L' Salle Pleyel

Started by snyprrr, June 25, 2009, 11:10:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spineur

Most of you are referring to the composer Ignace Pleyel.  Pleyel is also the name of a piano manufacturer who sponsored the construction of a concert Hall (La salle Pleyel) which could host symphonic concerts.  Since its opening in 1927, this concert Hall was almost exclusively dedicated to classical music and was quite successful, although a number of renovation had to be done over the years.
Recently, there has been an uproar against a project to sell this iconic place to a private group (Fimalac) with the injunction to forbid the performance of any form of classical music.  This is because a new place (La philarmonie) has opened.  Because it is not as centrally located, politicians were concerned that "La Salle Pleyel" would be an unwanted competition to their political project of "La philarmonie".  This is presently challenged in courts.  It will be interesting to see what happens in the future with a conservative government.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Spineur on February 26, 2016, 04:27:29 AM
Most of you are referring to the composer Ignace Pleyel.  Pleyel is also the name of a piano manufacturer who sponsored the construction of a concert Hall (La salle Pleyel) which could host symphonic concerts.  Since its opening in 1927, this concert Hall was almost exclusively dedicated to classical music and was quite successful, although a number of renovation had to be done over the years...................

Hello, not sure if you are implying that there were different people name PleyelIgnaz Pleyel (also first named spelled Ignace) (1757-1831) was a musician, composer, music publisher, and piano producer - his piano company built the original Salle Pleyel, and the same company replaced the hall in 1927 - below just a few quotes w/ the sources given.  Dave :)

QuoteThe piano firm Pleyel et Cie was founded by Ignace Pleyel and continued by Pleyel's son Camille (1788–1855), a piano virtuoso who became his father's business partner as of 1815. The firm provided pianos used by Frédéric Chopin, and also ran a concert hall, the Salle Pleyel, in which Chopin performed his first—and also his last—Paris concerts. Source

QuoteA replacement 3,000-seat hall was commissioned in 1927[3] by piano manufacturer Pleyel et Cie and designed by Gustave Lion. Source

QuotePleyel et Cie ("Pleyel and Company") was a French piano manufacturing firm founded by the composer Ignace Pleyel in 1807. Source

Spineur

The piano manufacture was really developped by Camille the son of the composer.  (Ignace Pleyel died in 1831).  It is Camille who sponsored the concert Hall "Salle Pleyel" opened in 1927.
Anyway, the issue I raised is what is left of the Pleyel name ?
The composition of Ignace Pleyel are so rarely performed today.  The piano manfacture developped by his family is now defunct
http://www.lemonde.fr/emploi/article/2013/11/12/fermeture-annoncee-de-la-manufacture-de-pianos-pleyel_3512401_1698637.html
So the only thing really left is the concert Hall.  This is why many people want to see it continuing as one of the flagship of classical music.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Spineur on February 26, 2016, 11:09:05 AM
The piano manufacture was really developped by Camille the son of the composer.  (Ignace Pleyel died in 1831).  It is Camille who sponsored the concert Hall "Salle Pleyel" opened in 1927.
Anyway, the issue I raised is what is left of the Pleyel name ?
The composition of Ignace Pleyel are so rarely performed today.  The piano manfacture developped by his family is now defunct
http://www.lemonde.fr/emploi/article/2013/11/12/fermeture-annoncee-de-la-manufacture-de-pianos-pleyel_3512401_1698637.html
So the only thing really left is the concert Hall.  This is why many people want to see it continuing as one of the flagship of classical music.

Good points and thanks for noting my date error - corrected to 1831.  Dave :)

SonicMan46

Well, back to the top after nearly 3 years - the quote below is a post I made nearly 4 years ago, I just added 2 more volumes of Pleyel's Prussian Quartets, Nos. 1-9 performed by the period instrument group Pleyel Quartett Köln, and now have all 3 CDs - as mentioned below Jerry Dubins left a rather scathing assessment of this group, mainly criticizing the period instrument performances - I've attached his review along others which are much more laudable; back in early 2015 a number of members 'chimed in' w/ their thoughts, so take a look if interested.  Although certainly not 'on par' w/ Haydn & Mozart in string writing, I find these works quite enjoyable and would have to agree w/ the more positive comments in the attached reviews.  Dave :)

QuoteBack to the top for comments on the ongoing series below - has been a while!  :laugh:

Pleyel Quartett Köln from 2008-2014 has released the 3 CDs below of Pleyel's Prussian Quartets - Snyprrr back in 2009 seem to think that the third set below was second rate, and the reviews have been mixed - e.g. a positive MusicWeb review of Nos. 4-6 HERE; however, a scathing review of Nos. 7-9 by Jerry Dubins (attached) - are they really that bad!   ::)   Curious  - any comments from those who may own and/or have heard these works.  Thanks - Dave :)

SonicMan46

Yet again, TTT!  :laugh:  In the last few days, I've been listening to my Pleyel collection (about 18 CDs), 8 being String Quartets & Quintets, which I decided to spin today - I've been leaving posts in the 'listening thread' but decided to repost here - some new info added, plus the attachments contain a LOT of reviews for those who like that approach.  Now listening to the last 3 discs and will do an upcoming post or two here.  Dave :)

QuotePleyel, Ignaz (1757-1831) - Prussian String Quartets (B.331-339) w/ Pleyel Quartetto Köln on period instruments and gut strings.  Pleyel wrote about 70 String Quartets w/ Benton numbers (Source), although others state a somewhat smaller quantity (at least 50+).  The name derives from their dedication to Frederick Wilhelm II, successor of Frederick the Great in 1787; of course, Haydn and Mozart had their own Prussian Quartets, but Pleyel wrote a total of 12, 9 of which are performed in the recordings below.  About a half dozen reviews are attached virtually all quite positive and laudatory except the sole one by Jerry Dubins who seemed to have hated the recording w/ Nos. 7-9, raking the performers and instruments 'over the coals'; I think he woke up on the wrong side of the bed w/ wax in his ears, but just my two cents.  My collection contains 5 more discs of his String Quartets & Quintets (total of 24 - might just stop there!  ::))  Dave :)

QuotePleyel, Ignaz (1757-1831) - String Quartets, Op. 2, Nos.1-6 w/ Ensō Quartet - well, I thought of just continuing w/ the rest of the discs in my collection of Pleyel's SQs - in the mid-1770s, Pleyel studied w/ Haydn for several years; his Op. 2 works were written in 1784 and are early in Pleyel's String Quartet composing; from the Benton Catalogue, their numbers are B. 307-312.  Attached are a half dozen or so reviews for those interested - most are quite good except for some 'average' ratings by the All Music reviewers. Dave :)

SonicMan46

Now listening to the CDs below:

Pleyel's String Quartets, B. 365-367 and String Quintets, B. 271-273 & B. 277-279 (B. refers to the Rita Benton Catalogue of his works); she includes about 70 (or more w/ A/B versions) String Quartets and over a dozen String Quintets (and more if Quintets w/ flute/oboe are added).

These 3 CDs are produced by Ars Produktion which has released nearly 20 recordings of Pleyel's compositions, shown in the bottom figure (click to enlarge, if interested).  About two-thirds of these are available on Spotify; many of the other discs are Symphonies, S. Concertantes, Concertos, and more string works.  Few seem to be available on Amazon USA or across the pond at the usual sites that I frequent, but there is an International Pleyel Society that has a shop w/ many recorded offerings - believe an upcoming post.  Dave :)

Scion7

Gurn, any chance of re-titling this topic? 
I have it on good authority that Snyprrr was lured/abducted by a couple of female vampires to a cave in Silesia, where they drain him nightly of just enough blood to keep themselves alive, but not causing the death of the host . . . obviously, the lad won't be coming back to complain, the poor chap hanging upside down and bound to prevent escape.   :P
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

SonicMan46

Quote from: Scion7 on November 03, 2021, 07:45:03 PM
Gurn, any chance of re-titling this topic? 
I have it on good authority that Snyprrr was lured/abducted by a couple of female vampires to a cave in Silesia, where they drain him nightly of just enough blood to keep themselves alive, but not causing the death of the host . . . obviously, the lad won't be coming back to complain, the poor chap hanging upside down and bound to prevent escape.   :P

Well, TTT after less than 2 years!:laugh:

Just ordered the CD below of the Prussian Quartets 10-12 to complement my other 3 discs, i.e. Nos. 1-9 - price only $9 USD from PrestoMusic which is having a CPO sale; so if interested in this composer, there are quite a few 'on sale' along w/ numerous other companies having sales.  Dave :)

P.S. brings my Pleyel collection up to 20 CDs

Que

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 19, 2022, 09:19:05 AM
Well, TTT after less than 2 years!:laugh:

Just ordered the CD below of the Prussian Quartets 10-12 to complement my other 3 discs, i.e. Nos. 1-9 - price only $9 USD from PrestoMusic which is having a CPO sale; so if interested in this composer, there are quite a few 'on sale' along w/ numerous other companies having sales.  Dave :)

P.S. brings my Pleyel collection up to 20 CDs

I listened to a couple from that series a while ago - very good indeed!  :)