Francis Poulenc

Started by Boris_G, July 16, 2007, 12:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PSmith08

Quote from: Hector on July 17, 2007, 05:55:04 AM
I won't spoil the plot...er, because there is no way we are going to find out each nun gets the chop at the end even by Googling it?

It is, without doubt, one of the great post-war operas, up there with Britten, Birtwistle and Zimmermann, for example.

Yeah, well, you can indeed get the plot off the internet; still, if someone wants to suck all the emotional punch out of it, that's their business. I'm not going to ruin the last scene for them (and, you really have to get to the last scene for everything to click.)

The new erato

I like Les Mamelles de Tiresias, superb and fun and totally different to the Dialogues, and a magnificent recording:

Have seen it (or them?) on stage and I am conviced both operas belong in the canon of 20th century operas.

PSmith08

Quote from: erato on July 17, 2007, 10:17:42 AM
I like Les Mamelles de Tiresias, superb and fun and totally different to the Dialogues, and a magnificent recording:

Have seen it (or them?) on stage and I am conviced both operas belong in the canon of 20th century operas.

So you wouldn't say, then, that you had foresuffered all?  ;)

George

I love everything I have heard by Poulenc.

He's so much fun!  :)

Maciek

I'll be on the lookout for that complete set but before I grab it, may I recommend this excellent disc?

(click on the image for a review)

JoshLilly

karlhenning

We've started rehearsing two of his Christmas motets, and they're musical landmines  8)

Lady Chatterley

Lady Chatterley

Quote from: karlhenning on November 19, 2007, 04:07:17 PM
We've started rehearsing two of his Christmas motets, and they're musical landmines  8)

As hard as the runs in Handel ?

karlhenning

Quote from: Muriel on November 19, 2007, 04:09:40 PM
As hard as the runs in Handel ?

Harder, really. Those runs you can focus pretty much on your line, and keeping in time with the conductor.  Poulenc's harmonies and voice-leading, while pleasing to the ear, have their treacherous moments, and when the choir is still not confident of the piece, the whole things yaws over on its side and sinks  :(

Lady Chatterley

Quote from: karlhenning on November 19, 2007, 04:18:32 PM
Harder, really. Those runs you can focus pretty much on your line, and keeping in time with the conductor.  Poulenc's harmonies and voice-leading, while pleasing to the ear, have their treacherous moments, and when the choir is still not confident of the piece, the whole things yaws over on its side and sinks  :(

Yes I see what you mean,how many more rehearsals till the performance?

karlhenning

Quote from: Muriel on November 19, 2007, 04:22:36 PM
Yes I see what you mean, how many more rehearsals till the performance?

Not sure, since Ed hasn't told us when he plans to program them.  So it's still pretty much on the knees of the gods.

val

What I really like in Poulenc is the chamber music, with the beautiful flute sonata and the oboe sonate, and the choral works, in special Figure Humaine, Motets pour un temps de Penitence, Litanies à la Verge Noire ...

Mark

Quote from: val on November 20, 2007, 01:16:01 AM
What I really like in Poulenc is the chamber music ...

Agree absolutely. I think Poulenc is best in these and his songs.

71 dB

Thanks to Mark I have been listening to two Poulenc chamber music discs on Naxos lately. I am a Poulenc newbie and I have yet to get the style of this composer but what I have heard is good.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

rubio

Quote from: val on November 20, 2007, 01:16:01 AM
What I really like in Poulenc is the chamber music, with the beautiful flute sonata and the oboe sonate, and the choral works, in special Figure Humaine, Motets pour un temps de Penitence, Litanies à la Verge Noire ...

I love the sound of the oboe. Do you have any recommendations for a recording of some Poulenc chamber music?
"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Drasko

Quote from: rubio on November 20, 2007, 02:01:42 AM
I love the sound of the oboe. Do you have any recommendations for a recording of some Poulenc chamber music?

Naxos is excellent (5 discs, start with vol.2, Spaendonck on clarinet is fabulous) or EMI Rouge et Noir double ( with Fevrier, Portal, Debost...), EMI is also licensed to Brilliant (four discs - two chamber + two solo piano with Tacchino).

Haven't heard Decca series with Roge.

Mark

I just tried posting a few samples from my downloads at eMusic, but only members would be able to hear them. Ho hum. :-\

I'll just confirm what Drasko says about the superb Poulenc Complete Chamber Music series on Naxos - all five discs are gems. But I have a different favourite for the Clainet & Piano Sonata: Julian Bliss (clar) and Julien Quentin (pf) on EMI Debut. A very fine account in sonics superior to the Naxos recording. ;)

not edward

Quote from: Drasko on November 20, 2007, 02:30:18 AM
Haven't heard Decca series with Roge.
I have the original release of one disc of it (sextet, trio, three wind sonatas). Overall it's probably a fraction better than the Naxos: in particular the sextet comes out particularly well with Roge. However, I do prefer the Naxos version of the clarinet sonata.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

val

Regarding the chamber music I have the DECCA recording with Pascal Rogé (piano), Gallois (flute), Bourgue (oboe), Portal (clarinet). It is very good, fresh and natural, with Rogé at his best.

Regarding the choral music I think that the best recording is the one of the Groupe Vocal de France conducted by John Alldis. The 4 Motets pour le temps de Noel are delightful.