Author Topic: Francis Poulenc  (Read 56816 times)

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
Re: Francis Poulenc
« Reply #300 on: May 26, 2021, 05:49:31 PM »
Look at us, Cesar. We’re turning into opera snobs! ;) ;D But, seriously, this is a fine opera and gorgeous. I need to revisit it. I remember liking the Nagano performance, but I don’t have anything to compare it to as it’s the only one I’ve heard.

Certainly, there are many outstanding operas that I shouldn't miss. I'm tempted to follow with Schreker. In spite of it's not my favorite form, I'm appreciating operas more and more. This one by Poulenc has proved to be worth listening.
Give us something else; give us something new; for Heaven's sake give us something bad, so long as we feel we are alive and active and not just passive admirers of tradition!

Carl Nielsen

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1962 - 1918)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Debussy, Mahler, Strauss, Sibelius, Bartók et. al.
« Reply #301 on: May 26, 2021, 06:19:41 PM »
For some reason, I thought you owned the Poulenc EMI Oeuvres complètes box...That has a 1958 recording with Théâtre National de l'Opéra de Paris, cond. Pierre Dervaux.
[That's the only recording I own, though I've seen it live. With very few exceptions, I just don't have the budget or shelf space to go for multiple recordings of operas.]

Ah yes, I do own that set, T. D., but I haven’t listened to that Dervaux recording. I owned the Nagano previously and have only listened to that one.
"Works of art create rules; rules do not create works of art." - Claude Debussy

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #302 on: May 27, 2021, 06:11:12 AM »

Today this was playing here at home. No wonder if it's considered Poulenc's magnum opus. The music is very lyrical and tinged with much drama at once. The historic facts that inspired it are tragic, and Poulenc really succeeded at portraying them in music. The result is nothing short of exceptional IMO.

The recording and performance were up to the expectations as well.

+1 A masterpiece. Poulenc is undoubtedly one of the greatest composers of vocal music ever. His writing for the voice is so natural and lyrical, without any recourse to conventional operatic histrionics.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff