Stereotypical Scales

Started by snyprrr, June 10, 2013, 08:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

American Indian, Chinese = Pentatonic (Chinese, lots of 'sliding')

African = C Major

Tyrolian (Alpine)=

Egyptian, Middle Eastern = C, C#, E, F, G#, A, B

Italian = D minor (haha)

Irish =

Mexican, Spanish = A minor (with an emphasis on the E/F in the bass), C Major

Greek - the intervals of a 4th and a 5th

I know this is coming straight out of the Hollywood Manual, but, there must be something behind it? What do you think about the differences in indigenous musics? I'm not trying to be offensive. :)

Rons_talking

C,C#,E,F,G#, A# is a common Greek scale. The (014) sound is key...the augmented 2nd.
Also, use of the Lydian mode in a bouncy manner seems to me the comedy/romance sound of preference (think Jetsons, any Meg Ryan romance) My dad did scored ads, TV and a little film back in the day, so I'd often hear him plunking out these scales. Former studio guitar great, Tommy Tedesco used to do hilarious improvs changing nationalities as he played on..

snyprrr

Quote from: Rons_talking on June 28, 2013, 03:43:26 PM
C,C#,E,F,G#, A# is a common Greek scale. The (014) sound is key...the augmented 2nd.
Also, use of the Lydian mode in a bouncy manner seems to me the comedy/romance sound of preference (think Jetsons, any Meg Ryan romance) My dad did scored ads, TV and a little film back in the day, so I'd often hear him plunking out these scales. Former studio guitar great, Tommy Tedesco used to do hilarious improvs changing nationalities as he played on..

I remember Tedesco switching on a dime! I'd like a good album of TV Guitar.

thanks for your post!!