The Music Room > Composer Discussion

Camille Saint-Saëns

<< < (61/61)

relm1:
I quite like this Organ Symphony with Pittsburgh/Maazel.  The tempo is slow, but the organ is mighty.

VonStupp:

--- Quote from: relm1 on June 09, 2022, 04:53:58 AM ---I quite like this Organ Symphony with Pittsburgh/Maazel.  The tempo is slow, but the organ is mighty. 


--- End quote ---

I like this one too!  :)

I usually don't mind if the organ has to be recorded separately, but organist Anthony Newman was recorded at St. Ignatius Loyola in New York 3 years after the orchestra set down their portion. The delay seems unusual.

VS

relm1:

--- Quote from: VonStupp on June 09, 2022, 05:04:04 AM ---I like this one too!  :)

I usually don't mind if the organ has to be recorded separately, but organist Anthony Newman was recorded at St. Ignatius Loyola in New York 3 years after the orchestra set down their portion. The delay seems unusual.

VS

--- End quote ---

Yes, I thought it was strange that the organ wasn't part of the performance.  BUT, as someone who was heard dozens of recordings, I still find this the finest interpretation of the work regardless of that fact.  I'm ok with this because it's not that different from nearly any recording being an edit of multiple performances frequently on different occasions and sometimes venues too. 

Olias:
Don't know if this has been mentioned but the Utah Symphony has a three CD set of the symphonies with some other works which is very good.

Mirror Image:

--- Quote from: Olias on June 12, 2022, 06:44:18 PM ---Don't know if this has been mentioned but the Utah Symphony has a three CD set of the symphonies with some other works which is very good.

--- End quote ---

The Thierry Fischer cycle is pretty good, but not in the same league as Mǎcelaru on Warner or the older Martinon cycle. Just my two cents.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version