The Kokkonen Borealis

Started by snyprrr, July 01, 2013, 10:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

I have been enjoying Symphonies 3-4, 3 being the darker, 4 the Final Masterpiece. Most like 4 better, but I like 3 very much too. Also, the Cello Concerto is one of the very best of the mid-century vehicles, with lots of busy mystery and hot house flower garden perfumes- it may not be Szymanowski per se, but it has a heady, yet clean whiff about it. Durch einem Spiegel, for harpsichord and strings, is also quite powerful, dark and compelling.

All mature Kokkonen will satisfy that Nordic impulse, there's no need waffling over Kokkonen. He delivers Sibelius+Hindemith like no one else.

vandermolen

Quote from: snyprrr on January 17, 2015, 10:16:45 PM
I have been enjoying Symphonies 3-4, 3 being the darker, 4 the Final Masterpiece. Most like 4 better, but I like 3 very much too. Also, the Cello Concerto is one of the very best of the mid-century vehicles, with lots of busy mystery and hot house flower garden perfumes- it may not be Szymanowski per se, but it has a heady, yet clean whiff about it. Durch einem Spiegel, for harpsichord and strings, is also quite powerful, dark and compelling.

All mature Kokkonen will satisfy that Nordic impulse, there's no need waffling over Kokkonen. He delivers Sibelius+Hindemith like no one else.

Must listen to 3 again. Thanks for the recommendation. A while since I've listened to Kokkonen as have been focused a bit of Nordgren recently.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

snyprrr

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Kokkonen is brilliant. Sometimes I like his music more than Rautavaara's, sometimes I like Rautavaara's more............but he's got the best requiem of the two composers by far.

vandermolen

Been listening to Symphony 4 (1971) - a terrific, searching and eloquent score and IMHO Kokkonen's masterpiece. As the booklet note says by the time he composed this 'compared with the twelve-tone period represented by the First Symphony [which I also like], Kokkonen's range of sororities had softened and mellowed'. I believe that Kokkonen was a composer of great uncompromising integrity. I especially have grown to like works of a more 'demanding' type (for me anyway) which do not lose sight of the human contact with their audience - from an emotional as well as intellectual level. Norgard's and Blomdahl's First symphonies also come into this category as far as I'm concerned. Kokkonen is a composer whose music I initially did not relate to but have found increasingly rewarding. There is a gritty integrity about Symphony No.4 and I find the resolution both eloquent and moving:
[asin]B00000378R[/asin]
Great title to this thread from snyprrr by the way!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

ComposerOfAvantGarde

'...durch einem Spiegel' is currently my favourite of his works

vandermolen

Quote from: jessop on September 07, 2016, 02:09:41 PM
'...durch einem Spiegel' is currently my favourite of his works
Oh, it's on the same CD! Will listen after Symphony 4 finishes for the third time this evening!

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Haha, enjoy! I had the pleasure of seeing it live conducted by Olli Mustonen in 2014. My first introduction to the music of Kokkonen.

vandermolen

Lucky you! It's a fine, unusual work and my attention was gripped throughout. The whole CD is an excellent introduction to Kokkonen.

snyprrr

Quote from: vandermolen on September 07, 2016, 02:36:26 PM
Lucky you! It's a fine, unusual work and my attention was gripped throughout. The whole CD is an excellent introduction to Kokkonen.

excellent!!

so surprised to see Kokkonen at the top... good for you van...

You could get the OTHER Ondine Symphonies, with Oramo, or get the nice set from BIS.

Yes, No.4 is so very good. I'm sure it's my fav post-Sibelius type work. And the Cello Concerto...

BUT, THERE'S NOT MUCH :(

vandermolen

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on September 07, 2016, 04:28:54 PM
Never heard of this guy, I'm listening to #4 right now!  :)

Let us know what you think of it.

vandermolen

Quote from: snyprrr on September 07, 2016, 03:45:54 PM
excellent!!

so surprised to see Kokkonen at the top... good for you van...

You could get the OTHER Ondine Symphonies, with Oramo, or get the nice set from BIS.

Yes, No.4 is so very good. I'm sure it's my fav post-Sibelius type work. And the Cello Concerto...

BUT, THERE'S NOT MUCH :(

I have several CDs of Kokkonen's music including, I think, three versions of Symphony 4. I'm appreciating the other symphonies too, especially No.1 at the moment. I agree with you about the importance of Symphony 4.
:)

vandermolen

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on September 07, 2016, 10:22:58 PM
I'm listening to it for a second time, I'm really enjoying it.
The symphony disperses a variety of moods very effectively and dynamically. It gets really intense in areas and beautiful in others.
This is great, thanks to snyprrr!  ;D
Delighted to hear that you enjoy it - it is a great work.

vandermolen

Quote from: vandermolen on September 07, 2016, 02:04:05 PM
Been listening to Symphony 4 (1971) - a terrific, searching and eloquent score and IMHO Kokkonen's masterpiece. As the booklet note says by the time he composed this 'compared with the twelve-tone period represented by the First Symphony [which I also like], Kokkonen's range of sororities had softened and mellowed'. I believe that Kokkonen was a composer of great uncompromising integrity. I especially have grown to like works of a more 'demanding' type (for me anyway) which do not lose sight of the human contact with their audience - from an emotional as well as intellectual level. Norgard's and Blomdahl's First symphonies also come into this category as far as I'm concerned. Kokkonen is a composer whose music I initially did not relate to but have found increasingly rewarding. There is a gritty integrity about Symphony No.4 and I find the resolution both eloquent and moving:
[asin]B00000378R[/asin]
Great title to this thread from snyprrr by the way!
Kokkonen is another one of those composers who 'look like' their music.  8)

vandermolen

Time for me to continue this interesting conversation (monologue) with myself  8)

I hadn't listened to any Kokkonen for a while but today I reaquainted myself with Symphony 4. I love its searching and visionary ending and the gritty and uncompromising nature of the work. He strikes me as a composer of great integrity. For me this is 'modern music' at its best.
[asin]B000XQ3BJI[/asin]

I realise that I've repeated some of my earlier post but at least I'm consistent in my admiration. ;D

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on October 10, 2018, 09:50:28 AM
Time for me to continue this interesting conversation (monologue) with myself  8)
It is, twice.  ;D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

I found this in my collection

[asin]B0000252WB[/asin]

vandermolen

OMG!  :o
Some responses from members other than myself - thank you. You are my heroes.
Baron Scarpia (Ghost of) I'd be interested to hear your views of that Finlandia CD, especially Symphony 4 (if it's included in the set).
:)

Christo

The Third is included, not the Fourth:
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on October 10, 2018, 11:12:16 AM
The Third is included, not the Fourth:

Oh thanks Johan  :)
I like No.3 but 4 remains my favourite.