Maryla Jonas

Started by XB-70 Valkyrie, June 06, 2013, 09:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XB-70 Valkyrie

Just dug out a couple of old LPs of hers (late 40s, early 50s Columbia 10") after years of neglect. These were among the first LPs I ever bought after I discovered the magic of this format in the early 90s. I knew she was extraordinary even then. I listened again recently and was blown away. I am not much of a Chopin fan really, but I do love the nocturnes, berceuse, and a few other pieces. If you want Chopin pyrotechnics, look elsewhere (I am a big fan of Michelangeli), but you will never hear more heartfelt performances and more beautiful tone on the nocturnes. Her piannissimos are the most delicate, perfect, and virtuosic you will ever hear in this repertoire.

She had a very tragic life--parents, husband, and brothers killed by the Nazis during the invasion of Poland. She fled to Brazil afterward and spent several months in an insane asylum. If it were not for her discovery by Artur Rubinstein, she would probably be totally unknown today. Although she is virtually unknown--another great performer whose work sadly did not make the transition to CD (except for the Pearl reissue, which I believe is out of print).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_EauEL-_oY
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

George

Her Chopin is lovely.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Holden

This is excellent Chopin - loved it!
Cheers

Holden

Mandryka

just thinking of the mazurkas for the moment,  I think she does really well in  the slower more contemplative mazurkas. There's a disarming candour there and she knd of gives the music meanng. i don't know how.  But when you take a faster, dancier, bumpier mazurkas, it's not so convincing. See what you think, I could be wrong. Compare how she plays op67/4 with Ignaz Friedman, for example. I bet you'll prefer Friedman. but I could be wrong.

Similarly for op 41/4, which seems a bit glib compared with Indjic or Koroliov.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

George

Anyone get the new box set of her complete recordings? How are the transfers? Who did them?
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

J.A.W.

Quote from: George on August 13, 2017, 03:00:42 PM
Anyone get the new box set of her complete recordings? How are the transfers? Who did them?

The transfers/mixes/mastering were done by Andreas K. Meyer and Rebekah Wineman: https://www.discogs.com/Maryla-Jonas-The-Maryla-Jonas-Story-Her-Complete-Piano-Recordings-Remastered/release/10562120 (scroll down)

Jed Distler wrote the liner notes.
Hans

Mandryka

Quote from: George on August 13, 2017, 03:00:42 PM

The transfers on Sony are a revelation I think. Buy it even if you already have the Pearl or amateur transfers which have been circulating on the web.

Having said that I haven't heard this transfer, but it's hard to imagine it's better than the Sony

http://www.78experience.com/welcome.php?mod=disques&collection=70
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen