Krzysztof Penderecki (1933-2020)

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Quote from: Maestro267 on March 01, 2023, 12:37:01 AMIt's even longer if you add the Chaconne for strings Penderecki wrote in 2005 in memory of Pope John Paul II. It fits nicely between the Sanctus and Agnus Dei. The transition is incredible.

Maestro, I don't believe the Chaconne has been recorded yet in a complete performance of the Polish Requiem yet, to my knowledge.  Only been recorded separately, thus far.

Brahmsian

This is such a fantastic disc!  It vies for my favourite Penderecki disc in my collection.

All from his avant garde period with the Horn Concerto (2008), the exception.

foxandpeng

Listening again to Symphony 2, after reading the last few posts in this thread. I'm reminded what a fine work this is. I'm doubtless long overdue for a Penderecki survey...
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Brahmsian

Quote from: foxandpeng on March 02, 2023, 06:08:51 AMListening again to Symphony 2, after reading the last few posts in this thread. I'm reminded what a fine work this is. I'm doubtless long overdue for a Penderecki survey...

Please do.  I feel all lonesome here.  ;D

Maestro267

Quote from: OrchestralNut on March 01, 2023, 05:31:01 AMMaestro, I don't believe the Chaconne has been recorded yet in a complete performance of the Polish Requiem yet, to my knowledge.  Only been recorded separately, thus far.

Yes but Spotify (or insert your streaming service of choice) exists. Just queue up the Chaconne to play after Sanctus and Bob's yer uncle!

DavidW

Quote from: foxandpeng on March 02, 2023, 06:08:51 AMListening again to Symphony 2, after reading the last few posts in this thread. I'm reminded what a fine work this is. I'm doubtless long overdue for a Penderecki survey...

Nice to see you back btw.

foxandpeng

"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Brahmsian

Listening to this set of transcribed concertos.

Double Concerto for Viola and Cello and Orchestra (transcribed for Accordion and Orchestra)

Concerto for Flute and Chamber Orchestra (transcribed for Soprano Saxophone and Chamber Orchestra)

Overall, mixed feelings.  I got this specifically because I got real excited about the accordion transcription.  It did not blow my socks off like I expected.  However, I thought the soprano saxophone transcription worked out a lot better.  Really good, actually.

Brahmsian

Does anyone have any information on Da Natura Sonoris III (2012)?  Obviously, composed much later than his earlier I and II in 1966 and 1971 respectively.

I cannot seem to find any "Google" information as to whether there is any plan to record this?

Perhaps a hunting expedition for @Cato  :)

Cato

Quote from: OrchestralNut on March 03, 2023, 12:36:07 PMDoes anyone have any information on Da Natura Sonoris III (2012)?  Obviously, composed much later than his earlier I and II in 1966 and 1971 respectively.

I cannot seem to find any "Google" information as to whether there is any plan to record this?

Perhaps a hunting expedition for @Cato  :)

The Publisher is Schott, in Germany, and their website has this:

https://www.schott-music.com/en/de-natura-sonoris-no-3-no279067.html

It is not much.  I was hoping for at least a 1-minute sample!

I also tried a certain Russian pirate of my acquaintance (  ;)  ) but no luck with him either!

Perhaps if one contacted Schott, they would offer news of a performance to come, which might be broadcast and able to be recorded.

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Brahmsian

Now listening to this tremendous work.  I think it is his (alongside the Polish Requiem) most powerful and moving choral work of his post avant-garde period.  Gripping and uplifting!

foxandpeng

Quote from: OrchestralNut on March 06, 2023, 12:48:38 PMNow listening to this tremendous work.  I think it is his (alongside the Polish Requiem) most powerful and moving choral work of his post avant-garde period.  Gripping and uplifting!

I don't often reach for choral music, but this is a fine piece. Along with symphonies 2 and 3, I've heard it two or three times this week. Gripping is a good word.

Tolstoy

brewski

Just found out that Penderecki's opera The Black Mask will be streamed on Thursday by the Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra, with Marin Alsop conducting. (For those who might be craving something different for Thanksgiving. ;D )

From the press release:

As a high point of her first season as Artistic Director and Chief Conductor of the Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra, MacArthur award winner Marin Alsop leads the ensemble in a rare, semi-staged performance of Krzysztof Penderecki's opera The Black Mask this Thursday, November 23, to commemorate the late composer's 90th birthday. Directed by Georg Zlabinger, Associate Director of the English National Opera, and featuring the NFM Choir and a large cast of soloists headed by tenor Tadeusz Szlenkier, sopranos Yeree Suh and Joanna Kędzior, and mezzo-soprano Jennifer Johnson Cano, the performance will not only be recorded for future video release, but will also stream live on medici.tv, where it will then be available on demand worldwide for a full five years.

The Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra (NOSPR), Poland's first independent radio symphony orchestra, makes its home in the city of Katowice. NOSPR has enjoyed close relationships with Poland's preeminent contemporary composers, including the late Krzysztof Penderecki, who led the orchestra in multiple performances and recordings of his music before his death in 2020. Drawing on Penderecki's "wide and potent musical vocabulary, which ranges from raw-edged dissonance to a supercharged lyricism" (Washington Post), The Black Mask (1986) tells a story of murder, plague, blackmail and religious conflict that can be understood as "a brutal and complex parable for our times" (Bachtrack).

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: brewski on November 20, 2023, 06:43:49 AMJust found out that Penderecki's opera The Black Mask will be streamed on Thursday by the Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra, with Marin Alsop conducting. (For those who might be craving something different for Thanksgiving. ;D )

From the press release:

As a high point of her first season as Artistic Director and Chief Conductor of the Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra, MacArthur award winner Marin Alsop leads the ensemble in a rare, semi-staged performance of Krzysztof Penderecki's opera The Black Mask this Thursday, November 23, to commemorate the late composer's 90th birthday. Directed by Georg Zlabinger, Associate Director of the English National Opera, and featuring the NFM Choir and a large cast of soloists headed by tenor Tadeusz Szlenkier, sopranos Yeree Suh and Joanna Kędzior, and mezzo-soprano Jennifer Johnson Cano, the performance will not only be recorded for future video release, but will also stream live on medici.tv, where it will then be available on demand worldwide for a full five years.

The Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra (NOSPR), Poland's first independent radio symphony orchestra, makes its home in the city of Katowice. NOSPR has enjoyed close relationships with Poland's preeminent contemporary composers, including the late Krzysztof Penderecki, who led the orchestra in multiple performances and recordings of his music before his death in 2020. Drawing on Penderecki's "wide and potent musical vocabulary, which ranges from raw-edged dissonance to a supercharged lyricism" (Washington Post), The Black Mask (1986) tells a story of murder, plague, blackmail and religious conflict that can be understood as "a brutal and complex parable for our times" (Bachtrack).

-Bruce
Does one need to subsribe or can just one click on it? And is it free?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

brewski

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 20, 2023, 08:11:36 AMDoes one need to subsribe or can just one click on it? And is it free?

PD

Just found it on the site (under "concerts" rather than "opera," which is why it didn't pop up before), and it does appear to be free with registration. (Just create a free account with your name and email.) Some of medici.tv is subscription-only, but I have no idea how they decide.

https://www.medici.tv/en/concerts/marin-alsop-conducts-penderecki-black-mask-90th-birthday-nospr

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)