Peterson-Berger

Started by Scarpia, November 29, 2009, 07:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS

Quote from: vers la flamme on May 17, 2022, 04:12:51 PM
If you're not keen on it I'll gladly take it off your hands, free of charge  ;D

I'm not sure where it is at the moment...
But I rarely get rid of CDs, unless I've bought a second copy as part of a set. I fish them out from time to time for a new listen to see if it hits me different. This is especially true of gnarlier moderns like Boulez (took multiple listens over several years before he clicked with me).

The only CD I've purposely given away because I hated it so badly I knew I'd never listen to it again was Cameron Carpenter playing Bach

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

For the record, I don't think much of Peterson-Berger, but I'm not getting rid of my CPO set of his symphonies and orchestral works. I'm always leaving the door open --- even if it's halfway open.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 17, 2022, 04:50:11 PM
For the record, I don't think much of Peterson-Berger, but I'm not getting rid of my CPO set of his symphonies and orchestral works. I'm always leaving the door open --- even if it's halfway open.
I like 3,2 and 5 but less so the other ones.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Quote from: vers la flamme on May 17, 2022, 03:45:16 PM
Been enjoying this composer's second symphony on CPO. The filler works are nice, too. I like it better than I expected to.
Would love to hear more. What should I check out next?

Peterson-Berger's music seems to divide opinion, but I love his Symphonies 2, 3 (my favorite), and 4, Violin Concerto, Tornrosasagan, and a few other works. I'm enchanted by the unpretentious lyrical charm and glittering orchestration present in his works.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on May 22, 2022, 10:57:33 AM
Peterson-Berger's music seems to divide opinion, but I love his Symphonies 2, 3 (my favorite), and 4, Violin Concerto, Tornrosasagan, and a few other works. I'm enchanted by the unpretentious lyrical charm and glittering orchestration present in his works.
3 is my favourite too Kyle but I also like 2 and 5 and the charming Violin Concerto. I must listen to No.4. Peterson-Berger was an anti-semite but also anti-Nazi (Atterberg as well had a rather questionable relationship with the Third Reich, but none of this stops me enjoying their music).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vers la flamme

From what I can tell Peterson-Berger was a bit of an "anti-everything" type. Quite the cantankerous fellow, in his critical capacity.

kyjo

Quote from: vers la flamme on May 23, 2022, 03:12:42 AM
From what I can tell Peterson-Berger was a bit of an "anti-everything" type. Quite the cantankerous fellow, in his critical capacity.

Yeah, given his apparent personality as a critic, you'd expect his music to be deadly serious, ill-tempered, dour, etc. when in actuality his music is just the opposite: cheerful, colorful, and unpretentiously tuneful. ;D
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on May 22, 2022, 01:30:49 PM
3 is my favourite too Kyle but I also like 2 and 5 and the charming Violin Concerto. I must listen to No.4. Peterson-Berger was an anti-semite but also anti-Nazi (Atterberg as well had a rather questionable relationship with the Third Reich, but none of this stops me enjoying their music).

You might find No. 4 a bit too "light-hearted" but I find it to be a charming and endearing work. Just don't expect any looming catastrophe! ;D