Il Grotto Suono di Ghedini

Started by snyprrr, June 26, 2013, 01:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

I see no Ghedini Thread.

Ghedini lurks between Dallapiccola/Petrassi and Malipiero as an almost hidden name in mid-century Composers. Is he wild?;is he conservative? Who knows?

To my ears, Ghedini went the Bach-Stravinsky route. I have the Stradivarius disc of Chamber Music, which relates most to Malipiero, but I haven't heard the famous Violin Concerto yet.

Naxos has begun a series of Ghedini discs, including a new Orchestral disc featuring a Concerto for Orchestra (including the Complete Piano Music)! There are also quite a few options for other Concertos.

I was looking for another spiky mid-century Composer...

7/4

Thread title of the month award...maybe even the year.

Karl Henning

Nice to see you've eased back on the soy lecithin!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

david johnson

hear ye all:  the ghedini days are upon us

snyprrr

Quote from: david johnson on June 27, 2013, 12:26:42 AM
hear ye all:  the ghedini days are upon us

Yes, Ghedini is starting to get some attention!

Quote from: 7/4 on June 26, 2013, 06:00:41 PM
Thread title of the month award...maybe even the year.

Is that a caaash award?!?! ??? :P I do insist on wittyThread Titles here, I think it's the house rules, but not many are up to the challenge (I refer you to the Roussel Threads, haha).

A Fracas with Xenakis!

How bout Grieg? I'm sure the Grieg Thread Title could use a...

snyprrr

JUST IN CASE someone missed the GHEDINI THREAD!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to need one of you to go ahead and take the plunge, mkay??? Report back!!!

pjme

Ghedini is quite an original. Keep us informed about the Naxos cd's !

http://youtu.be/sPvMEOz4wXI

Marinaresca e bacchanale shows him as a virtuoso orchestrator but there's a lot of religious music that is simply radiant.

De Sabata did Marinaresca with the NY Phil!

And this is totally lovely ( no spikes however): Musica concertante for cello and strings (1962).

http://youtu.be/M8V-JmmneaU

Guido Cantelli did the Partita per orchestra with the NBC orchestra.

http://youtu.be/OdnU4Az5BXU

P.

snyprrr

The Concerto dell'Albatro starts in the most imposingly beautiful way, a kind of Bachian thing? It's on YT. Very nice. I think it's a Concerto for Piano Trio (with Orchestra) and reciter (Moby Dick I think).

Sean

Listening to the Double cello concerto Mahler is the main influence, the slow movement of the Fifth symphony redolent in the third movement and the opening of the First elsewhere; the work begins a little like the Elgar concerto then sounds like the Prokofiev Second Violin concerto, etc etc.

There's a brooding voice here and it's all relatively unusual but I see it as one more dead end I'm afraid.

snyprrr

Quote from: Sean on July 08, 2013, 05:16:46 AM

Listening to the Double cello concerto Mahler is the main influence, the slow movement of the Fifth symphony redolent in the third movement and the opening of the First elsewhere; the work begins a little like the Elgar concerto then sounds like the Prokofiev Second Violin concerto, etc etc.

There's a brooding voice here and it's all relatively unusual but I see it as one more dead end I'm afraid.

In that case, I'm buyin'!!

snyprrr

That Stradivarius disc with the Concerti! Most Sunny!

snyprrr

Quote from: snyprrr on March 22, 2014, 11:05:41 AM
That Stradivarius disc with the Concerti! Most Sunny!

Ghedini's music is so... clean! I do like clean Neo-Classicism.

Mirror Image

Quote from: snyprrr on March 25, 2014, 08:26:12 AM
Ghedini's music is so... clean! I do like clean Neo-Classicism.

Yes, but did he wax the music? It can't shine without being buffed out. :P

snyprrr

Actually, Karl, have you seen this new Ghedini Naxos disc, with a piece called 'Arcchitetture'(sic)? :Listen to the samples- talk about some super cool Neo-Classicism, very Stravinsky Orpheus/Apollo- but so clean! This was an instant like.

springrite

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 25, 2014, 05:01:17 PM
Yes, but did he wax the music? It can't shine without being buffed out. :P

That is the very definition of Neo-classical. Classical is the core, and NEO is the buffing part, and the composer does the buffing.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

snyprrr

Quote from: springrite on March 26, 2014, 11:55:57 AM
That is the very definition of Neo-classical. Classical is the core, and NEO is the buffing part, and the composer does the buffing.

Hence the Rolls commercial! ;)

Mirror Image

Quote from: springrite on March 26, 2014, 11:55:57 AM

I see. :)

springrite

I don't think I'd want to see him in a bikini.

If he composes a violin concerto and Hilary Hahn records it, I wouldn't mind the violinist in a bikini, though!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Mirror Image

Quote from: springrite on March 26, 2014, 04:53:21 PM
I don't think I'd want to see him in a bikini.

If he composes a violin concerto and Hilary Hahn records it, I wouldn't mind the violinist in a bikini, though!

:P

Hilary Hahn in a bikini...HELL YES!!!

Ghedini in a bikini...HELL NO!!!!

:D

snyprrr

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 26, 2014, 05:06:01 PM
:P

Hilary Hahn in a bikini...HELL YES!!!

Ghedini in a bikini...HELL NO!!!!

:D

I'm SURE you'd like that new Naxos disc. Try dem samples!