Recordings You Want To See in the Future

Started by eumyang, April 29, 2013, 07:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amw

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 02, 2021, 12:32:47 PM
LOL...don't hold your breath! :P I understand this is a wishlist, but this beyond fantasy. Zimerman is so widely eccentric in what he records. I was actually surprised to see that Bacewicz disc appear many years back.
This is obviously a mix of things that are either likely to happen (e.g. the Ardittis have already played the complete Dillon quartets multiple times, and recorded two of them), could potentially happen in the future (e.g. it's not a complete stretch for the RAI to eventually send Audite its Maria Tipo tapes, since it's done that for a few other artists), or have a vanishingly small chance of ever happening (e.g. MA's only played the Waldstein once in her lifetime and the only thing her superfans could track down was a partial tape recorded by a member of the audience). I will probably go my entire life without ever hearing Zimerman play the Second and Third Szymanowski Sonatas, or anyone play the Radulescu piece for nine spectrally tuned orchestras. But, cast your bread upon the waters, etc.

Mirror Image

Quote from: amw on February 02, 2021, 07:46:44 PM
This is obviously a mix of things that are either likely to happen (e.g. the Ardittis have already played the complete Dillon quartets multiple times, and recorded two of them), could potentially happen in the future (e.g. it's not a complete stretch for the RAI to eventually send Audite its Maria Tipo tapes, since it's done that for a few other artists), or have a vanishingly small chance of ever happening (e.g. MA's only played the Waldstein once in her lifetime and the only thing her superfans could track down was a partial tape recorded by a member of the audience). I will probably go my entire life without ever hearing Zimerman play the Second and Third Szymanowski Sonatas, or anyone play the Radulescu piece for nine spectrally tuned orchestras. But, cast your bread upon the waters, etc.

Okay, well I'm happy with the recordings I own in my collection. :)

Symphonic Addict

I just forgot to mention recordings of Koechlin's symphonies. CPO or Timpani could do a fantastic job here.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Gustavo Dudamel actually recording more Latin American music. This is this strength as a conductor IMHO and so far, it's been one giant missed opportunity for him to promote classical music from this part of the world.

DavidW

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 07, 2021, 08:07:46 PM
Gustavo Dudamel actually recording more Latin American music. This is this strength as a conductor IMHO and so far, it's been one giant missed opportunity for him to promote classical music from this part of the world.

? Dudamel has devoted most of his career to conducting romantic era warhorses.  Why would performing Latin American music be a strength of his if he spends most of his time on Beethoven and Mahler?

MusicTurner

Quote from: DavidW on February 08, 2021, 05:31:28 AM
? Dudamel has devoted most of his career to conducting romantic era warhorses.  Why would performing Latin American music be a strength of his if he spends most of his time on Beethoven and Mahler?

Well, he also recorded all of Ives' symphonies and a Nielsen, both DG; so he does try some things a bit off the beaten track.

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on February 08, 2021, 05:31:28 AM

For one thing, he's Venezuelan and he did put out that album Fiesta (or some such title) on Deutsche Grammophon many years ago and, honestly, this is the best thing he's ever done, IMHO. I've heard some of his Mahler (amongst others) and didn't find him compelling or interesting at all.

Brian

Yep, I love Fiesta and saw him conduct a live program with SBYOV of Tchaikovsky 4 and "Santa Cruz de Pacairigua". I think there's a combo of factors here - the Venezuelan music resonated more with the whole orchestra (not just the conductor) since it comes from a tradition they knew growing up rather than one they had to learn. Also, it's less familiar - we don't know what, say, Bernstein or Munch or Martinon would have sounded like conducting this music, so we accept the Dude as authoritative.

The Dude's approach to core rep seems, like Nezet-Seguin's, to be better suited for seeing live than hearing on disc: lots of integrity and solidity so that you can nod and say, yes, that's right, but not a lot of originality.

Todd

The Dude's recording career is focused on core rep.  That sells better.  His performance career is more adventurous, including a fair number of world premiere performances, and before Covid hit, novel mixed media performances.  He's doing a reasonable job in following the path tread by MTT and Salonen.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

DavidW

Interesting, didn't know that other side to Dudamel.

Brian

Quote from: DavidW on February 02, 2021, 10:14:42 AM
I would like to see another recording of Robert Simpson's symphonies NOT on Hyperion Records so that it would be available to the masses (i.e. to stream).  They don't stream and they don't keep their recordings in print.  It is pay for digital download or forget the music exists.
Another dream coming true, this April:

SYMPHONIES NOS. 5 & 6
Composer(s):   SIMPSON, ROBERT
Artist(s):   LONDON SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA DAVIS LONDON PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA GROVES
Label:   LYRITA (LRE)

DavidW

Quote from: Brian on February 11, 2021, 11:36:45 AM
Another dream coming true, this April:

SYMPHONIES NOS. 5 & 6
Composer(s):   SIMPSON, ROBERT
Artist(s):   LONDON SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA DAVIS LONDON PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA GROVES
Label:   LYRITA (LRE)

Yes!!!

Hobby

I'd love to see Steven Osborne complete a Beethoven Sonata cycle, record Liszt sonata and the Annees de Pelerinage, and the Ligeti preludes. But almost anything else by him (eg further Prokofiev SonatasJ would be great.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Hobby on February 23, 2021, 07:44:36 AM
I'd love to see Steven Osborne complete a Beethoven Sonata cycle, record Liszt sonata and the Annees de Pelerinage, and the Ligeti preludes. But almost anything else by him (eg further Prokofiev SonatasJ would be great.

Welcome to GMG!  :)

pjme

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on February 05, 2021, 12:32:17 PM
I just forgot to mention recordings of Koechlin's symphonies. CPO or Timpani could do a fantastic job here.

Yes + the Symphonie d'Hymnes:  1. Hymne au soleil op.127, 2. Hymne au jour - op.110  -3.  Hymne à la nuit op.  48a -
4. Hymne à la jeunesse - op.148   -  5. Hymne à la vie - op.  69a.

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).