Recordings You Want To See in the Future

Started by eumyang, April 29, 2013, 07:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parsifal

Quote from: Omicron9 on November 03, 2017, 09:29:44 AM
A new Bartok cycle from the Emerson Quartet.  I have their 1989 recording on DG, which is excellent.  However, I saw them perform the entire set in a single concert in 1995 at Tanglewood, and their interpretation had really expanded and developed since the recording.  I gave up on a live CD from that performance (it was recorded), but am still hoping they'll re-record this cycle.  It would be devastating.  For me, anyway.

The Emerson Quartet has disbanded, no?

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Brian

Quote from: Scarpia on November 03, 2017, 09:32:58 AM
The Emerson Quartet has disbanded, no?
I believe they just released an album of Purcell and Britten.

Parsifal

Now I remember, the cellist quit the group.

Jo498

Quote from: Omicron9 on November 03, 2017, 09:30:51 AM
I can entirely recommend the Bloch/Griller set.  A slightly older-sounding recording, but the performance is just excellent.  I have the Pro Arte recordings, but the recording quality isn't that good for a modern DDD recording, and (my opinion) the performance isn't as good as the Griller set.
I have the Griller 1-4 but the 5th quartet was not recorded by them. I am loth to order one expensive disc from the US only for the 5th quartet. Overall the "scandal" is that there are not more and more recent and easily available recordings of this music. The piano quintets fare considerably better with two "modern" and available recordings (Hyperion and Praga? or another Czech label).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Omicron9

Quote from: Jo498 on November 04, 2017, 01:02:14 AM
I have the Griller 1-4 but the 5th quartet was not recorded by them. I am loth to order one expensive disc from the US only for the 5th quartet. Overall the "scandal" is that there are not more and more recent and easily available recordings of this music. The piano quintets fare considerably better with two "modern" and available recordings (Hyperion and Praga? or another Czech label).

Quite so: Grillers is 1 - 4, and I believe 5 was yet to be composed at the time of their recordings.  The Pro Arte have done all five, but (my opinion here) the performances are not up to the Griller's standards, and the recording quality is disappointing.  So I agree with you: a new Bloch cycle would be an exciting development!

Interesting thread, this.

"Signature-line free since 2017!"

Brian

BUMP

I've just learned that African American photographer and documentarian Gordon Parks composed a piano concerto, a ballet about/dedicated to MLK, and a symphony. Albert Murray described the piano concerto as not sounding jazzy, but rather "like Honegger in a darkroom." It seems that none of this music has been recorded - a pity, could potentially be important music to document. If you google his name and "piano concerto," there is a Washington Post review of a 1997 concert of his music preserved which suggests that it might be quite good.

Que

A complete HIP LvB SQ cycle, preferably by the Shuppanzigh Quartett!  8)

Jo498

I am still puzzled that about 40 years after the first Beethoven symphony recordings on old instruments and with at least 5 symphony cycles complete already in the mid/late 1990s there is still comparably little with HIP string quartet. Haydn, yes, but  by Mozart more mixed ensemble works than quartets and not much Beethoven except for op.18.
But of course there are lots of Beethoven quartet recordings and also a few HIP. Whereas for the Bloch quartets we are still with Griller and not much else. For Milhaud quartets there was a complete recording (quatuor parisii) but it has been long oop and apparently never re-issued in any format. Similarly with the Honegger quartets where there are two recordings or so but only expensively or as mp3 downloads.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Todd

To stick with the spirit of Brian's post, I'd like to see an Adolphus Hailstork edition from a label willing to plump for a proper American big band - Chicago being preferred.

From my original post, the Lucchesini Schubert came mostly true, and met expectations.

New ideas:

- Nils Mönkemeyer doing Bartok, Martinu, Berlioz, and Piston
- YES doing every piece of core rep.  If I must choose only a few, late Brahms, Ravel, and Debussy.  Szymanowski as a bonus.
- William Youn finishing his Schubert post-haste and then laying down the Annees de Pelerinage.
- Jamina Gerl playing some Beethoven and Liszt.
- Hermes Quartet in all core rep, starting with Schubert.
- Sergei Babayan playing some Chopin.  Any will work.

DavidW

I would like to see another recording of Robert Simpson's symphonies NOT on Hyperion Records so that it would be available to the masses (i.e. to stream).  They don't stream and they don't keep their recordings in print.  It is pay for digital download or forget the music exists.

jlopes

- Murray Perahia, the complete Well-Tempered Clavier. Because Perahia is my favorite Bach keyboard interpreter. I don't think it's possible, though, due to his health.

- Christian Gerhaher, Winterreise. A new recording. Gerhaher was too young when he first recorded the cycle. His second Müllerin is way better than the first. His new Winterreise would be the one for the century.

- Krystian Zimerman, opp. 109/110/111.

- Mitsuko Uchida, Diabelli Variations. She was supposed to recorded it last April. It was covid-delayed. Still waiting.

- Christian Tetzlaff, Berg Violin Concerto, paired with the Ligeti Concerto. But I would gladly accept the Schoenberg Concerto too.

- Stephen Hough, Musica Callada.

- Danish String Quartet, Bartók's six quartets.

- Kirill Gerstein, Années de Pèlerinage. And Francesco Piemontesi's missing third year. Piemontesi said in an interview that he'd "really like" to pair it with the B Minor Sonata. Count me in. Piemontesi would be great in Harmonies poétiques et religieuses too. And he is now beginning to work with Beethoven's sonatas...

- Takács Quartet, the complete Haydn op. 64. Or Mozart's quintets with Lawrence Power or other violist.

- Apartment House, Feldman's For Philip Guston.

- Pierre-Laurent Aimard, just about every Játékok - after Kurtág's death, since he is still writing them.

- Matthias Goerne, Schoeck's Notturno. Maybe with the Belcea Quartet.

- Marc-André Hamelin, Schoenberg's complete piano music.

- JACK Quartet, Carter's five quartets.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: DavidW on February 02, 2021, 10:14:42 AM
I would like to see another recording of Robert Simpson's symphonies NOT on Hyperion Records so that it would be available to the masses (i.e. to stream).  They don't stream and they don't keep their recordings in print.  It is pay for digital download or forget the music exists.

Yes, an alternative complete recording of his symphonies is more than necessary.

I would also like to see another cycle of Holmboe's symphonies. And complete recordings that bring together all Hilding Rosenberg's symphonies.

Other stuff that has not been officially recorded:

-Ernest Pingoud's symphonies and concertos
-Vitezslav Novák's symphonies
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

MusicTurner

Non-recorded repertoire:
- the string quartet cycle by Yuri Levitin
- Sorabji early (impressionist?) orchestral and his concertos
- Felix Glonti, symphonies and concertos
- Sergei Slonimsky, complete symphonies
- Karel Boleslav Jirak, symphonies etc.
- Obukhov, Book of Life, as complete as possible
- N.V. Bentzon, selected symphonies

Supplementary recordings:
- a more 'romantically coloured' Holmboe symphony cycle
- Pijper, symphonies 1-3 (they can be on a single disc ...)
- Monteverdi L'Orfeo, Currentzis
- Mahler, Das Lied, Currentzis (planned performance in March 2021, so options seem good)

3-year recording stop  ;D :
- Bach, concertos
- Mozart, symphonies and concertos
- Beethoven symphonies, concertos, quartets and sonatas
- Chopin piano works
- Mendelssohn instrumental works
- Shostakovich symphonies

Brian

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on February 02, 2021, 11:16:00 AM
-Vitezslav Novák's symphonies
Naxos just began a complete Novak orchestral series so you may not have long to wait. Well, aside from any pandemic-caused delays...

amw

I don't remember what I posted in this thread last time but here is a brief excerpt from my wishlist:

Horatiu Radulescu - the remainder of the string quartet cycle - JACK Quartet
Ludwig van Beethoven - Waldstein Sonata - Martha Argerich
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - the string quintets - Takács Quartet +1
James Dillon - complete string quartets - Arditti Quartet
Theodor Kirchner - complete piano music - any pianist, but Dominique Merlet seems like the best fit out of people who have his music in their repertoire
Stephen Heller - complete piano sonatas and larger piano works - any pianist, but Daniel Blumenthal seems like the best fit out of people who have his music in their repertoire
Horatiu Radulescu - complete orchestral music - any suitable French or German orchestra
Hermann Meier - complete orchestral music - any suitable Swiss orchestra
Ludwig van Beethoven - Hammerklavier Sonata - Marc-André Hamelin or Joseph Moog
Ludwig van Beethoven - complete string quartets - Chiaroscuro Quartet
Bernard van Dieren - complete string quartets - Utrecht Quartet
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - complete piano concertos, or at least 9 through 27 - Yeol Eum Son
any unreleased RAI Maria Tipo recordings
Karol Szymanowski - complete piano works - Krystian Zimerman
Sergei Prokofiev - piano sonatas 6, 7, 9, etc - Yuja Wang

Mirror Image

Quote from: amw on February 02, 2021, 12:27:37 PM
I don't remember what I posted in this thread last time but here is a brief excerpt from my wishlist:

Karol Szymanowski - complete piano works - Krystian Zimerman

LOL...don't hold your breath! :P I understand this is a wishlist, but this beyond fantasy. Zimerman is so widely eccentric in what he records. I was actually surprised to see that Bacewicz disc appear many years back.

Brian

Quote from: amw on February 02, 2021, 12:27:37 PM
Ludwig van Beethoven - complete string quartets - Chiaroscuro Quartet
oooooh good call

Todd

Quote from: amw on February 02, 2021, 12:27:37 PMKarol Szymanowski - complete piano works - Krystian Zimerman

A proper fantasy recording.

Quote from: amw on February 02, 2021, 12:27:37 PMSergei Prokofiev - piano sonatas 6, 7, 9, etc - Yuja Wang

This could happen.  Add this to my wishlist.

Holden

Marc-Andre Hamelin - the complete Chopin Etudes to go along with his transcriptions of those works he made a few years ago.
Cheers

Holden