Camille Saint-Saëns

Started by BachQ, April 12, 2007, 05:11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on November 22, 2012, 08:41:13 AM
Old post, but sort of slim pickings on this thread. Just wanted to say I've recently gotten to know SS's first cello sonata. It's the performance below. Either the work is intentionally written with an ear towards depth or the performers dig deeply into the score to fatten it up. Either way it's an astounding piece. (But that's as far as I've gotten with SS and his chamber output).

[asin]B0000245TC[/asin]

That does look especially enticing.

The rest of the disc is equally fascinating.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 22, 2012, 05:51:38 PM
I wouldn't mind picking it up but it appears to be out-of-print. Do you have a current favorite Organ Symphony, DD?

Y'know, I don't actually have a recording of the Organ symphony, nor any of SS's symphonies. In fact, my collection of SS amounts to only three CD's. But ironically I've heard quite a bit of SS as my local classical station programs his music pretty often.

It's not that I don't like SS - I do - it's just there's so much music out there to collect.

Lately I'm looking at his symphonies, his PCs, his first two VCs (I have his third), and maybe his opera.

It's new territory for me but it's a journey I'm happy to take on!

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on November 22, 2012, 08:14:59 PM
Y'know, I don't actually have a recording of the Organ symphony, nor any of SS's symphonies. In fact, my collection of SS amounts to only three CD's. But ironically I've heard quite a bit of SS as my local classical station programs his music pretty often.

It's not that I don't like SS - I do - it's just there's so much music out there to collect.

Lately I'm looking at his symphonies, his PCs, his first two VCs (I have his third), and maybe his opera.

It's new territory for me but it's a journey I'm happy to take on!

His concerti are fine. His symphonies are uneven in inspiration. The first symphony sounds like leftover Mendelssohn. The second he begins to find his voice and the third needs no explanation. I own a good bit of Saint-Saens and he's certainly a composer I enjoy very much, but I have found his music works better, for me, in small doses. I don't try to overload myself with his music. In the end, I have to have more grit and edge in my music, which is why Shostakovich is my favorite composer. I don't think Saint-Saens is a composer of much depth, but his music sure is fun! :)

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 22, 2012, 09:29:35 PM
His concerti are fine. His symphonies are uneven in inspiration. The first symphony sounds like leftover Mendelssohn. The second he begins to find his voice and the third needs no explanation. I own a good bit of Saint-Saens and he's certainly a composer I enjoy very much, but I have found his music works better, for me, in small doses. I don't try to overload myself with his music. In the end, I have to have more grit and edge in my music, which is why Shostakovich is my favorite composer. I don't think Saint-Saens is a composer of much depth, but his music sure is fun! :)

Thanks for the assessment, MI. I probably won't need to binge on SS but I agree there's lots of potential.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Brian

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 22, 2012, 05:51:38 PM
I wouldn't mind picking it up but it appears to be out-of-print. Do you have a current favorite Organ Symphony, DD?

The regular CD (as opposed to SACD) of the Nezet-Seguin performance is in stock for $18 at ArkivMusic and can be downloaded via MP3 or FLAC for those interested.

As an aside, I love all five piano concertos dearly and, although I have heard a lot of solo piano music by SS that I liked, the ongoing complete survey by Geoffrey Burleson is disappointingly played. Piers Lane's excellent etudes CD on Hyperion should be sufficient to fill up the SS piano music niche in your library.

For some reason I'm weirdly intrigued by the idea of hearing his organ music.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on November 23, 2012, 08:43:07 PM
The regular CD (as opposed to SACD) of the Nezet-Seguin performance is in stock for $18 at ArkivMusic and can be downloaded via MP3 or FLAC for those interested.

That recording is too expensive, especially for a work that has been recorded many, many times. When it comes down to $6 or $7, I'll pick it up.

mc ukrneal

Actually, when you add in shipping, you will add $1-3, so it will be $19-21. Amazon have a used copy for $18.75 (includes shipping). MDT have it, and if it goes on sale, would probably get to the $14-15 range with shipping. I'd wait if a disc version is needed.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 24, 2012, 06:59:40 AM
That recording is too expensive, especially for a work that has been recorded many, many times. When it comes down to $6 or $7, I'll pick it up.

Sorry, I made a mistake in my post above. The Amazon link I posted was to the Hybrid SACD, which apparently is OOP.

The regular CD is still in print and much more economically priced. It's moved to the top of my wishlist.

[asin]B002YINO7W[/asin]

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on November 27, 2012, 05:57:15 PM
Sorry, I made a mistake in my post above. The Amazon link I posted was to the Hybrid SACD, which apparently is OOP.

The regular CD is still in print and much more economically priced. It's moved to the top of my wishlist.

[asin]B002YINO7W[/asin]

Oh, I see. I like this CD price much better. :)

kyjo

Due to recent discussion of the S-S PCs in another thread.....

The only recordings I own of the PCs are the fantastic ones by Roge/Dutoit on Decca. It's hard to beat both Roge and Dutoit in French repertoire and when you pair them up, you have true French greatness. :) But, there have been some other recordings of them which have received much acclaim:

How do members feel these recordings measure up to Roge/Dutoit (which, I, at the moment, couldn't imagine being bettered)? Thanks in advance. :)

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: kyjo on August 24, 2013, 04:32:22 PM

My favorite is the second concerto and for that I really enjoy El Bacha/Verrot. Sample if you can - it's worth it.

[asin]B0012DAC98[/asin]

Mirror Image

How do members feel these recordings measure up to Roge/Dutoit (which, I, at the moment, couldn't imagine being bettered)? Thanks in advance. :)

I own every set of Saint-Saens' PCs and my vote goes to Malikova/Sanderling. Such deeply felt performances. I do like Roge/Dutoit a lot as well but the Malikova is worth owning.

kyjo

Thanks, Dancing Divertimentian and John. :)

mc ukrneal

The only recordings I own of the PCs are the fantastic ones by Roge/Dutoit on Decca. It's hard to beat both Roge and Dutoit in French repertoire and when you pair them up, you have true French greatness. :) But, there have been some other recordings of them which have received much acclaim:

The AUdite version is very popular here. I still haven't rushed out to get it as I have two versions, but it sits in my wishlist nevertheless. I would NOT recommend the Hough on Hyperion. It's not because of the playing (which is fine), but because of the sound. I have nearly every one of that romantic piano series (excluding the most recent), and that is the only one where I find the sound very harsh. Collard also is popular. I think the Roge is a good one, so whatever you get, you have a good fall back position!

kyjo

Quote from: mc ukrneal on August 24, 2013, 08:23:19 PM
The AUdite version is very popular here. I still haven't rushed out to get it as I have two versions, but it sits in my wishlist nevertheless. I would NOT recommend the Hough on Hyperion. It's not because of the playing (which is fine), but because of the sound. I have nearly every one of that romantic piano series (excluding the most recent), and that is the only one where I find the sound very harsh. Collard also is popular. I think the Roge is a good one, so whatever you get, you have a good fall back position!

Thanks, mc ukrneal. :) I've put the Audite disc on my want list.

Sergeant Rock

I have these:

SANDERLING/MALIKOVA
FROMENT/TACCHINO
BAUDO/CICCOLINI
PREVIN/COLLARD
DUTOIT/ROGÉ

Malikova is my favorite; Rogé my least favorite (partly due to tempo: Malikova is marginally slower, which adds weight and seriousness when appropriate but never at the expense of the music's spirit). Overall I think very highly of Collard too but Previn screws up the tempo and rhythm of second movement's hymn theme in the Fourth Concerto. Since that's my single favorite moment, it's an unforgiveable sin.

We've discussed these concertos considerably in the past. I tried to find some of my discussion but failed, and I'm too lazy to put forth arguments now for my choices. I did find these amusing (and contentious) posts by mszczuj in the SS PC poll thread:

Quote from: mszczuj on April 19, 2012, 12:41:06 PM
Dutoit's Saint-Saens? This is abolutely the worst thing available on records.

Quote from: mszczuj on April 20, 2012, 01:51:20 PM
Well, may be I have exaggerated. In fact I can't say that Dutoit's Concerto No.4 is worse than his Danse macabre.

No emotions, no fantasy, no l'esprit. Listening to Dutoit's Saint-Saens is for me as fascinating as counting pickets in a mile long fence.

I don't dislike the Dutoit cycle quite that much...but it is last I'd save in a fire  :D  But you aren't alone in loving Rogé. It's well thought of.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

kyjo

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 25, 2013, 08:27:45 AM
I have these:

SANDERLING/MALIKOVA
FROMENT/TACCHINO
BAUDO/CICCOLINI
PREVIN/COLLARD
DUTOIT/ROGÉ

Malikova is my favorite; Rogé my least favorite (partly due to tempo: Malikova is marginally slower, which adds weight and seriousness when appropriate but never at the expense of the music's spirit). Overall I think very highly of Collard too but Previn screws up the tempo and rhythm of second movement's hymn theme in the Fourth Concerto. Since that's my single favorite moment, it's an unforgiveable sin.

We've discussed these concertos considerably in the past. I tried to find some of my discussion but failed, and I'm too lazy to put forth arguments now for my choices. I did find these amusing (and contentious) posts by mszczuj in the SS PC poll thread:

I don't dislike the Dutoit cycle quite that much...but it is last I'd save in a fire  :D  But you aren't alone in loving Rogé. It's well thought of.

Sarge

Thanks for the extensive reply, Sarge. The way you describe Malikova's performances sound quite promising. These concertos need to be played with enough weight and seriousness to prevent them from hinting at any triteness.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 25, 2013, 08:27:45 AM
We've discussed these concertos considerably in the past. I tried to find some of my discussion but failed, and I'm too lazy to put forth arguments now for my choices.
How about:
http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,9.msg340117/topicseen.html#msg340117

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Mirror Image

Thought I'd knock some dust off the SS thread...

Cross-posted from the 'Purchases' thread -

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 27, 2014, 06:39:07 PM
A little Saint-Saens concerti splurge:

Anyone know any of these recordings? I've done some extensive sampling of them all and they all sound first-rate. Can't wait to sink my teeth back into the concertante works.