Henryk Mikolaj Gorecki (1933-2010)

Started by Maciek, April 13, 2007, 03:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

Both are good, but out of the two I prefer Wit.  Kilanowicz really delivers in the second and third movements better than Upshaw, while I feel that Upshaw really has it in the first movement.  So it should complement the Upshaw recording you have.

But my favorite recording is...

Brahmsian

Quote from: DavidW on February 16, 2023, 01:16:44 PMBoth are good, but out of the two I prefer Wit.  Kilanowicz really delivers in the second and third movements better than Upshaw, while I feel that Upshaw really has it in the first movement.  So it should complement the Upshaw recording you have.

But my favorite recording is...

I had seen a YouTube video of Kilanowicz and Wit for a live performance (has since been removed due to copyright issues, at least the complete performance) and it was absolutely spellbinding! In particular, Kilanowicz in the second movement.

Have not seen this one, David (your favourite performance).

Cato

Quote from: OrchestralNut on February 16, 2023, 01:20:23 PMI had seen a YouTube video of Kilanowicz and Wit for a live performance (has since been removed due to copyright issues, at least the complete performance) and it was absolutely spellbinding! In particular, Kilanowicz in the second movement.

Have not seen this one, David (your favourite performance).

Gorecki's Symphony #3!  Dawn Upshaw's performance in the early 1990's after the fall of Communism somehow took off, when Classical radio stations began to feature it.

I think that, because Dawn Upshaw was so well known, her performance brought the work to prominence.

Gorecki was known to me as a member of what might be called "The Polish School" of the 1950's and 1960's: Epitaph was probably his most famous work.  I heard Canticum Graduum, which seemed also to be in the Ligeti/Penderecki style of that period.

The Symphony #3 back then seemed to combine Minimalism with a kind of Neo-Medievalism, Glass meets Pärt, so to speak.

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

DavidW

Quote from: OrchestralNut on February 16, 2023, 01:20:23 PMHave not seen this one, David (your favourite performance).

That is the world premiere recording before it was remotely popular.  I've also heard the symphony live from the local orchestra, and I recall having a cough at the time so I held in my cough for the entire symphony! :o

Brahmsian

Just listening to the 1st and 2nd string quartets (Kronos) for the first time. I am absolutely floored! I am enjoying this immensely.

George

What do folks think of Kronos vs Tippett in the quartets? I own neither and would like to buy just one.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Brahmsian

Quote from: George on March 07, 2023, 05:23:08 PMWhat do folks think of Kronos vs Tippett in the quartets? I own neither and would like to buy just one.

Can't comment on the Tippett George because I haven't heard them. But I thoroughly enjoy the Kronos!

vers la flamme

Quote from: OrchestralNut on February 16, 2023, 12:48:21 PMThese two, ordered from Presto.  Not sure the exact delivery date.  Looking forward to these as a comparison to the Zinman/Upshaw (which I adore):

That Gibbons/Penderecki is a stunning performance, with the caveat that she is amplified which is a turn off for some; plus, the overall tempi are fast to accommodate for her different vocal style as compared to your traditional classical vocalist. Disclaimer: I'm a huge Portishead fan. However, if you don't like it, the Antoni Wit set contains another phenomenal Górecki 3rd. I have both of those plus the classic Zinman/Dawn Upshaw/London Sinfonietta on Nonesuch and I can't decide which is my favorite.

Brahmsian

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 08, 2023, 03:56:04 AMThat Gibbons/Penderecki is a stunning performance, with the caveat that she is amplified which is a turn off for some; plus, the overall tempi are fast to accommodate for her different vocal style as compared to your traditional classical vocalist. Disclaimer: I'm a huge Portishead fan. However, if you don't like it, the Antoni Wit set contains another phenomenal Górecki 3rd. I have both of those plus the classic Zinman/Dawn Upshaw/London Sinfonietta on Nonesuch and I can't decide which is my favorite.

I've heard Kilanowicz on a YouTube performance couple years back, live in a church and it was such an overwhelming, inspiring performance. It has since been removed from YouTube although shorter snippets remain.

And I love Dawn Upshaw's voice, so it will always be one of my faves.

Really do look forward to the Gibbons/Penderecki performance!