Camille Saint-Saëns

Started by BachQ, April 12, 2007, 05:11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 27, 2014, 06:59:52 PM
Thought I'd knock some dust off the SS thread...

Cross-posted from the 'Purchases' thread -

Anyone know any of these recordings? I've done some extensive sampling of them all and they all sound first-rate. Can't wait to sink my teeth back into the concertante works.
I have the Ulf Hoelscher recordings from the Newton box (Violin Concertos) - outstanding (though I have never compared them to others).
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Mirror Image

Quote from: mc ukrneal on March 27, 2014, 08:31:55 PM
I have the Ulf Hoelscher recordings from the Newton box (Violin Concertos) - outstanding (though I have never compared them to others).

Good to hear, Neal. I believe Sarge mentioned he liked the Ciccolini/Baudo cycle of PCs, though I'd like to hear some input from him too! :)

Octave

I got those Hoelscher recordings in the little Brilliant box with Martinon's symphonies and Tacchino's piano concertos, and I liked them very much.  I think my only point of comparison [vln ctos] is the Graffin recording on Hyperion....nope, it's still in the shrinkwrap.   :-[

I am keen to check out more chamber music: namely the piano trios (most likely either Wanderer or Florestan) and the woodwind sonatas (no idea...maybe a Naxos disc just to hear a bunch of them), next.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Octave on March 28, 2014, 01:07:31 AM
I got those Hoelscher recordings in the little Brilliant box with Martinon's symphonies and Tacchino's piano concertos, and I liked them very much.  I think my only point of comparison [vln ctos] is the Graffin recording on Hyperion....nope, it's still in the shrinkwrap.   :-[

I am keen to check out more chamber music: namely the piano trios (most likely either Wanderer or Florestan) and the woodwind sonatas (no idea...maybe a Naxos disc just to hear a bunch of them), next.
For the sonatas and some other wonderful chamber works, highly recommend this double disc, which used to be at Berkshire:
[asin]B00095L8X4[/asin]

Octave

Thanks for that recommendation, Neal.  One recent recommendation (not someone I know, just someone online) spoke highly of a recent Piano Quintet/Quartet with Cristina Ortiz (Naxos), going so far as to say that by comparison the Nash's recordings were 'dull'.  Do you happen to know that Naxos recording? 
However, I am not assuming the Nash's S-S is anything like 'dull'!

Another piece that I'd like to explore is the REQUIEM; I received a recommendation for the classic Mercier, but if there is a more recent recording that equals or exceeds it, that would be interesting.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 27, 2014, 08:56:02 PM
Good to hear, Neal. I believe Sarge mentioned he liked the Ciccolini/Baudo cycle of PCs, though I'd like to hear some input from him too! :)

Yeah, it's one of my favorite S-S PC sets (100% French forces  8) ) with a particularly impressive C minor--just prepare yourself for an incredibly slow Allegro (after the second movement's Andante). They give that hymn-like theme some slow motion lovin'  :D

The only thing keeping it from being the absolute favorite set is the sound: it's decent analogue but the piano is balanced a little too forward for my taste, occasionally burying orchestral detail.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Mirror Image

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 28, 2014, 06:45:31 AM

Yeah, it's one of my favorite S-S PC sets (100% French forces  8) ) with a particularly impressive C minor--just prepare yourself for an incredibly slow Allegro (after the second movement's Andante). They give that hymn-like theme some slow motion lovin'  :D

The only thing keeping it from being the absolute favorite set is the sound: it's decent analogue but the piano is balanced a little too forward for my taste, occasionally burying orchestral detail.

Sarge

Thanks for the feedback, Sarge.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Octave on March 28, 2014, 05:38:47 AM
Thanks for that recommendation, Neal.  One recent recommendation (not someone I know, just someone online) spoke highly of a recent Piano Quintet/Quartet with Cristina Ortiz (Naxos), going so far as to say that by comparison the Nash's recordings were 'dull'.  Do you happen to know that Naxos recording? 
However, I am not assuming the Nash's S-S is anything like 'dull'!

Another piece that I'd like to explore is the REQUIEM; I received a recommendation for the classic Mercier, but if there is a more recent recording that equals or exceeds it, that would be interesting.
I don't have anything to compare it to - sorry. But I do have the Requiem on Chandos (Fasolis). I seem to recall liking it, but I will try to get back to you and let you know.

Mirror Image

It seems to be almost unanimous with all the Saint-Saens reviews I've read that the Mercier recording of the Requiem is the one to own and interestingly enough someone uploaded this performance on YT for all ears to hear. I've already heard the performance years ago and loved it, but I can't believe I waited until this morning to buy it. I suppose my mind was a bit preoccupied with the forty something other composers I love. ;) ;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: Octave on March 28, 2014, 01:07:31 AM

Yeah, I can't say I've had much exposure to the VCs other than a Chung recording I had bought a year or so ago, but I've been meaning to get around to giving them a listen again, which prompted me to make those purchases. Good to hear about Hoelscher. I've read many good things about his performances.

I, too, have been wondering about SS's chamber music and where to go. It seems those Hyperion recordings seem to be praised pretty highly. But something is nagging away in my mind to check out the Trio Wanderer's recording of the Piano Trios instead of the Florestan's. I don't know why exactly. In fact, I've been looking at a Harmonia Mundi recording of the Cello Sonata with Emmanuelle Bertrand that looks mighty tempting, but for some strange reason this recording seems like it's hard to get ahold of. I'm also looking at getting the Violin Sonatas disc on Hyperion, but, again, a nagging feeling inside of me tells me to avoid it. Again, don't know why.

Octave

Um, so apparently I already own the Nash Ensemble recording.   :-[
I was remembering a non-hardcopy sampling but didn't remember the purchase.  #FirstWorldProblems
Thanks for the recommendation, Neal.  It looks like that 2cd (Hyperion) includes all the wind pieces as the single Naxos disc [Canada's National Arts Centre Quintet +], with the exception of the Romance in E major, Op. 67 [arranged for piano/horn], which is only on the Naxos disc.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Octave on March 29, 2014, 12:03:23 AM
Um, so apparently I already own the Nash Ensemble recording.   :-[
I was remembering a non-hardcopy sampling but didn't remember the purchase.  #FirstWorldProblems
Thanks for the recommendation, Neal.  It looks like that 2cd (Hyperion) includes all the wind pieces as the single Naxos disc [Canada's National Arts Centre Quintet +], with the exception of the Romance in E major, Op. 67 [arranged for piano/horn], which is only on the Naxos disc.
Well, there's your excuse to get that one too! And let us know... :)

Mirror Image

Frustrating that I can't find the Bertrand recording of the Cello Sonatas for a good price. Agh!!!!

Jaakko Keskinen

3rd violin concerto is really something. I like its light instrumentation, kind of reminds me in some way of Bach's VCs.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Karl Henning

Quote from: Alberich on July 08, 2015, 07:27:59 AM
3rd violin concerto is really something. I like its light instrumentation, kind of reminds me in some way of Bach's VCs.

Charming and perfectly wrought.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

71 dB

Yesterday I heard Saint-Saëns' Violin Sonata No. 2 for the first time. Great work! I especially love the third movement.  0:)

[asin]B00E3ISIJ0[/asin]
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: 71 dB on January 19, 2016, 07:57:19 AM
Yesterday I heard Saint-Saëns' Violin Sonata No. 2 for the first time. Great work! I especially love the third movement.  0:)

[asin]B00E3ISIJ0[/asin]

Yes, the second VS is great! I don't have the Naxos but the recording I do have I like.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Scion7

oh, yes - very nice piece

very little of Saint-Saens' instrumental work is less than excellent - good composer!
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Jaakko Keskinen

Listening to Piano Concerto no. 3. Awesome.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Jaakko Keskinen

Discovering new works. The first movement of PC 1 is breathtaking.

- Victor Hugo