Wojciech Kilar (1932-2013)

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 04:53:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

Thanks for that, Maciek :)

I have ordered the Magnificat and Missa pro pace :)

Dundonnell

Now had a chance to listen to the 'Magnificat'.  I really like it ;D I suppose that I am a bit of a sucker for this sort of music but it is very beautiful with some exceptionally gorgeous choral writing.

Next up will be the Missa pro pace :)

Maciek

I don't remember the Magnificat well enough to comment but the first movement of the Missa is one of my absolute Kilar favorites. I find it extremely moving, in a Barber's Adagio Gorecki's 3rd kind of way.

Dundonnell

There are certainly passages in the second and third movements of the Magnificat where the high floating soprano line reminded me very much of the Gorecki 3rd :)

Dundonnell

'Missa pro pace' arrived today :)

Like the Magnificat this contains a great deal of slow, stately, sonorous choral work, all very beautiful and (I presume) deeply felt, mingled in the second movement with some Orff!

I do rather begin to wonder though-just the beginnings of a gnawing doubt....is this really as deeply felt as it sounds or is it what Kilar knows will resonate with his audience of today?

Maybe I am being dreadfully unfair to him?

Ciel_Rouge

Today I watched "The Portrait of a Lady" starring Nicole Kidman and was very surprised to learn that the most prominent piece was composed by Wojciech Kilar along with other pieces in the score (the OST also features pieces by Schubert). I found this very moving and hauntingly beautiful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY17xSRfKY8

Tapkaara

Kilar is one of my favorite composers. I was first introduced to him by his amazing score for Bram Stoker's Dracula. It must truly be one of the best film scores ever!

His work for string orchestra Orawa is a pretty amazing work. In it, he seems inspired by the dances of Polish highlanders, and influence that also is present in the tone poem Krzesany.

Ciel_Rouge

I recently learned that the waltz from Portrait of a Lady was actually a slowed down version of the one for the 1976 film Trędowata:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j-aCIqJfxM

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075348/

Maciek

This:

http://www.youtube.com/v/ehg5GM1A4uI

Orawa performed by AUKSO and... an accordion trio!

Not sure who arranged it - I'm guessing members of the trio.

Quite a controversy going on in the comments (in Polish).

Youtube also has the same trio perform it without a string orchestra (another arrangement). And AUKSO perform it without the trio (original version). But somehow this one seems most interesting (and daring). As to the final effect: well, I wonder how other GMGers feel about it?

Ciel_Rouge

Hi Maciek, I actually like Możdżer and enjoy accordion experiments etc. However, I still prefer the original Orawa not because this version is too "daring" but simply because I am moved more by the original.

lescamil

Sadly, someone will have to edit the title of this thread.

I don't really know his music, save for a few odds and ends and the film scores. Where is a good place to start in his concert music?
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

vandermolen

Realised I had his Dracula score in my collection which I have never played. Am doing so now and thoroughly enjoying it. Must investigate more of his music.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

The recent death of Kilar prompted me to investigate his music. I had his film music in my collection for years without listening to it  ::). It contains much beautiful material, not least 'Death and the Maiden' and 'Konig' but in fact the whole CD, including the Dracula music is hauntingly beautiful ( no pun intended). It is now on Naxos:
[asin]B0007ACVKU[/asin]
I would have also posted this under 'Movie Music' but can't find the thread  ::).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

North Star

Quote from: vandermolen on January 04, 2014, 01:58:04 AM
The recent death of Kilar prompted me to investigate his music. I had his film music in my collection for years without listening to it  ::). It contains much beautiful material, not least 'Death and the Maiden' and 'Konig' but in fact the whole CD, including the Dracula music is hauntingly beautiful ( no pun intended). It is now on Naxos:

I would have also posted this under 'Movie Music' but can't find the thread  ::).
Film (movie Music)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mirror Image

vandermolen

7/4

Quote from: vandermolen on January 04, 2014, 01:58:04 AM
[asin]B0007ACVKU[/asin]

Heard it this morning, thoroughly enjoyed it. Getting a bit spritely with those bells.

San Antone

vandermolen

Quote from: 7/4 on January 06, 2014, 04:44:23 AM
Heard it this morning, thoroughly enjoyed it. Getting a bit spritely with those bells.

Glad you liked it - an interesting discovery for me.