Viktor Kalabis (1923-2006)

Started by Symphonic Addict, November 08, 2023, 10:57:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

calyptorhynchus

Now you've got me on a Kalabis track...

Just one question, is it the case that the Cello Concerto has never been recorded? I can't find a performance.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Scion7

And others - couldn't find these:

Cello Conc., op.8, 1951;
Trumpet Conc., op.36, 1973;
Bajka [Fable], chamber orch, op.59, 1983;
Piano Conc. no.2, wind, op.64, 1985;
Diptych, str, op.66, 1987
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Irons

Piano Concertos are not a genre a warm to, however the Kalabis Concerto is an exception. Understated with a lightness of touch I appreciated very much.
Kalabis has more then one hat! I also listened to his Piano Trio. Modern and progressive with a similarity in the final to Shostakovich. Two works with little if anything in common.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Irons on November 17, 2023, 01:07:03 PMPiano Concertos are not a genre a warm to, however the Kalabis Concerto is an exception. Understated with a lightness of touch I appreciated very much.
Kalabis has more then one hat! I also listened to his Piano Trio. Modern and progressive with a similarity in the final to Shostakovich. Two works with little if anything in common.

It must be his First Piano Concerto as his Second one is written in a more modern language, or at least that was I thought when I heard it. Another concerto I gave a listen recently was the Concerto for bassoon and winds and that wasn't my cup of tea at all. It's been the most unappealing work I've heard by him so far.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Scion7

re: the concertino for bassoon & wind instruments, Op.61

I agree that the first movement, with its flute/piccolo/slide-whistle parts is basically unlistenable - guaranteed to make your cat or dog flee the hearth!  the center section is much better .... 
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Irons

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on November 17, 2023, 08:10:22 PMIt must be his First Piano Concerto as his Second one is written in a more modern language, or at least that was I thought when I heard it. Another concerto I gave a listen recently was the Concerto for bassoon and winds and that wasn't my cup of tea at all. It's been the most unappealing work I've heard by him so far.

Composed 1954.

Piano Trio later in 1974.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on November 18, 2023, 12:21:46 AMComposed 1954.

I'll try and locate them on youtube.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on November 17, 2023, 01:07:03 PMPiano Concertos are not a genre a warm to, however the Kalabis Concerto is an exception. Understated with a lightness of touch I appreciated very much.
Enjoying the PC!  Found it here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irPaCOyRDTs

Uploaded by Supraphon.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Irons on November 18, 2023, 12:21:46 AMComposed 1954.

Yes, it is his Piano Concerto No. 1 then. The Piano Concerto No. 2 is from 1985.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky