How much classical music do you have in your library?

Started by deafeninglysilent_1.61..., July 21, 2013, 11:23:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How much classical music do you have in your music library?

less than 3 hours
3-7 hours
8-12 hours
13-18 hours
19-23 hours
1-3 days
4-7 days
1.5 weeks
2 weeks
2.5 weeks
3 weeks
4 weeks
5 weeks
6 weeks
7-8 weeks
9-11 weeks
12-15 weeks
.......quite a bit of music!

deafeninglysilent_1.61...

Bonus question: Which composer do you have the most music of?
avatar photo of Stockhausen from Inori lecture taken by Kathinka Pasveer in 2005

"All sounds can make meaningful language." - Karlheinz Stockhausen

71 dB

About 900 CDs. That's about 900 hours = 5-6 weeks.

Most music by Mozart, about 200 CDs worth. Then J.S.Bach (~150) and Elgar (~100).
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Todd

About 5000 discs, so probably around 30 weeks.  Beethoven accounts for perhaps 700-800 discs.  I stopped keeping accurate count last decade.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

North Star

Around 10 weeks' worth. Beethoven & Bach, around ½ weeks of both. I don't think the options below 3 weeks are going to get many votes.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

The new erato

Quote from: Todd on July 21, 2013, 12:40:10 PM
About 5000 discs, so probably around 30 weeks.  Beethoven accounts for perhaps 700-800 discs.  I stopped keeping accurate count last decade.
So did I. Safest that way. But I count (or estimate) CDs in meters of shelf space and arrive at an estimate of the unfortunate truth that way. Beethoven, Handel and Haydn are next up after Bach (around 300 discs) I guess.

Brian

On my old computer, I believe my iTunes library accused me of having around 6 weeks of music. And this was excluding CDs I never added to my computer's hard drive. So... a lot.

Karl Henning

Not sure, exactly.  Vewwy woughly, I think near a year's worth.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Sergeant Rock

Counting CDs, LPs and cassettes about 500 days worth or 71.5 weeks.

Quote from: deafeninglysilent_1.61... on July 21, 2013, 11:23:17 AM
Bonus question: Which composer do you have the most music of?

Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and Mahler

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: karlhenning on July 22, 2013, 02:08:05 AM
We're working on the Henning.

If only you'd been hired by a prince to compose fulltime, like Haydn, or started to compose while you were still in diapers, like Mozart, I'm sure I'd have as much Henning as I do those two Enlightenment dudes. Alas, we live in a different time.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Opus106

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 22, 2013, 03:30:07 AM
If only you'd been hired by a prince to compose fulltime, like Haydn, or started to compose while you were still in diapers, like Mozart, I'm sure I'd have as much Henning as I do those two Enlightenment dudes. Alas, we live in a different time.

Sarge

Not Haydn. Recording and music reproduction rights would have been with Prince of the Commonwealth, per the contract. No website, no Sound Cloud, no Headquarters (How dare you have your own place on the interwebs, Herr Henning?).
Regards,
Navneeth

Papy Oli

Just gone past the 1500 CDs recently, so roughly around 9 weeks then...  Main one is Mahler (around 120-150 CDS on top of my head) if I don't count the Bach Brilliant Box (155).

Was talking complete and utter b@ll@cks... that's just gone past 1300 CDs "only", so around 7-8 weeks worth. On the other hand, Mahler is nearly 250 CDs  0:) ... what was I thinking !!  :laugh:
Olivier

springrite

3000+ CDs, which makes for 18 weeks of music listening pleasure if I do not sleep for the entire duration.

My guess is I may have Bach the most.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

SonicMan46

Well, I just updated my classical database after over 2 years and now have over 4000 CDs - about 24 weeks worth - composers w/ the most discs in my collection would be Bach first and Haydn second - own no LPs or cassettes - Dave :)

kishnevi

Quote from: springrite on July 22, 2013, 06:03:41 AM
3000+ CDs, which makes for 18 weeks of music listening pleasure if I do not sleep for the entire duration.

My guess is I may have Bach the most.

Roughly the same for me (although I may actually be only approaching the 3000 mark, not past it).  Bach and Beethoven lap everyone else--Mahler, Mozart, Haydn, Vivaldi, Shostakovich would probably be the main players in the second pack.

dyn

2859 albums, 97 days, 214.78 GB according to itunes (note that i've opted to define multiple discs as part of the same "album", and not every "album" is a CD that has physically passed through my hands although most of them are)

the top 5 are apparently beethoven (42), bach (35), stockhausen (32), mozart (32) and cage (30) although for sheer volume of tracks the complete symphonies of haydn, counted as one album, are probably up there as well

classicalgeek

At the moment, 734 days, 11 hours, 40 minutes, 36 seconds.

This includes roughly 53 days of Beethoven, 40 days of Mozart, 38 days of J.S. Bach, and 26 days each of Mahler and Haydn.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Quote from: North Star on July 21, 2013, 12:44:24 PM
Around 10 weeks' worth. Beethoven & Bach, around ½ weeks of both. I don't think the options below 3 weeks are going to get many votes.

I put them there just in case!  8)
avatar photo of Stockhausen from Inori lecture taken by Kathinka Pasveer in 2005

Quote from: Papy Oli on July 22, 2013, 05:55:14 AM
Just gone past the 1500 CDs recently, so roughly around 9 weeks then...  Main one is Mahler (around 120-150 CDS on top of my head) if I don't count the Bach Brilliant Box (155).

Was talking complete and utter b@ll@cks... that's just gone past 1300 CDs "only", so around 7-8 weeks worth. On the other hand, Mahler is nearly 250 CDs  0:) ... what was I thinking !!  :laugh:

I'm considering the Bach Brilliant Box; would you recommend it? I believe that Brilliant Classics has several editions; the one I'm thinking about purchasing is the one here: http://www.amazon.com/Bach-Complete-Edition-Johann-Sebastian/dp/B0040T7CFS .