Camille Saint-Saëns

Started by BachQ, April 12, 2007, 05:11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Quote from: JoshLilly on July 11, 2007, 07:36:54 AM
Saint-Saëns is a composer I used to hate, and now like quite a lot!

Testify, brother!

Que

IMO Saint-Saëns' strenths are to be found in his chamber music: highly original and inventive, with a very keen eye for unusual combinations of instruments and blending their sounds. He was a real French composer in that last respect, though his music is structurely more insprired by the Austro-German repertoire. A very interesting combination.

Some favourites.

Q

m_gigena

Quote from: D Minor on April 24, 2007, 11:54:12 AM
I've never heard the OBOE SONATA . . . . . . Thanks for the tip! . . . . . .  8)

While you order that... some guy called A.Rubtsov recorded Introduction & Rondo-Capriccioso on oboe.

m_gigena

His Etudes are fantastic; all of them: sixths, thirds, rythm difficulties, sing-through chords, left hand alone, staccato. They are not only technically constructive, but also provide great fun for pianists-to-be.

hautbois

Quote from: Manuel on July 11, 2007, 10:44:43 AM
While you order that... some guy called A.Rubtsov recorded Introduction & Rondo-Capriccioso on oboe.

I have never heard of that piece, but the oboist is well known for being the young oboist whom at his early 20s is already principal in the Russian National Orchestra. Which label did that recording come from?

m_gigena

Quote from: hautbois on July 18, 2007, 08:39:56 AM
I have never heard of that piece, but the oboist is well known for being the young oboist whom at his early 20s is already principal in the Russian National Orchestra. Which label did that recording come from?

An impressed friend sent me the file in mp3 format, through Msn Messenger, a while ago. I don't know where it came from.

Greta

This thread needs reviving.

3rd Violin Concerto is to die for. The perfectly gorgeous Allegro, the fragile beauty of the harmonic arpeggios colored by the clarinet at the end of the Andantino, the swoonworthy passion of the last movement, and the final joyous brass contrasted with the lyrical virtuosic violin lines. Oh my. Wow. Shame on me for not exploring Saint-Saëns more until now...

Who do you like in the violin concertos? I was listening to Perlman, very nice.

Edit: Wanted to add, the portrait at the beginning of this thread is so beautiful and lifelike, one of nicest composer portraits I have seen...who painted it?

Mark

Harry

m_gigena

Quote from: Greta on September 02, 2007, 07:59:55 PM

As I said before, I don't think you will find one better than Perlman/Barenboim for the third.
And I stick to Ricci for the second concerto.

Quote from: Mark on September 02, 2007, 09:17:21 PM
Now try his Second. ;)

Interesting, but not better than the third.

Mark

Quote from: Manuel on September 03, 2007, 02:59:28 AM

I had in mind the slow movement specifically.

karlhenning

Quote from: Greta on September 02, 2007, 07:59:55 PM
This thread needs reviving.

3rd Violin Concerto is to die for. The perfectly gorgeous Allegro, the fragile beauty of the harmonic arpeggios colored by the clarinet at the end of the Andantino, the swoonworthy passion of the last movement, and the final joyous brass contrasted with the lyrical virtuosic violin lines. Oh my. Wow. Shame on me for not exploring Saint-Saëns more until now...

Edit: Wanted to add, the portrait at the beginning of this thread is so beautiful and lifelike, one of nicest composer portraits I have seen...who painted it?

Go, Greta, go! :-)

I like any violinist in the Saint-Saëns concerti as they are playing them (I just haven't heard any to dislike in these).

Quote from: Manuel on September 03, 2007, 02:59:28 AM

Mark's comment does not imply any relative superiority, of course.

m_gigena

Quote from: karlhenning on September 03, 2007, 07:37:23 AM
Mark's comment does not imply any relative superiority, of course.

It's easy to read mine does.

JoshLilly

Quote from: karlhenning on July 11, 2007, 07:55:12 AM
Testify, brother!

Wish I could say much more than I did before! Did I mention Samson et Dalila?  When I first started listening to this opera, with its almost monotonous opening minutes, I moved to skip ahead, but I couldn't. Now, I love how the opera starts, I find it oddly compelling, in the same way that I find myself unbreakably fascinated by the first movement of Brahms Op.25 Piano Quartet. The pieces are not at all similar for a myriad of reasons, but my emotional response is very similar: "I can't turn this off!" These are probably the only two pieces in all of music that hold such a completely mysterious hold on me, which is really bizarre considering I'm not so heavy into late 19th century music in general.

Sorry, my technical knowledge of music is extremely limited, so I'm stuck with feelings and impressions. Don't have anything meaningful to contribute.

karlhenning

ChamberNut

Ok, after having hearing a live performance of Saint-Saens' Piano Concerto No. 2, I would love to have some recommendations!  Of the #2, or of all 5 PCs for that matter!   :)  Thank you kindly.  0:)

I've seen a few recommendations for Stephen Hough. 

Wanderer

My first recommendation would be Pascal Rogé (on a midpriced Decca twofer) but Hough is also a worthy choice.

karlhenning

Good question, Ray!  The set I've got is lovely, but would be an eccentric recommendation (not sure it's still available) . . . a mono reissue, performed by Jeanne-Marie Darré.

karlhenning

Hah! I had clean forgot that I have this EMI two-fer, as well . . . for when I need stereo in my life  8)