky's keyboard writing. My brilliance astounds even me sometimes.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Guido

Note that the lack of smileys means that anything pertaining to humour, irony or sarcasm can safely be ruled out.
Geologist.

Maciek

B. 223 and onwards?

Ha, ha, ha! Let's see if I have enough English to even begin to explain this...

Well, the first 4 bars are fairly straightforward (at least for Leetchkiss): the r.h. plays your cello part + syncopated sixteenths (roughly the rhythm of your l.h.) - E-flat-G alternating with D-F. In the meantime the l.h. runs through a series of rising scales (sixteenths): F, A, B, C, D, E flat, F, G, A (- that's the first note in the new bar, now it's down a sixth:) C, D, E flat etc.

Now, in the 5th bar it gets interesting: essentially, it's the same thing you've written, only a bit more complex (:o). The l.h. plays your middle and bottom staves, while the r.h. plays your top stave AND a series of sixteenths alternating between the two thirds spelled out above (only this time it's without the pauses - no syncopation, just a regular ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta rhythm) - this is all notated using the standard 2 staves (it's all quavers for the l.h.). It only gets worse from there, as the r.h. starts to play the "melody" in octaves. ::)

I told you this transcription was difficult. :P 0:)

Maciek

Now bar 276 onwards... Come Rostropovich!

Probably my favorite part (0:)), so I've played through this several times, and though it is a bit difficult for me, I'm sure I'd get it with some practice.

Anyway, this is again notated on 2 staves. It's roughly the same as your version - see attachment several posts down.

Maciek

Quote from: Maciek on July 19, 2007, 04:04:20 PM
alternatingly (? is there such a word? ::)).

I've just checked. There is. :) 8)

[sigh of relief]

Joe_Campbell

Quote from: Guido on July 19, 2007, 02:29:15 PM
Thankyou Joe. If I could play piano I would play through that now! It's nice to see that Stravinsky used three staves at times, though I'm willing to bet that his was a leeeetle bit more pianistic than mine! Theres something often very beautiful about his scores.

I'm having a bit of a stravinsky phase at the moment - the concerto for two pianos is a new discovery of mine and is absolutely brilliant, and obviously I've been listening to the Rite a lot whilst doing this. I'm really fond of the late atonal works too - especially Requiem Canticles. The Nighingale and and the Symphony of Psalms has been playing a lot too. Apparently that was Shostakovich's favourite work by Stravinsky.

Next week I'm doing an orchestra course where we'll be rehearsing and performing both the Firebird and Petrouchka - I've played the former before (the most fun I've had in an orhestra) and never even heard the second. Should be an absolute blast.
I can send you my recording of Pollini playing it if you'd like. Truly incredible, it is. The files are .m4a, so not much plays them (VLC media player does). This set also has him playing an amazing Prokofiev 7th Piano Sonata.

Guido

I would love that - doesn't itunes play mp4s?
Geologist.

Guido

Thank you very much Maciek. I'll try and decipher what that would look like in score form (bar 276 etc.) - bar 223 sounds mental!

I have another general question. The 9-tuplets in the last section - Could someone suggest an arpeggiated figure that could be played with just the right hand so that the left hand could play some low tremolo notes to create the crescendo and cymbals?
Geologist.

Guido

That sounds very interesting - but unfortunately I'm not sure I understand fully - bar 276 of mine definitely has the same rhythm as the orchestral score - or am I completely misunderstanding? - I hate to ask you this after you took so much time to explain it but its too much for my little mind to handle! - maybe you could take a picture of the passage in question and attatch it to a post here? Tell me to bugger off if you want to!
Geologist.

Maciek

You're probably right - your version is more faithful to the score, don't know what I was thinking...

Maciek

And now that I've posted this I suddenly realize I forgot to mention that the left hand is all played an octave lower... 0:)

Maciek

Guido

Thank you very much! That was ridiculously quick! I'll have a mull.

G'night sir!

EDIT: The one you just posted is actually very similar to mine - I don't think that the chords on the top staff are meant to be alternate (definitely not after the first bar, but I think even in the first bar the chords on the top stave are meant to be simultaneous - look at the rests.).
Geologist.

Maciek

You're absolutely right! :o Apparently I didn't even once look at the rests (just glanced at the way they are lined up)... I feel like the total fool I probably am. :-[

Just in case I've messed everything up in the other example: here are the photos.

Guido

Here's some possibilities instead of the 9-tuplets in the last section. (attatched) Playable?
Geologist.

Maciek

No. 2. I'm also going to delete my earlier inanities.

Guido

QuoteYou're absolutely right!  Apparently I didn't even once look at the rests (just glanced at the way they are lined up)... I feel like the total fool I probably am.

Not at all - thankyou very much for trying to help. This happened to me the other day - Bartok's first Rhapsody, a piece I thought I knew and loved, and it turns out that I've been playing dotted rhythms where there were none and straight rhythms where there are dotted ones, for about 2 years!
Geologist.

Maciek

I actually once almost failed an exam because, as it turned out, I had been misreading, for at least 5 years (since high school)!, one of the words in the TITLE of a cycle of poems I was asked about. It wasn't a Freudian slip, I simply kept seeing a very close synonym that was a syllable longer (głębinami instead of głębiami). The amazing thing is that not only had I read the poems themselves, but I had also read countless articles about the poems! Got a lower mark because the examiner felt I was somehow cheating (needless to say, my explanation wasn't very convincing, especially since at first I didn't even understand his correction; it was like: - Now, let me move on to Nad głębinami. - You mean Nad głębiami? - Nad głębiami? - Yes. - No, I mean the collection of sonnets Nad głębinami. - That's called Nad głębiami. - What? etc. ;D)

Sorry for this self-indulgent, excusatory intrusion. ;D

Carry on.

Maciek

lukeottevanger

Absolutely - enough about Freudian slips, back to Guido's killer cello/piano transcription of Stravinsky's Write-off Strings

karlhenning

Quote from: lukeottevanger on July 20, 2007, 06:14:37 AM
. . . back to Guido's killer cello/piano transcription of Stravinsky's Write-off Strings

Suite lituanienne?